Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2002, 10:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fixing the Floor

I have just stripped out the interior of my 61 Bambi and discovered something unusual on the third seam from the front of the plywood flooring. The wood is solid, however the bolts that hold the two peices down at the seam have all rusted out and are missing. Question for those of you that have replaced a floor - why would this happen or what do this bolts attach to? if you stand directly on the seam, everything seems fine, but if you stand on one floorboard near but not over the seam, theres is about a half inch of play. I kind of afraid of removing the floorboards or the underskin to have a look.
61BambiCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 05:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Removing a belly pan

You can't remove the floor unless you remove the Belly pan. Removing a belly pan is really not a big deal. All you need is a drill, a 1/8" drill bit, a pair of vise grips to remove the few, sure to rusted sheet metal screws, eye protection and some patience. On a Bambi, it should only take about 2 hours. You will also have to remove the clamps that hold the gas lines to the frame. Take care not to damage the aluminum pan or the gas lines as you will be putting it all back. A ton of dirt and cooties will be on the pan. Remember the eye protection I mentioned? Re-installallation of the pan will be with long 1/8" aluminum rivets available anywhere. The rivets are not anything special, just try to get some with the bigger rivet head.

With your belly pan removed, you will be able to inspect most of the flooring from the bottom, right out to the edges. This is the only way to truly check out the floor. You will find a layer of fiberglass insulation underneath the floor. Take an ice pick and carefully probe around the entire perimeter to look for soft spots. Look especially below, around and behind the bath. If the floor has failed around the edges the entire floor will have to be replaced. The floor is what holds the whole trailer together. You cannot fix it by just placing new wood on old. I have posted several threads in the floor repair section on how to do this.

Those bolts that are missing are kind of a modified carriage bolt with a flat instead of dome/round head. They attach to your frame. Airstream used a long bolt with a nut/washer and bent the long thread to keep the nut from backing off.

It seems kind of odd that they are missing as usually the center of the wood floor is very solid even on an old trailer. It is usually the perimeter that is rotten from various leaks down the side walls, vents, doors, water heater or plumbing that failed. Did it have a leak under the roof vent?

Lucky for you, many of the Forum members have gone before you and you will find the answers already here for the many questions that you will have. If you don't find an answer, post away.

Have fun, work safely and keep us posted on your discoveries and progress.

Best Regards;
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Hanger bolts?

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyW
Those bolts that are missing are kind of a modified carriage bolt with a flat instead of dome/round head. They attach to your frame. Airstream used a long bolt with a nut/washer and bent the long thread to keep the nut from backing off.
I am just about ready to install new decking in my trailer, and was hoping to use the original style (hanger?) bolts that were in the floor. Unfortunately, no one around here sells them. Neither does InlandRV.

It looks like carriage bolts will work just fine, but I was curious if anyone had suggestions or recommendations for bolting the decking to the frame.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Fixing the floor

What you're looking for are called 'elevator' bolts. (No, I don't know why) They are available at many old fashioned hardware stores, but are very expensive by the piece. Try to find them on the web from any full range fastener supply house.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Hanger bolts?

Quote:
Originally posted by tcwilliams

I am just about ready to install new decking in my trailer, and was hoping to use the original style (hanger?) bolts that were in the floor. Unfortunately, no one around here sells them. Neither does InlandRV.

It looks like carriage bolts will work just fine, but I was curious if anyone had suggestions or recommendations for bolting the decking to the frame.

Thanks,
Tom
I found them in stock at the local fastener supply place. Place I used was threads of the South. Local RV place buys from them as well the sales man told me. I went with a Nylock Nut.

If you can't find them local then shoot me a PM. I'm not horribly far. I could swing by and pick them up and ship them but I'm sure you can find somebody local. Heck my local Ace Hardware stocks them but wanted too much.

150 was more then enough to do our 22ft.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 07:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Here
http://wholesale.superpages.com/b2b/.../T-Huntsville/
Fastenal has a location there. I know they can get it but that bottom place would probably be cheaper.

Here they are at Fastenall
http://www.fastenal.com/shoponline/s...asp?CatID=2433

These should do the trick.
http://www.fastenal.com/shoponline/s...?ProdID=140333
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Thanks for the links - I appreciate you taking the time to post them.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote