Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Don't worry: be Hopi

Most Hopi would not worry about a 1/2" rear separation but I am not so sure..... This is a 1976 29' rear bath model. I bought it 4 years ago and had no experience with AS trailers. I did a lot of reading in the Since the trailer was in good shape for a 1976, I replaced critical parts that could leave us stranded but did not know what to do about the apparent rear separation.

Two years ago I took it to a Nevada dealer for service. He said that the rear separation needed to be repaired. I left it with him for a week. When I picked it up, the repair looked ok from the outside. I assumed that my $800 was well spent and I went on my way.

Last week I happened to notice that the 1/2" gap between my frame and the shell had reappeared. I am not sure what to do now. This model has the 5" frame. It also has new axles and shocks. There is no sign of a broken frame; no cracks are visible on the frame and there is no distortion of the axle mount plate or shell.

Is rear separation a terminal condition? Is the rear separation going to cause more damage? If so what can I expect to see as evidence of progressive deterioration?

The dealer has gone out of business. How does AS handle the warranty for work done by a local dealer who has gone out of business? Should I take it to the JacksonCenter or save the gas money and find another local dealer?

Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Firrst, $800 would not have repaired the separation correctly. Our trailer had a simiklar "hack job" done on it before we bought it.
Second, almost every warranty fo any dealer or repair shop is from 90 days to maybe one year from date of repair. AFTER TWO YEARS, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any warranty, even if the dealer was still in business.
So,, if you don't want to tackle the job yourself, which would involve removing almost everything in the bathroom and replacing the entire floor back there, you should look for an Airstream dealer with a good reputation in their service department, or make an appointment with the mother ship. Jackson Center usually has a special for Wintertime repairs, give them a call if you can't find a dealer to take care of it.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote

rear separation, warranty, frame