Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Does 1967 have Aluminium Frame Floor ?

Is this true ? What are the years/history of aluminum as subfloor/main frame material ? I know this WAS done on some argosy.

I've become obsessed with the 60s airstreams and have been wondering about this but it's slightly unclear from the search function.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There were a few Argosy Minuets with a composite subfloor that had a thin layer of aluminum on the top (and perhaps the bottom, but I haven't seen that for myself.) They didn't perform well over time, tending to sag a bit between frame rails.

I think the main frame was always steel, and I don't think they ever did the composite subfloor in an Airstream-branded trailer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
Is this true ? What are the years/history of aluminum as subfloor/main frame material ? I know this WAS done on some argosy.

I've become obsessed with the 60s airstreams and have been wondering about this but it's slightly unclear from the search function.
Airstream has never used aluminum for any Airstream trailers floors. I am not sure if it was ever used in some Argosy's, but I have never seen or heard of one.
Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Don't aircraft use such floors?

Years ago, when working for the railroad in Canada, I recall that the passenger "Turbotrains" at the time in service in the US and in Canada had floors made from honeycomb aluminium composite flooring.

I was of the understanding that it was more or less common practice in airplanes - if so, why not in Airstreams?? Seems as though it would have made sense for both weight and durability standpoint.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Don't aircraft use such floors?

Years ago, when working for the railroad in Canada, I recall that the passenger "Turbotrains" at the time in service in the US and in Canada had floors made from honeycomb aluminium composite flooring.

I was of the understanding that it was more or less common practice in airplanes - if so, why not in Airstreams?? Seems as though it would have made sense for both weight and durability standpoint.

Brian.
The Turbos were special, in that they were dedicated, more-or-less permanently coupled sets. They also had steel frame members to comply with buffing force specs.
As for airplanes, they spend most of their travel time suspended from their wings, not their wheels. They also have a set number of takeoff/land cycles and air hours before they can't be used any more.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
There were a few Argosy Minuets with a composite subfloor that had a thin layer of aluminum on the top (and perhaps the bottom, but I haven't seen that for myself.) They didn't perform well over time, tending to sag a bit between frame rails.

I think the main frame was always steel, and I don't think they ever did the composite subfloor in an Airstream-branded trailer.
I have seen an Argosy Minuet 20' with the aluminum floor. It did sag between the frame. It also had plastic windows and aluminum cabinet panels. All to keep the weight done I imagine. Don't know how many were made like this but I do know of 1
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Boeing will sell you some nice carbon fiber floor panels, for the price of a new Airstream! :-)
MitchR55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi timhortons. I suspect you are catching this Airstream bug rather badly. Mumbling about 60s Airstreams is a classic symptom. Not good! Next you'll have dreams of full timing.

There are a lot of us sicko Airstream folks who like the 60s trailers. All of them were built with steel frames and 5/8" plywood subfloors. It least is was a bit better than OSB. Many of us sicko Airstreamers rather enjoy digging out the old rotted subfloor and replacing it. Can you imagine?

Costs would be higher, but we know there are stronger, more durable subfloor designs available. However we disturbed Airstreamers would have less to do.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Floor Bath.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	250390   Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Home Curb Front.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	250391  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote