Old 08-02-2004, 05:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Interesting approach..

I am interested in following along with your thinking here. If it wasn't for the cost I would think that an aluminum honeycomb panel would be the answer. You know, two skins of thin aluminum with a honeycomb of aluminum hexagons in between. I have no idea how such a panel is manufactured if welding is involved though. Another thought might be to use some sort of corrugated or ribbed aluminum panel on the bottom with a flat panel attatched to the top. Could aluminum be spot welded to attach the top sheet to the bottom sheet? What about rivits or epoxy?

Malcolm

Old 08-02-2004, 05:29 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Epoxy

Malcolm,

I have actually seen composite panels being built in a factory, real high tech stuff, they have a couple of people slopping epoxy glue on a sheet of metal then the plop the composite core in the epoxy then flop a sheet of flat stock with more epoxy on top, then run it thru the oven to set the epoxy. The ones I saw being made were using a honeycomb made of some type of fiber reinforced cardboard. They were intended for use as an architectural wall panel. But they do make one with an aluminum honeycomb. Didn't ask how much...probably don't want to know BTW I am watching this with interest too. I have a rear floor replacement staring me in the wallet too

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:42 PM   #17
Craftsman

Just a note: Land Rovers have always had aluminum floors reinforced
with galvinized steel bracing riveted together . It's said that three quarters of all that were made are still on the road.
Jack
Old 08-02-2004, 06:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Just a note: Land Rovers have always had aluminum floors reinforced
with galvinized steel bracing riveted together . It's said that three quarters of all that were made are still on the road.
Jack
That is interesting; I didn’t know that Land Rovers were built so well. I am planning on having the supports made of aluminum welded to the floor instead of riveted as I feel that will give better support.

In fact, since slipping the 1/8" piece in place should be a little easier without it’s under bracing. Once it is in place all the under bracing can be put in place and a commercial welder is going to come out to weld everything as I specify.

At present I am just getting everything lined up as I have yet to remove all the interior in back and the belly pan, black tank, and anything else that needs removal. When I have it welded everything under there will be insulated against the welding sparks so as not to accidentally burn an unwanted hole someplace. Also someone inside as well as outside for fire prevention.

Right now I just need to get the engineering of the new floor up to snuff, and hear all the input I can get from members

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #19
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Malcolm,

Didn't ask how much...probably don't want to know BTW I am watching this with interest too. I have a rear floor replacement staring me in the wallet too

Aaron
We had a discussion on composite floors about 6 weeks ago. http://www.airforums.com/forum...3&postcount=11
Old 08-03-2004, 10:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
We had a discussion on composite floors about 6 weeks ago. http://www.airforums.com/forum...3&postcount=11
The thread you are referring to is correctly located at http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=osb+flooring and the discussion is not at all about the use of Aluminum for a floor but is instead about OSB floooring which is a material of less quality that any grade of exterior plywood. OSB is unsuitable by all specifications, even the humidity index of OSB is only rated to 19% meaning that it will hold up well if it does not encounter any water or high degrees of mosture.
I certainly hope that nobody has used this material as it will fail.

Please see the last drawing above as this is where the discussion about the use of Aluminum as a floor have matured. Comments are appreciated. If you even think of a minor flaw, besides cost, then please post it.

John G
Old 08-03-2004, 11:39 PM   #21
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
The thread you are referring to is correctly located at http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=osb+flooring and the discussion is not at all about the use of Aluminum for a floor but is instead about OSB floooring which is a material of less quality that any grade of exterior plywood.
Excuse me. The thread cited was about OSB, but did discuss aluminum composite flooring starting at #9.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Sorry Don,

I didn't mean my comments to step on your toes, and I did miss the aluminum, fiberglass or carbon/kevlar over a core of nomex honey comb material comment. I don't know what the name of the material he is referring to is, what kind of weight it would have, or the cost.

I know the floor I am trying to implement is going to cost bigger bucks than the marine plywood, and that part is going to be weighed into the equation before I finally decide what to do, but I don't think the cost are going to reach the mark of "Out of the question." I am just trying to work the kinks out of this idea to see if it is plausible.

There are a lot of materials that we can use today that are better than plywood, but usually the cost is what keeps most of us using lower grade materials.

I am working my TT from the front to the back so the floor I intend on replacing is last and probably won't even begin until 3 months or so. Believe me I have enough work to keep me busy all during that time. But once I do get to it I would like to have this idea either accepted or rejected so I know which route to take.

Careful planning if you know what I mean.

John G
Old 08-04-2004, 11:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

I am thinking that the tublar support or stifners may not give support enough and may allow bending of the floor between supports. Would placing one more support across the piece right in the middle take care of this, or am I overkilling it?

John G
Old 08-04-2004, 01:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
CoDeMo Panels...

There is a type of plastic composite panel that I came very close to using for my floor replacement. The main reason I didn't was that the factory did not have any of the specific product in stock and would not be doing another production run for a month. The factory is also in Iowa and I am in Oregon - hence the shipping costs for 7 - 4'x8' sheets would have added up. I was quoted about $90 per 3/4"x4'x8' sheet of Series 800 panels. They are black by the way. The product is billed as an alternative to marine plywood. Check out the following site for more information:

http://www.hettingatechnology.com/priema/codemo.html

There is another company that I discoverd that sells a lot of different types of composite panels including ones made with aluminum. The price list part of their website does not seem to be working at the moment but you can check out their products at:

http://www.nudo.com/

Malcolm
Old 08-04-2004, 02:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

I went to their website and requested samples through my company name. Perhaps you have found the perfect solution. That stuff reads like just what we want. The weight is very comparative to marine plywood. it says 73lbs for a sheet 4x8 at 5/8" thickness ao I roughly figure 3/4" sheet would weigh 87.6 lbs. I would however like to see their comparason to marine plywoods strengths since they advertise it as a replacement material. The one thing that concerns me is its strength under high heat. The site only shows testing to 160 degrees, but if it is maintaning all of its strength at that temperture then we will have no problem. I am now wondering if I will have to order multiple sheets to get a certain price.
This stuff is really good sounding. I wish you had tried it then we would have had a 1st hand report. I might just be the guinni-pig here.
I didn't see a price on their site. Did you ask them to send you any samples?

John G
Old 08-11-2004, 12:18 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Just an update, I am still waiting on the CoDeMo samples. Hope they get here soon so I can decide if this material is right for the job.

John G
Old 08-11-2004, 07:56 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

we also are still researching DuraDeck , the aluminum flooring from Tracker Marine. Were just back from the streetrod nationals in louisville ky. where we broke one of our toys, the 47 chevy suburban. We have three shows in three weeks so repair to the burb is job #1 and the Airstream goes to the back burner, some times life seems unfair? guess we'll drive the woody while the burb is sick ! Anyhow there is a sight that shows just a bit about Dura Deck, if i were as smart as some of you i could post a link ! But i'm one of those who needs Child Supervision to work the computer ! if you do a search for Tracker Marine go to suntracker , there pontoon, then Dura Deck you can see what were looking at.
roger n cindy
Old 08-11-2004, 08:09 AM   #28
Site Team

, Minnesota
Here's the Duradeck: http://www.suntrackerboats.com/index....storyDuraDeck
John, The CoDeMo samples they send you are only about 2"x3", not much to evaluate as far as bendability.