Old 10-25-2002, 01:30 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb another supplier

http://www.wecork.com/

I really like the way these folk's look from their website. it almost looks like they might supply some of the other outfits ive seen on the web.

I am definately going to go with cork in my 25' tradewind--that microbevel plank you put in looks way too nice to pass up.

Old 10-25-2002, 02:37 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

So what is the price of cork flooring compared to Pergo?

Old 10-25-2002, 06:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Sample cork pricing...

http://www.naturalhomeproducts.com/1/1500cork.html

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 08:33 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

I too love the look of the cork. However when I went to a local Natural flooring dealer (who sells cork flooring) and discussed the cork option they were concerned with it's softness and it's tendency to scratch easily. Seeing I have 4 kids running in and out of the trailer I had this vision of scratches all over the new floor. Don't know if that's the case or not but it scared me.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:32 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
linoleum lizard damage

Yeah, what is the durability of cork? We have 3 kids and I too am worried about it getting trashed. We like the look, but...
Old 10-26-2002, 07:42 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Ref:

Quote:
Yeah, what is the durability of cork? We have 3 kids and I too am worried about it getting trashed. We like the look, but...
According to one of the websites listed on this thread, refers to a time spanning 50 yrs~!
(it was on the wecork.com site)
interesting~!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:31 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Regarding cork durablility....I know someone that has had it in their kitchen for a decade.They have kids and two big dogs.It has held up beautifully!
Old 01-12-2003, 05:08 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Sooo glad to see your beautiful flooring and happy to know thru some investigation that it is environmentally a good idea too, since the cork comes from the bark of the tree
I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but I read somewhere that the cork oak is endangered. It's native to one very specific area in Spain, and the wine industry has been up in arms for a while trying to find a replacement for bottle-stopping.

This was a while back and I'm hoping someone will prove that I'm mistaken, but I'd check it out if you're concerned about the environmental impact.

That said, the floor is gorgeous. I hope you post more pictures of the whole trailer so we can see!

Cheers,
Holly
Old 01-12-2003, 07:48 PM   #37
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Cork is made from the bark of the Portuguese cork oak tree, the ďQuercus suber. The cork oak which grows only in the semi-arid climate of the Mediterranean is carefully protected by governments of the region.

The life span of the cork oak tree is approximately 150-200 years. Only the bark of the tree is harvested for use every 9 years.

The bark strips take a year to ďseasonĒ. Once seasoned they are processed, dried and selected according to quality. the thickest pieces are used to produce wine corks. the remainder is processed into colourful veneers or ground in to granules. These granules are pressed in to blocks and heated. the heating process releases natural resins that solidify and cause the granulated cork to bind together. No harmful materials are used.

The cork remains purely natural. As a result, a cork floor has all the insulating and resilient properties of natural cork.

So cork floors donít use up forests, or harm the environment. they arenít made from toxic chemicals, and donít emit harmful fumes.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:56 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
The endangered cork story seems to be little more than some very clever propaganda.Here is just one link that explains it(there is a lot more info about this topic on the net for those that desire it)

http://www.wwf.org.uk/news/n_0000000770.asp
Old 03-07-2003, 01:02 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Gonna do it~

Charcigar
Thanks for sharing your experiences and, the finish results of your work.~
This is gonna be my big project for this year`!!
I have an 84 Sovereign, that is..with this project, will be something to keep for a long, long, time~!
I'll try to keep a photo story as we get into the project.
I just hope that mine turns out as nice as yours~!~
Again, awesome floor and, result~!
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:04 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Bozeman , Montana
I like cork

Cork makes a great floor. My wife and I put cork tiles in the dining area of our house four years ago and it has held up well. We used self-adhesive wool glides (hardware store item) on our dining chair and table legs to prevent scratching the surface. The base floor should be relatively smooth or imperfections will show through. The cork was my wife's idea, she went to an elementary school with cork floors, so you know it holds up well. The best part is it feels warm when you stand on it with bare feet, not cold like tile. Thanks to the posts here Iím inspired to use up my left over cork and do our Caravel this summer.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Charcigar
Thanks for sharing your experiences and, the finish results of your work.~
This is gonna be my big project for this year`!!
I have an 84 Sovereign, that is..with this project, will be something to keep for a long, long, time~!
I'll try to keep a photo story as we get into the project.
I just hope that mine turns out as nice as yours~!~
Again, awesome floor and, result~!
ciao
53FlyingCloud, I see your thread is froma few years back ..... I have a 85 29foot Sovereign and am looking at replacing the carpet and flooring with cork flooring ......Did you do the project ? How did it go ? any advicefor someone heading in that direction .... oh and if you did the project what time was involved ............ thanks Brian
Old 03-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Greetings Brian,
I have to tell you it was with great intentions but, I elected to replace the A/C with a new Carrier A/C w/heat pump. Back to the cork flooring. After doing all that research, I did manage to garnish a huge amount of info.
Send me a email at: 53flyingcloud@gmail.com and I'll be happy to share some insights that would be perfect info for you as you have the same size, vintage A/S.
ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote