Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

South , Alabama
Did I make right choice

I just passed on purchasing a 1991 Limited Classic 34' that's been sitting for 15 year. The interior was in great shape, body was in decent shape and wife could have really modernize interior with a little paint and flooring but the problem I had was with rear storage compartment rust. The rest of frame going forward seemed that it had just surface rust but without pulling the belly panels I wasn't sure so I didn't purchase. I have no experience in frame restoration or have the time but I feel I made a mistake and I was hoping more knowledgeable people could set my mind at ease. Btw they were selling it for only 12,000 here's a few pics

DougHeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I think you answered your doubts by saying that you have no experience with frame restoration or time to work on it. I don't have much experience with trailers yet, but judging from the photos I wouldn't feel comfortable buying the trailer at any price without someone more experienced looking at it and giving me a good idea of what's involved in correcting the damage. I think you made the right decision. Enjoy the search!
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
There are lots of 34' trailers for sale. Sitting unused for 15 years is a recipe for disaster. Better to spend the time and money up front to get a good trailer than to try to fix a poor one. Do not ask me how I know that, but I am pretty sure of it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

My sister said…….

What ever decision you make….is the right one…..for you.

Then I went ahead and made a lot of bad choices.

So…on the other hand, another option is to go buy a new trailer, tie up a lot of money, and loose $ 12000 driving off the lot. ( just another perspective )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
The frame really doesn't look terrible. I've certainly seen much worse on this forum. It could be repaired. The aluminum skin looks to be in great shape.

However, you have to go with what you are comfortable with. If you think the repair job is beyond your skill set, then so be it.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
To bad the last 15 years wasn't inside a nice building, in the 'dry'.

Could that damage have been cause by road salt ? Good pics,
Thats kinda scary if that kind of damage is due to just rain ?

yeah, you would have needed a good size garage and place it on Jacks so you can remove that bottom cover, to check the frame.
You will find what you want, its out there
Have a good one!
Old 05-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

South , Alabama
Did I make right choice

Thanks everyone I feel a lot better about decision and besides it was a huge camper at 34' wife and I both agree that we will find our perfect airstream out there. I just may sell a kidney and get a new one!
DougHeff is offline   Reply With Quote