Old 03-29-2014, 12:35 AM   #29
Maniacal Engineer
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I do these cuts w/ a circular saw; I just cut on scrap plywood, and sit on the sheet .

If you take about a 1/4" deep cut it works just fine.... I cut sheet (.050 or so) this way, as well, and diamond plate and 1/8" 6061 for a battery box.

- Bart

Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Not sure that this applies to aluminum, but any time we cut any sheet steel at work the blade in the skil saw or table saw is always turned around 18o degrees from the direction the teeth run to cut wood.

Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:14 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
You can get away with the table saw method but It is very dangerous. I have seen people get ripped up pretty badly when the blade grabs the sheet and kicks it back. The method I use is the worm drive portable saw with a medium fine tooth carbide blade. First you want to make a base for the saw to ride on out of half inch plywood. screw a piece of 3/4" plywood to the half inch base for a saw edge guide. Leave the base wide enough to go from the guide edge past the blade an inch or so. Run the saw down along the edge guide (3/4" ply) and cut off the extra inch you left on. Now you have a nice saw guide for the saw to travel on that also holds the aluminum sheet down against the table while you are cutting. This method prevents the metal saw base from scratching the surface of the aluminum. Make the whole assembly wide enough that you can put your clamps on the double thick part and not hit them with any part of the saw when you run it down the guide. You need to cut on a nice flat table with the saw blade hanging over the edge of the table by 1/2" or so. The edge of the base by the blade can also be used to line everything up at the marks on the sheet where you want the cut to be. Any saw cut aluminum sheet needs to be touched up with a mill file to remove sharp edges.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:59 AM   #32

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Cutting Aluminum Sheet Straight and Long

Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
Not sure that this applies to aluminum, but any time we cut any sheet steel at work the blade in the skil saw or table saw is always turned around 18o degrees from the direction the teeth run to cut wood.

The same suggestion made in post #14. This especially good when cutting thin material and there is little risk to kickback because the blade in not biting in to the material.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is hard to cut plywood on a table saw. I prefer the skill saw method with a fence to guide it.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I had a piece of AS late model "bright aluminum" (don't know the alloy #) that I cut using a Dremel Sawmax and metal blade for my stove vent project- a fix/upgrade done to deal with the heavy corrosion that was around the vent when I bought my AS. It is a one-handed tool so guiding is not too difficult. There is also a straightedge attachment but for my job I did not need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stove_vent.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	208452  
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
Metal Brake on Amazon.

I'm guessing this is too light duty for .040 at 4 feet wide?

What if i went down to .036? Malco MB48A 48-inch Portable Brake: Home Improvement

Malco MB48A 48-inch Portable Brake

Bends up to 135 degrees in 22 gauge galvanized sheet metal
Bends metal roofing components and roof flashing including copper and aluminum
Bends narrow roof-flashing strips
Ideal for fabricating plenums or large transitions at the job site
Makes compact fabrications as small as a 4-inch square
Accommodates sheet metal up to 4 feet wide
Adjustable strengthening ribs

bass-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote