Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Diamond Plate flooring?

I'll Try this again, My 61' Overlander is gutted and ready for some flooring. I'm thinking of using aluminum diamand plating to give the floor some additional strenth and ease of cleaning. Also thinking about running a strip or two bamboo or hardwood flooring down the center. Has anyone ever seen or done this? Should I not use a moisture barrier? Any drawbacks? Any help greatly appreciated!

My plan when finished is this Airstream will be like no other as we are having everything customized except for the cabinets. Still checking on that.
sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Sounds pretty cool...although diamond plate is pretty pricey. I think instead of wood or bamboo I'd go for the checkerboard racer look on that strip down the center...that with the diamond plate would look sweet. Be sure to post pics if you follow through with your plan.
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Sounds good to me. Only drawback I can really think of is that aluminum is a very good conductor of heat, so your floor will really be hot or cold to the touch, at least as compared to a carpeted one. Not that you couldn't put some rugs down if it got too rough on you. Wouldn't have to worry about it ever rotting out!

How will you handle the joints where one panel attaches to the next? Maybe put a backing strip on the bottom to bridge the two and then rivet?

Sounds neat. Please post some pics when you get it done.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Yes, I thought abouth the conductivity and I will most likely get some type of roll up rugs or mats for the winter. I priced the plating today and it runs about $195/ 4x8 sheet. Ouch! But I still plan on doing it unless I get some other ideas???
Old 05-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
Any drawbacks? <snip> having everything customized except for the cabinets.
I would imagine the diamond plate is quite a bit thinner than the original plywood flooring. If you aren't changing out the cabinets they will be "floating in space" or have to be lowered after the diamond plate goes down which could expose some "ugliness" on the walls, either holes or mars from where the cabinets "used to be".

Or, if the diamond plate goes over the plywood, I would be concerned about the added weight and the cabinets having to be raised up higher adding more holes to the interior skin as it's thicker than "normal" VCT.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
How much weight will the flooring add? I really like the diamond plate in my storage space in the rear of my Safari' I wish they would have put diamond plate in the front storage the underbed space. It is carpeted with plastic over it. Not the best for a greasy hitch and other tools I store up there. I'm thinking about cutting two pieces of diamond plate to fit. Has anyone else done this?
AZstreamin.
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Basically the whole trailer has been gutted, including the cabinets. I plan on laying 3/8" diamond plate over the existing floor. It's in really decent shape but I treated with a good wood preservative and sealer to make sure it stays that way for awhile. I tried to be as careful as possible when I gutted it and did minimal damage. I even got the shower pan out without breaking it. It took quite a few days but I think it was worth it. What is "VCT"?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
my 2005 international ccd has 1/8" (looks to be aluminum?) diamond plate on the floor area in the two exterior storage spaces from the factory. looks good.
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Uhhh, yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
I'll Try this again, My 61' Overlander is gutted and ready for some flooring. I'm thinking of using aluminum diamand plating .... Any drawbacks? Any help greatly appreciated....
Have you ever actually stood on diamond plate?

Try it with your shoes on for a while...then take your shoes off.

Mighty uncomfortable.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Hey there Sparks. Sounds like a pretty radical design so be sure to post pictures once you get it done.
VCT commonly refers to VINYL COMPOSITION TILE.
Good luck.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
saw some today

hi- was picking up some alum. sheet for my kitchen backsplash today, and they had the thin (1/8" I guess) alum. plate there too- looked cool, and was light, would sure give your coach an industrial look! Did you really mean 3/8"? that seems unnecessarily thick. have fun with it-
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
Did you really mean 3/8"? that seems unnecessarily thick.
I agree. Did you really mean 3/8??
I mean this is a camper not an M1 Abrahms Battle tank.
I think your idea ie. "the Look" would be great but I'd think about putting 1/2" plywood down first and then overlay it with 1/8" (or thinner if it can be found) diamond plate. I would also not put the diamond plate under the cabinets etc. to save weight. Maybe you could "dry" fit the cabinets on top of the plate, scribe them in, remove the cabs. and then cut out where the cab. sit to get the look and the ez cleaning.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I agree with 87MH (dennis).

The idea seems better on paper. But if you stand barefoot for a while in a "decked" type surface, after a while your feet will let you.

The other concern would be the weight of the material. I would also question how easy it would be to clean/sweep the floor.

I know that there are companies out there that make a rubber tile version of "decK plate". Airports sometimes have this stuff installed. Here's a link to a placethat has something that might be of interest-

http://www.diamond-safety.com/Mitchell%20Rubber.html

jonathan
Old 05-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Yeah I think your right, I used to drive Bradleys for a living so I like the heavy stuff. The supplier I went to today has some 1/8" coming in the next few days. The stuff I like is called a 5 bar diamond plate which looks a little more interesting than the regular stuff. I'll be sure to post pics when it's done.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Yes, VCT means "Vinyl Composition Floor"...

If you go with the 3/8" thick over plywood, I'd definately be concerned about the added weight ~ even if it doesn't go beneath the cabinets. HAve you upgraded your axles or do you plan on doing so?

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I found this while in my travels....sort of same idea...looks pretty cool for sure!

Site has some pretty nice customs also...

www.nelsonandnelson.com/airstream/rhauer.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hauer_interior3_640.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	21784  
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

jonathan[/quote]

That rubber diamond plate looks pretty cool, I may look into that approach. I wonder though how the diamonds would feel when going barefoot -- maybe they squish down?
lessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnessel
I wonder though how the diamonds would feel when going barefoot -- maybe they squish down?
You would feel them. While the rubber flooring is softer under foot than metal would be, it's definately not "squishy", it's more like VCT or vinyl flooring.

Shari

Old 06-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #19

Crazylev is right. I've seen diamond plate pattern industrial linoleum or plastic in silver. Some years ago, I was in a factory or dealership in the Los Angeles area where they had various patterns and colors. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name or the location, but it's in the south side somewhere. Seems that it would be more comfortable to walk on (not as conductive as aluminum) lighter and easier to install.
Barry Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Its a lot cheaper-

If you find .060 or .050 diamond plate, or 5 bar tread plate which is what it sounds like you're after. I buy it for about $85 for a 4 X 8 sheet at an aluminum wholesale distributor. It weighs nothing- really light and comes polished. I've used it on many things and its easy to work with and cut at that thickness...

I've also seen what the others are talking about- its rubber and used as a mat for flooring, and pretty durable. I sourced it once but never bought any, and it was through a marine distributor that I found it- was available in many colors- some really ugly.

Tread plate is really common in Europe- you never can find real DP there, its ALL tread- I like the DP better, but just my taste- I've sandblasted it and black anodized it for my Harley- flat black DP- beautiful stuff...
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote