Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Cost of floor replacement

As a newbie I am not sure if this is the right place for this question and welcome moderators to move it to an appropriate forum if needed.

We definitely need a new floor in our recently purchased 2002 22ft CCD...we had been hoping that it would be a matter of a few patches which we could handle but we don't have the place, the time, the tools, or the expertise to replace the whole floor ourselves. Not sure if we have the money either now that we have gotten a couple of quotes. I was hoping I could get some idea here on the forum of what is a reasonable amount of money to pay for this job. Wish we knew about this forum before we bought her but now we want to do what we have to to make her usuable. Thanks!

Gail and Robert
Ornstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Please give us some more detail on the extent of the damage to the floor. Pictures would be good too. Is your floor made of OSB or plywood? There may be some options that don't involve a complete floor replacement.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Please give us some more detail on the extent of the damage to the floor. Pictures would be good too. Is your floor made of OSB or plywood? There may be some options that don't involve a complete floor replacement.
The floor is OSB and after taking up a rug and the vinyl we discovered it was bad in front of the door, curbside along the desk end behind the dining banquet, and under the front bed too. We can only imagine what it is like under the wet bath and kitchenette cabinets but we assume it is more of the same. The actual center of the trailer doesn't look too bad

I took some photos today and will have to figure out how to put post them here!
Thanks!
Ornstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It is quit an involved operation to replace the entire floor. What is the ballpark on the quotes you have gotten so far? Also, have you stopped your leaks that caused the floor to rot?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Whatever you do, make sure the person doing the work knows about the structural aspect of of the floor! Many people on e forum have hired it out and had someone with no airstream-specific knowledge do the work wrong.
The floor is a very important part of the structure and holds the skin and frame together.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
To make myself clearer, It must go into the c-channel and be bolted there.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You could pull all the cabnets, beds and stuff. Then just put the new floor over the old one. It will add weight but, would not be as challaging as pulling the shell off.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
The floor is a structural part of the package.
I understand the floor replacement in a 16 ' Airstream is in excess of $14,000!
The entire trailer must be disassembled, interior cabinetry removed and the shell removed before you can get at the floor. This is not a casual walk in the park....it is major reconstructive surgery.
It sounds to me like the original floor was allowed to sit wet for some time, that makes local repairs or spot repair unlikely to succeed. This is the very down, downside to osb. I would assume that the replacement floor would be marine plywood like the new Airstreams.
My advice is to contact a dealer who is experienced in this type of repair and brace yourself. Jackson Center would be a good bet too.
Bummer!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Are we sure the new stuff is marine grade? There are several other grades. Exterior, exterior green wet cement contact, and marine grade.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
I'd call Colin Hyde at Colin Hyde Restorations in Peru, NY. 518-578-7772. www.colinhyderestorations.com. He'll give honest and realistic insight as to your restoration needs. He also appears (in voice) on The Vintage Airstream Podcast | Vintage Trailer Resotration. This is a podcast devoted to the Airstream and is a wealth of information. I believe that the more you know about your AS, the better prepared you will be, at keeping your 22'er on the road. I've replaced the entire floor on my 1976 Safari 23'. Did the "full monte". Used 3/4" exterior plywood with 2 coats West Marine Epoxy and 2 coats oil based polyurethane. I believe it will outlast me! Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	163885  
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Are we sure the new stuff is marine grade? There are several other grades. Exterior, exterior green wet cement contact, and marine grade.
While at the customer feedback seminar at Alumapalooza the Airstream people said it was "marine grade".
That is the extent of my knowledge.....

I like what Surfpod did with his floor. That should be bullet proof!

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I'm not trying to make your situation even worse but you should be aware that there's another thread on this forum that talks about the 2002 thru 2004 (maybe 2005) 22 footers having a known issue with the frame cracking behind the wheels.

May or may not apply to your trailer but you need to check it out.

One thread;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...nny-93908.html
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I have recently replaced the vinyl in my 2006 22' CCD, so I have some insight into this. The quote I got to do the vinyl (just the vinyl) from an Airstream dealer was $7000. Removing the interior is the biggest amount of work.

I would estimate to replace the sub-floor (shell off) would be in the range of $12-$15,000 if done at a dealer.

The floor is currently OSB which is coated with a black rubber on the bottom, and about 12 inches on the top. I don't know if it is the sealant that is the issue, or the wood, but neither is effective at repelling water. I redid mine with an absorbing sealant to prevent any future problems. Hopefully.

In my opinion, there should be a class-action lawsuit to have this model recalled and crushed. It has created a lot of heartache for people. I don't have the frame problems as mine supposedly is updated... but water leaks are catastrophic in this model...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
It took me one day to remove the guts. One day to do the floor... 3/4 day to put it back together. I didn't take out the galley or shower, which would take at least 2 more days, and probably destroy the shower and plumbing in the process... just try get at your bathroom sink taps...
Old 07-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I decided to take my trailer to Jackson Center because the local guys were saying that if any piece of furniture was damaged when they tried to remove it, then I would have to pay for that. The shower closet for instance is difficult. Jackson Center did not say that. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...tml#post767947.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We got a quote from Jackson Center on the eventual full floor replacement our 1992 Excella 29' will need. It was 7,000. For now, we replaced the rear portion. But someday we'd like a whole new floor to maintain structural integrity when she's 25 years old or so.

Meantime, we're just enjoying using our wonderful Excella.

We're about to become full time or most time gypsies - so size would be the only reason we may get another rig.

I thought the Jackson Center quote was pretty reasonable considering we'd have a good as new trailer.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. Horrifying that a 2002 needs a floor replacement. You do have to seal incessantly and watch closely for plumbing leaks! Especially if OSB was used.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
It took me one day to remove the guts. One day to do the floor... 3/4 day to put it back together. I didn't take out the galley or shower, which would take at least 2 more days, and probably destroy the shower and plumbing in the process... just try get at your bathroom sink taps...
Through the left side of the kitchen cabinet! Next to the sink. Access panel!

And on this topic - It appears that the OSB (crap) floor and the weak frame work together to spoil one of the best overall livable designs for a smallish trailer.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Through the left side of the kitchen cabinet! Next to the sink. Access panel!

And on this topic - It appears that the OSB (crap) floor and the weak frame work together to spoil one of the best overall livable designs for a smallish trailer.
Oh, I know... just try get your head in there and reach up to either remove the bathroom sink or tighten the faucet connections. I had to remove the kitchen sink, and build a small ramp so I could lay on my back... THEN, I had to remove and install those stupid clips that hold the bathroom sink in with one hand (that's all that fits).

Why? Because an 'authorized Airstream dealer' replaced the bathroom tap and used teflon tape on a plastic to plastic fitting - which made it leak. Ever wonder why they specifically say 'don't use teflon tape on plastic to plastic fittings'? I guess these bozos never either...

The only reason I found it, is the hot water STILL wasn't working in the bathroom, which turned out to be a blockage in the line... they replaced the faucet, probably tested it for 3 seconds, and called it a day. So... I had to stuff my car warmer in that little hole to dry it all out before putting both sinks back in.

I have a little Airstream voodoo trailer that I throw marbles at and put dents in... curse you Airstream...

I agree though... love the layout... wish I could find something else good to say right now...
Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am left-handed and double jointed. Really. I forget the combo can be a natural advantage in the wierdest situations.