Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2003, 07:24 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Floor Bounce?

I am curious, how many of you experience some (minimal) floor movement when you walk across it on your older units? We are perplexed by the fact that when we walk from front to back there is some give. I have the normal repair to do by the door, but the rest should be rot free. I think it's probably normal for a 48 year old trailer to have some give or should it be absolutely rock solid?
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Yeah I have noticed it in our 59 and here is what I suspect. If you look at the weight of one of these older units compaired to the newer units of same lenght there is a lot of difference in the weight. Some of that is frame spacing and frame hight I suspect. When you have the leveling stands at either end then the trailer is bowing in the center.

What I did about it:
Thew a couple stands under the center where some of the frame was exposed where the leaf springs are mounted. Made the spring in the floor much less noticable because the suspension could not compress as you walked through the unit.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Hey Toaster,

I was thinking the same thing, it's 30 feet long and I've got jacks at the rear bumper and just the tongue jack, so I was thinking it might be flex too.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
My mh (1974, just a kid) has 20" between some of the floor supports and didn't have any central supports running the parallel to the body length. It was springy, 1/2" plywood twisted and tweaked for years. The design pretty much forces everyone to walk in a relatively narrow path, more stress on the old wood.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
My 74 has some bounce in the rear end when set up. I don't have any rear end separation issues that I am aware of. I think it is mainly attributed to the location of the rear stabilizers, they are directly behind the rear tires. They would be of more use much further aft but I can see that they would be more likely to drag on the pavement. I got a set of the portable cast aluminum screw jacks and use them to get the rear end at the bumper more stable, they really made a difference!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote