Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2006, 03:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
I owned airplanes for about 20 years... and one plane was over 50 years old when I sold it. The key to their longevity is storing them inside a hangar. When stored outside they self-destruct with corrosion, sun damage and hail damage. The same can be said for Airstreams.
Hi dmac; Grand idea, How many of us got hangars? How many of us would camp inside hangars? Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:25 AM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi dmac; Grand idea, How many of us got hangars? How many of us would camp inside hangars? Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Well I am working on it (40x60 and growing) However I do see dmac's point. Probably 90%+ of Airstreams are stored outside in less than ideal condtions. My wife's uncle has several antique airplanes and does work on others. He was showing me two of the same aircraft, one had been hanger stored most of its life, flown hard but was still in very good condition, another one that had less than half the hours of the first one was in almost unrestorable conditon due to rust out on the various frame members caused by condensation and leaks from being tied down outside in the deep south. The other had come from Wisconsin.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Cover them up land or sea

Quote:
Boatdoc, you know how much a covered slip saves the finish on the bright work on a boat. It is hard for me to do with a 50 foot stick in the air.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Also might add, that as the Airstreams age out they seem to get less maintenance, probably due to the age of the owners and their inability to perform the maintenance. And many of the Airstreams we are getting our hands on are rescue units. From general observation there seems to be a pretty typical timeline on Airstreams. They are purchased brand new by someone getting ready to retire, used for 3-7 years, then sold to a second owner, used 3-7 years, then sold to a 3rd owner that uses it at a long term location or on as a seasonal then it sits in the back of a SOB dealer's lot because it looks old and they can't make anything on it, or it sits in open storage somewhere until some aluminut comes along and rescues it. Now there are always exceptions to the rules... I am still impressed that these things hold together as well as they do for 25-40 years even without proper maintenance, and heavy use.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 11-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Quote:
How many of us got hangars? How many of us would camp inside hangars?
Me, for one. I built a pole barn from some used telegraph poles, some timber, and a steel flat roof, for about $350, and two days work. We camp under it for months at a time. The sides are open, and the roof extends far enough to the south to keep off all sun. It has endured very high winds over the past 7 years, with no problem. There has been no visible deterioration in the surface finishes on the trailer after 7 Florida years. The suggestion that Airstreams should be kept under cover when stored is a serious point, with which I agree. Replacing the Clearcote would be about$3500, IIRC, ten times the cost of my pole barn.
Nick.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Me, for one. I built a pole barn from some used telegraph poles, some timber, and a steel flat roof, for about $350, and two days work. We camp under it for months at a time. The sides are open, and the roof extends far enough to the south to keep off all sun. It has endured very high winds over the past 7 years, with no problem. There has been no visible deterioration in the surface finishes on the trailer after 7 Florida years. The suggestion that Airstream should be kept under cover when stored is a serious point, with which I agree. Replacing the Clearcote would be about$3500, IIRC, ten times the cost of my pole barn.
Nick.
Hi Nick; I think that I am being misunderstood. It is truly a grand idea and I totally agree that UV's and the elements kill the AS's. Storage barn or hangar will shield it from UV's as well as the severe fast temp changes and all other natural elements, thus at the minimum reducing the condensation if not eliminating it. However most of AS owners do not camp under roof, nor can they store them inside at all times. Some of us are luckier than others and we have to think of them as well. And it is true that AS's last a very long time. That is not my point. Issue was reduce condensation in the belly pan under outdoor conditions for which they were designed for. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 11-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Quote:
I do try to store my trailer indoors as much as possible. Now I have it stored in a pole barn for the long Minnesota winter - 5 months for $260 ($52/mo).

BTW: I have never flown an airplane inside a hangar, nor will I be camping inside a pole barn.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
inside storage is a wonderful thing. I have mine under a 50 dollar vinyl shed supported on plastic pipe in cement filled buckets. It has been great to save most of the roof from tree mess and more. Unfortunately it is only a total of 20' in length so i have 4 feet at either end exposed.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Arrow storage shelter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
inside storage is a wonderful thing. I have mine under a 50 dollar vinyl shed supported on plastic pipe in cement filled buckets. It has been great to save most of the roof from tree mess and more. Unfortunately it is only a total of 20' in length so i have 4 feet at either end exposed.
Hi ALANSD; For the money those erector storage shelters are great, especially when they are oversize so that you can leave ends open for cross ventilation. Shielding your AS from direct sun and elements saves the clear coat as well as reduces condensation by maintaining close to uniform temps. Ask Santa for a bigger shelter next time. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 11-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Boatdoc - Do you know how do those storage sheds hold up under a heavy snow load?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
storage shed

Dmac- I've had a Costco "shed" up for 2 years now, had 14" of wet snow on it last year with no problems. They are 10'W x 20'L and were $165 at Costco. I boosted mine up on top of 24" high 2x4 "walls" anchored in concrete deck footing blocks to get it high enough for the AS ( 10' at the sides). I also spread the legs out at the bottom to 12' for plenty of room. You could put 2 of these end to end for a 40' long shed. The vinyl still looks pretty good, hope to get 2 or 3 more years of use out of it while I plan a proper pole structure.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Jeff
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:59 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Arrow Shelters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
Boatdoc - Do you know how do those storage sheds hold up under a heavy snow load?
Hi dmac; Here are your major requirements. Metal frame a must. Round roof. Do not buy enclosed ends, Vinyl enclosures hold moisture. Choose one that has approx 3' clearance on each side. Front to back should be at least 4' past the AS on each end. If possible, set it in a direction so that it will offer least exposure to the sun to your AS. Anchor it well. Best method is to buy some round concrete slugs. Drill a hole in one end and install expansion anchor with two links of chain. Dig three holes per side and bury the slugs, this will give you points to secure it. For as long as the ends of shelter are open and the wind can pass through six anchor points as such will be sufficient, unless you are in tornado area. Round top will carry a lot of weight of snow thanks to the design. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 AM   #33
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
Alan,
Shoulda bought two of them

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 11-07-2006, 05:37 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This one may be tight on clearing the wide sides along the trailer top. I did a quick sketch on graph paper and it could be almost 9' wide eight feet above the ground.

I don't have any direct experience with this product. I just happened to notice it in my "Wooden Boat" magazine yesterday -- which sits in the basket right behind "Wooden Trailer".... oh, never mind.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:02 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Arrow Storage shelters for AS's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Alan,
Should bought two of them

Aaron
Hey Guys; For those of you who would like to get one, visit; www.all-shelters.com/ or www.sheltersofamerica.com/ . I guarantee you will find one to fit your application. Look for specific RV application. Good luck "Boatdoc"
Old 11-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I just happened to notice it in my "Wooden Boat" magazine yesterday -- which sits in the basket right behind "Wooden Trailer"....
Hmm, do you also hang your clothes by color...?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Another RV shelter source.

Harbor Freight does a round top RV shelter, 32ft 10 inches long, 14ft 9" wide, 12ft high, for $850:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search
Nick.