Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

vidalia , Georgia
Flipping the frame

I m in the process of a shell off restoration of a 66 Overlander. I read a thread a while back where the owner flipped the frame to install the insulation and belly pan. I cannot find that thread, Can someone help me out or are there any tips or other threads I should check out?

Thanks
Glt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, if you look at post #9 of the following thread, you can see me flipping my frame using the gantries that were built to lift the shell and 3 chain hoists.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...on-115765.html

The way I did it, is I used a loop of high strength webbing inside the A-frame and attached it to a single chain hoist. The way this worked, the hook of the hoist could slip around the circumfrence of the loop as the frame rotated 180 degress, thus, I didn't have to create any fance pivot, and there was very little chance that my hoist could lose its connection with that end of the frame.

On the rear end of the frame, I used two hoists that had a common anchor at the center of the gantry cross beam. They were each connected to the far corner of the frame, again with chain or webbing attached inside the rear cross member so that they could not slip off and allow the frame to drop.

To lift and flip, I essentially lifted the entire frame up to a level of about 4 ft off the ground, and then I started to raise one of the rear corners, while slacking off on the other to execture an control the rotation. Once the fram was hanging vertically (ie., entirely from one of the hoists), I would disconnect the lowermost hoist, flip it around to the other side, and then reverse the process until the frame was horizontal again, but upside down.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glt12 View Post
I m in the process of a shell off restoration of a 66 Overlander. I read a thread a while back where the owner flipped the frame to install the insulation and belly pan. I cannot find that thread, Can someone help me out or are there any tips or other threads I should check out?

Thanks
Airstream installs many parts with the frames flipped.

Then they flip them back on the floor because the frame also, then has wheels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
See post #43 to see our photos about installing insulation while frame flipped
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100750

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane
Old 12-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
photos of flipping

https://www.flickr.com/photos/453877...57649328601853

I saw this link from the FB group Airstream Addicts and it shows an off frame restoration and it's flipped over to put the new belly pan and insulation in and then flipped back over. It's scary!
LSDPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Hmm. That would be soon much easier than being on your back!
GuitarmanFL is offline   Reply With Quote