Old 12-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
austin , Texas
Red face Do I need to repair/weld this?

Hi,
I've been lurking for months now, learning lots, but not enough. This is probably a very stupid question, but I would like some opinions on whether or not I need to repair this by welding or if I could safely get away with another 10 years by just treating the rust and repairing the leaks that caused this and adding some extra cross members. This is the rear of a 1976 25" Tradewind, underneath the bath. I believe my trailer is one of those that the belly skin overlaps the outer skin because when I spray water on the trailer, it runs down in streams underneath the C-channel. I'm sure that's why it ended up like this, along with the leak at the window. I know I should do it right and never have to do it again, but time is of the essence here since I'm expecting my neighbors to sue me at any moment and I can't move it until the floor is back in. Is this a repair that could be done once the floors are in place and I could take it to a professional? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
And, I apologize in advance if my pictures are not the right size. I have a Mac and cannot figure out how to change picture size in Iphoto.

Gretchen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010566.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	92887   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010565.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	92888  

Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I'd get in there and clean the rust off and find a welder that can come visit you and do the work in your driveway. Most of that material is thin enough someone with a good 110 wirefeed portable unit can do the work. I'd be inclined to get it welded before anything else is in the way, including plywood which can easily burn with welding going on.

LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Take care of it while it's easily accessible. Also, you can get "aftermarket" photo editing software that is compatible with Apple, some of it is even free.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
austin , Texas
Good point. I've been trying to find a welder and I think I might have found one today.
Thanks for the input!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
I'd get in there and clean the rust off and find a welder that can come visit you and do the work in your driveway. Most of that material is thin enough someone with a good 110 wirefeed portable unit can do the work. I'd be inclined to get it welded before anything else is in the way, including plywood which can easily burn with welding going on.
What he said.

Do it now, while everything is apart. A 110 wirefeed will do the job just fine. You will want to be sure all electronic items are completely disconnected before you do any arch welding on the frame.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
An interesting product that I have used to stop rust in it's tracks, in places that are not going to be replaced, is "Rust Mort", available at auto paint supply stores. Then a liberal coating of POR 15. You would only want to do this treatment in non-structural areas.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
What he said.

Do it now, while everything is apart. A 110 wirefeed will do the job just fine. You will want to be sure all electronic items are completely disconnected before you do any arch welding on the frame.
Okay, another stupid question.... when you say electronic items disconnected, is that appliances, lights, etc.... The entire trailer is gutted, battery and everything. We should be safe, right?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
austin , Texas
Quote:
An interesting product that I have used to stop rust in it's tracks, in places that are not going to be replaced, is "Rust Mort", available at auto paint supply stores. Then a liberal coating of POR 15. You would only want to do this treatment in non-structural areas.
Why would you only want to do this in non-structural areas? I've been using Loctite Rust Converter in other areas. Would this be similar? Yikes, the answers are bringing on more questions.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Brief hijack...

Quote:
........ You will want to be sure all electronic items are completely disconnected before you do any arch welding on the frame.
Im about to have some welding done on the Trade Wind, I wouldn't have thought of that. Many Thanks!

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmymind View Post
Okay, another stupid question.... when you say electronic items disconnected, is that appliances, lights, etc.... The entire trailer is gutted, battery and everything. We should be safe, right?
By electronic, I mean 12v stuff. Anything connected to the battery and grounded through the frame. For instance, when arch weld on a car, it is always best to disconnect the battery and the alternator. There is high amperage connected with arch welding and it has been known to cause problems with some electronic components. Anything with a circuit board that is grounded to the frame.
Always attach the ground cable on the welder as close as you can to the area being welded.
Just a precaution.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmymind View Post
Why would you only want to do this in non-structural areas? I've been using Loctite Rust Converter in other areas. Would this be similar? Yikes, the answers are bringing on more questions.
I say that, as badly rusted structural parts should be replaced if the rust has compromised the structural integrity.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
If you have much welding to do, it might almost be worth buying a small mig welder. They are not that expensive these days and quite easy to use - although obviously you'd want to practice with it a bit before working on the trailer!

They are a handy thing to have around the house for many small repairs.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the welding has been covered so no comment on that...

click on the photo in I photo and then under file at the top select export. Export it to your desktop. It will allow you to resize it there. I find 1000 x 750 to be a good size. Then when you upload photos you can do it from the desktop and they will be the size you want.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
austin , Texas
thanks for all the help!

Ya'll are awesome! Thanks for all the input and for sharing your knowledge. This is a great group of people! I'll post photos after I have it repaired. And, they'll be the right size.