Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I too have had bad results with rust paint (Rustoleum, Tremclad) but only when depending on one coat. You need at least 2 coats, preferably 3 for complete coverage. Also it is rather slow drying which some people find annoying. But it does the job and it's cheap.

POR 15 works well but ONLY on rust. On clean metal it's no good at all.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:20 AM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Seems like I heard Barney Frank say the same thing or was it Nancy Pelosi.?
You should perhaps run for Congress.

You certainly meet the stereotypical Airstreamer profile. Or as Dennis (87MH) likes to say "Spend the bucks, do it right the first time".

The rest of us are just gonna have to fake it til we make it.
Not very sure I understand the logic here. Earlier you were talking about oil rig paint as being a good solution. I can promise you the sun will rise tomorrow and that oil rigs are not painted with rustolium from a rattle can purchased from the Home Depot. Yes the POR15 cost about $200 a gallon, but you do not need a gallon, you need a quart. 87MH is correct. Do right once. The product I have used is just a little less than the POR15, but just about the same cost. I have been very happy with it's performance thus far. Good luck with paying for oil rig paint. I also want to say that very few on this forum fake it. Some are trying to make it, but very few here fake it. Maybe our priorities are different or maybe our needs are different, I just don't know. But I do not see the point of doing an okay job when the means to do an excellent job are easily within your reach.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
I used POR15 on the frame of a '29 oldsmobile in 1998. Frame was wire brushed not sand blasted. Both rails from the firewall to the ft bumper had solid original paint. 10 yrs later the POR has held perfectly over the rusted areas, but pealed off the original paint areas ! Lesson learned yet agian, read and follow directions! Can came with a booklet that said it needed some rust to work. I'm about to paint the frame on my '64 AS. It has a lot of orig paint. Going to go with implement primer/paint from a local farm eqp. dealer. Low cost, made for a harsh enviornment, why not?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
I used POR15 on the frame of a '29 oldsmobile in 1998. Frame was wire brushed not sand blasted. Both rails from the firewall to the ft bumper had solid original paint. 10 yrs later the POR has held perfectly over the rusted areas, but pealed off the original paint areas ! Lesson learned yet agian, read and follow directions! Can came with a booklet that said it needed some rust to work. I'm about to paint the frame on my '64 AS. It has a lot of orig paint. Going to go with implement primer/paint from a local farm eqp. dealer. Low cost, made for a harsh enviornment, why not?

Just walked in from the garage using Por 15 on my TR6 frame. It goes a long way and works great. The cleaner and metal prep they sell works great also. BTW don't get on you, you will wear it for a week.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Hi Jim ain't it fun!. Do'nt think either one of us is gonna pull our safris' to far with these rigs!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
Hi Jim ain't it fun!. Do'nt think either one of us is gonna pull our safris' to far with these rigs!
Oh yea and right next to the TR is a MGA waiting to go back together. I took the MGA apart to have it painted to take on my Honeymoon and the painter screwed it up. I have been so busy since I got married I have just found time to think about putting it back together. BTW I got married in 1990.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Interested in the Eastwood system.

I plan to get Rust converter for sure, but is the encapsulator required as well as the top coat? I am painting a 30 foot frame and wonder if 2 quarts will do what I need.

Steve