Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Floor Bolt Placement

Need some helpful input, please.............

I am about to replace the rear section of floor in my Safari and noticed that the wood is not attached to the channel in the curved sections. After a little digging out in a rotted area, I found bolts under the channel that do attach the wood to the frame. Strangely enough, the rot that is causing the repair is also in the curved sections where the wood is not attached. There is no rot in the whole center section where the channel is attached and completely flush with the wood.

The channel that is presently there does not have a bottom section that the plywood would slip into. The new channel that I have to install does have that bottom part.

My questions: Is it common for the floor not to be bolted to the channel in the curve and will I run the risk of damage, overstressing the material, etc., if I do attach it in the curve when I install the new channel?

Thanks in advance, TB

Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender
Need some helpful input, please.............

I am about to replace the rear section of floor in my Safari and noticed that the wood is not attached to the channel in the curved sections. After a little digging out in a rotted area, I found bolts under the channel that do attach the wood to the frame. Strangely enough, the rot that is causing the repair is also in the curved sections where the wood is not attached. There is no rot in the whole center section where the channel is attached and completely flush with the wood.

The channel that is presently there does not have a bottom section that the plywood would slip into. The new channel that I have to install does have that bottom part.

My questions: Is it common for the floor not to be bolted to the channel in the curve and will I run the risk of damage, overstressing the material, etc., if I do attach it in the curve when I install the new channel?

Thanks in advance, TB
Hi tinbender; Yes, you need to bolt the floor through the new floor channel. You can use 1/4-20 carriage bolts or use flat washers under the heads of standard bolt. Be sure that bolts go through outriggers. Thanks, "Boatdoc"

Old 03-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
TB,
I would also consider the upgrade to stainless bolts they cost a bit more but are well worth it IMHO. I haven't gotten back to the rear on mine...yet. But based on what I found up front there were no bolts in the curved part just some surface screws that were long gone.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Where you bolt the channel to the floor where there is no framework underneath, putting large area washers (fender washers) under the nut is another good idea.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
No c-channel in the curves.

Based on what I saw on my 1973 I would say that it is common for the channel around the curve not to have the lower c-channel part on the bottom of the u-channel. There were 1/4" bolts holding the floor and the channel together in the curved areas though.

Malcolm
Old 03-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
floor bolt placement

One and all,

Thanks a lot for all the good info, quick too!!!!!

Didn't mention that the bottom c channel that I have for replacement is 5/8", guess I will have to take a little off around the edges to go back with 3/4" wood. Oh, well, just a little more work but I think it will be an asset to have the floor in it. Firm support all the way around. Most of all, I'm glad I only have to replace one sheet.

TB