Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #99
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'll have to go check that out.
After doing a couple of quick google searches, it seems that you should have the protection of a full space-suit to spray the por, so I think I'll just suck it up and brush it.

I need to talk to you about one of those dent rollers, too. got a few small dents (dimples) in front (from stones picked up on the road, no doubt), and I figure since everything is out of there, might as well have a crack at smoothing them out, if its possible. Would a small headed rubber mallet be appropriate? I took one larger one out (mostly) with the bottom of my fist. (like pounding fist on a table). there was a little bit of a crease in that one, and its still visible. I don't know if that should be "rolled", or heated, or what. School me!

spent all day wire-wheeling the frame today. dirty dirty dirty...probably as bad as polishing!

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #100
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Ok, on my "vacation" last week, I managed to get the floor out, frame cleaned up, prepped, por-15-ed, new floor sourced, and cut.
then I ran out of vacation.

Next weekend, I'll finish prepping the floor...sanding, cutting rabbets (mortise?), etc. (there's a 1/8th angle-aluminum piece in the doorway area that sits on top of the outriggers that should be accommodated, as well as the 1/8th or so thick wheel wells). probably won't get to put it in place, just yet, as "coats" (epoxy/varnish) will have to dry.

here we are all prepped:

and, the money shot:

Here's a shot of the original floor, all laid out:

And the new:

and no, the front piece is not wider than the other 2; I just don't have 3 sets of the same height saw horses.

Now all I gotta do is slide all this to the left.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
The wood and frame look really good. Did you put a top coat on the POR? Its pretty shiny.

I can't really see if you have any voids on the edge of your plywood, but when I epoxied mine, I had voids, and used a thickening additive to make a thicker epoxy mix, and filled the voids in my plywood edges. I would bet the rot starts on the edges, and this may help deter that.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #102
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
No, no top coat; it won't be necessary for 99% of it, as it will not see daylight; only in a couple of spots will it be needed. (steps, and the frame that supports the fresh tank). But yeah, its very glossy stuff. Looks wet, but its not.
I got a couple of coats of epoxy on the flooring this weekend. I ran out of the supply I had left over from last year...thought there might be enough to just do the edges, but no. ran out. Had to get another 100 bucks worth, the smallest amount you can buy...which is way more than I need. (sigh).
Oh, well. It should be ready to put back in next weekend.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #103
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Floor is IN. It actually went in much easier than I expected. The hard part is getting the walls/floor channel re-aligned. On the door side, I managed to get everything pretty straight, so much so that I even got all the rivet holes in the skin lined up with the rivet holes in the floor channel. But on the street side...not so much. I got some of them aligned at the front end, but toward the rear, they don't quite match. Seems that the holes in the skin are lower than the holes in the floor channel by a hair. I don't think its a big deal, and it might even be nuts to try. But I'm fairly convinced that its as close it it can be.

Anyway, spent a lot of time fussing with that.

Here's a couple of beauty shots:

My son and I manged to get the fresh tank re-installed today. This is one thing that actually goes back together easier than it comes apart! (nice smooth fresh paint lets things slide in easy.)

Its amazing that on a tank this large, there are very few options for attaching a see-level gauge sensor. The seam between the top and bottom halfs of the tank is fairly prominent, and I was afraid that might interfere with the operation of the sensor. I picked the smoothest spot where it would fit, then sanded down the bump a bit. hope its ok.

You can see the original sensor locations, I imagine installed by the tank factory, as they're spin-welded fittings. No wonder the tank seemed to stay full for a loooong time...then all of a sudden empty. The top sensor is at the half-way point.
not understanding the logic, here.

Anyway, new see-level sensor installed. (this would have been extremely difficult to do if the tank were installed.).

Old 09-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Looks great!!!!
Old 09-06-2016, 01:30 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Looks more than great your floor could be left like that it's beautiful.

Chuck, one thing is for SURE, you are NOT a quitter!!!!! You started this thread in 2011!!!! Amen man, keep up the good work!!!!
Old 09-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #106
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Thanks. It does look pretty...the camera is actually rather forgiving. up close, you can see that the plywood isn't exactly what you'd call "cabinet grade".
And yeah, 5 years, and its still being taken apart. . Progress is discouragingly slow. I think we're turning a big corner, here, though. Soon it will all be "re-assembly". I still need to do the interior end-caps, which I left in place because I have no place to put them. And the ceiling vents--all of them are leaking (a tiny bit). Since I was planning on replacing 2 of them with fantastic vents, I figure I should just do that now, rather than re-seal the old ones. (on the + side, these are the only major leaks I've found so far; the worst was actually the old bracket that supported the back end of the original Skyliner antenna. It was held in with 2 olympic rivets, and they were leaking like a sieve. When you looked at them from inside, you can see that there are no mandrels in them, and water just poured in. I fixed that last night, actually, ahead of some forecast rain.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #107
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Looking good!
Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
New floors always look good
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #109
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
You know, I was just thinking about my rooftop excursion yesterday, and just how wobbly things felt up there. I spent plenty of time up there in the past...hours and hours scraping off old sealant from the vents, and replacing, and yeah, its flimsy up there; you need to stay on the bows, etc. But it really felt particularly unstable up there yesterday. more than I remember from the last time I was up there. I was thinking...did I gain weight? nah, not significantly.

Then it dawned on me: the interior skins and insulation are all out. That was never the case before, and they probably provide at least some strength and rigidity. So...maybe I should hold off on the notion of replacing the vents. Its one (quick) thing to drill out and replace to rivets; replacing a vent is going to require setting up camp up there for some time. Maybe I can just do a quick-fix sort of thing...aluminum tape, or a couple of quick blobs of caulk. But I'm thinking I shouldn't be up there until the interior is back in place.

These leaks are really small, so I don't think its "critical". If you go into the trailer after it rains, you will find a bead of water on the vent housing...then look to the floor directly under it, and not be able to find a wet spot.
worst case could be remediated with a strategically placed bucket.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #110
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
again, another year goes by without an update.

Well, I haven't quit. There's been progress; just not much to show with a picture.
Since we left off, my buddy Wayne did me a huge favor and came over to buck rivet the shell back on. The rest of the fall season was spent installing new brake lines, and new belly-pan sections. Then I pretty much ran out of weather, and had to move the trailer back to its winter parking spot where it sat for the season.
This spring, my father became critically ill, and has been hospitalized for months, which has taken a fair amount of my trailer time. He is on the mend, and I have made some further progress. Again, its not much to "see," so there aren't a lot of pictures. I've removed the end caps and cleared out the last of the mouse-poopy insulation, added some new wires (added a separate circuit for a possible microwave, and a couple of other outlets for convenience), added solar pre-wires (#6 wires from the fridge vent to the battery area), and also a bunch of TV wires for cable/antenna, hdmi, audio, satellite, etc), and a new air-conditioner condensate drain line.
Once that was done--installed insulation. I decided to go with Roxul mineral wool. I was originally planning on rigid polyisocyanurate, but decided to go mineral wool for the sake of time. (This has been going on for way too long as it is!). After further research and thread-scrubbing, it just seemed like the rigid was going to take a lot of extra time, and I really don't think the r-value difference is....well, those discussions are interesting, but really kind of like arguing about how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin. The walls are 1.5 inches thick. the "studs" are metal. whatever you do, its going to "suck" compared to a house. 2x or 3x or 4x sucky is still sucky, and you're not going to live in this thing in the winter. ANYway, I got the insulation finished last weekend, and I can start re-installing the inner skins this weekend.
I'll add some pics eventually.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #111
1 Rivet Member

Theodore , AL
Keep 'em coming Chuck! This has been a very interesting tread for me! Thanks.