Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2003, 02:17 PM   #1
JLD
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JLD
Couch Repair

I have a lovely couch that looks a lot like the one Scott pictured in the Flooring project thread. The fabric is in great condition, but the couch itself is a bit like sleeping on a hilltop when it is "flattened" into a bed. It is double bed size. Has anyone encountered this problem and been able to repair the couch so it lays flat enough to make a comfortable bed. Right now only one person can "comfortably?" sleep there. The person on the inside finds his/her bed sloping into the wall. The person on the outside is flatter, but may end up on the floor if they turn over in a hurry. If they turn the other way they end up on top of the downhill person. ARRRRGGG. The strange thing is it is perfectly comfortable to sleep on for one person when it is in the couch configuration. Also, Scott's picture shows storage bins under the couch, whoooooeeee, space for bedding under the bed.

Has anyone installed, fixed, whatevered one of these? Ideas?

JLD
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hmmm...

Is it possible that your couch isn't an Airstream original? Every front couch I've seen has some sort of storage underneath it, whether it is a hinged, sliding or roll-up tambour doors. The exception being when there is the water tank underneath...like on our side one. Our front couch had storage, which we modified when remodeling for the dinette.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:30 PM   #3
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Hi JLD,

Thanks for the compliments on my 63 Tradewind, which I sold last year. I have a very similar setup in my 79 Argosy (which is also 24').

I'm not sure whether this is your issue, but when I pull my gaucho out into a bed I usually have to lift up a bit. If I pull it out too far the slide mechanism will go over the front of the gaucho (the piece just above the storage bin) and the front of the seat cushion sits too high. So, I wind up pushing it back in a tad and it falls down into place.

HTH

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:55 PM   #4
JLD
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JLD
Talking

Hi Scott. I think you are right. This couch is a replacement for the original, but the owner had them put in one that is just like the original with the exception of the storage space underneath, boo hooo. It never dawned on me I was pulling it too far out. The old owner said it was comfortable and when I did a test drive I thought he mustabeen a contortionist or paralyzed from sleeping on the rack. Now I know what is wrong with my picture. JLD
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Couch repair

Our sovereign couch has a sag problem when extended into a bed. I plan to replace the thin luan which supports it over the aluminum supports with 1/2 inch plywood. Has anyone done this
successfully?
j&jsoldsilver is offline   Reply With Quote