Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Question Coosa sub floor. Anyone use this, too?

After research on this forum, Hubby decided to bite the bullet & spend the big bucks for Coosa BlueWater 26 for our 62 GT. It is now in, finally. As we are getting ready to build & install furnishings and cabinetry, Hubby is telling me that we can't screw into the material as we would into plywood. That we must drill holes through it & then bolt the cabinetry to the steel floor rigging. This can't be true, I pray. That would limit cabinet locations & worse, future changes would require a removal of the belly pan, again. Has anyone used Coosa? How did you attach objects to it? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I think Hubby is correct. This is a thread on another forum where some boaters talk some about the screwing issue.
ClassicSeaCraft.com: Coosa

One guy mentions drilling a bigger hole, 'glassing' the hole, then screwing into the 'glassing', whatever that is.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Thanks. That was helpful & I know I don't have to tap into the rigging. Now if I could find out what "glassing" is I'll be in business. Anyone?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
DFK
2 Rivet Member

It looks like Coosa has a fiberglass skin and polyurethane foam core. The fiberglass skin doesn't look particularly thick and probably doesn't provide enough thickeness to securely fasten a self-tapping screw. The polyurethane core would be of no help holding a screw. The solution that was proposed on the seacraft web sit is to over drill the hole and fill the oversized hole with fiberglass filler. Then screw into the filler. If you drill completely through the Coosa, tape over the underside of the hole then fill the hole with fiberglass or epoxy filler you would have a plug of filler the full depth of the Coosa.

Another idea might be to make some backing strips out of marine grade plywood and simply screw completely through the Coosa and into the backing strips held in place on the underside of the Coosa with some sort of adhesive. This would allow you to place a backing strip where ever it is needed barring conflicts with the trailer frame.

Coosa looks like a pretty good solution for creating a "forever" floor in your Airstream. Wish it was a little less expensive.
DFK is offline   Reply With Quote