Old 09-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sacramento , California
Carpet installation

Any recommendations for a carpet installer in the Sacramento area? Our usual place won’t work in RVs

Phoebe2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just a thought:

Do you really want carpet in a trailer? At least for us, with dogs and shoes coming in out of the rain and dirt, stuff does get into the trailer.

The woven vinyl "decking material" that AS uses in the recent Classics is very functional and not as crazy as a smooth floor. .... Indeed putting that down likely makes the search for a pro even more complex. Sorry about that.

If you have a friend who is in the real estate business, they often have pretty good lists of independent contractors who do things like carpet. Often those people don't show up in the Yellow Pages and are a bit more flexible about what they will work on.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Area rugs are hard to beat, and redecorating is relatively inexpensive and easy. The rugs can be cleaned vety thoroughly and changed whenever they get worn and shabby.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Just a thought:

Do you really want carpet in a trailer? At least for us, with dogs and shoes coming in out of the rain and dirt, stuff does get into the trailer.

The woven vinyl "decking material" that AS uses in the recent Classics is very functional and not as crazy as a smooth floor. .... Indeed putting that down likely makes the search for a pro even more complex. Sorry about that.

If you have a friend who is in the real estate business, they often have pretty good lists of independent contractors who do things like carpet. Often those people don't show up in the Yellow Pages and are a bit more flexible about what they will work on.

Bob

Thanks Bob. There’s original carpet in the bedroom. I hate it but my husband doesn’t want to replace the whole floor so carpet it is. That mat stuff looks impossible to me.... how would you clean all the nooks and crannies?
Old 09-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Area rugs are hard to beat, and redecorating is relatively inexpensive and easy. The rugs can be cleaned vety thoroughly and changed whenever they get worn and shabby.

Thanks. I would if it didn’t mean replacing the whole floor. The carpet in the bedroom is original... no flooring underneath.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe2009 View Post
Thanks Bob. There’s original carpet in the bedroom. I hate it but my husband doesn’t want to replace the whole floor so carpet it is. That mat stuff looks impossible to me.... how would you clean all the nooks and crannies?
Hi

The "secret" about the decking (at least what AS uses) is that they worked very hard to get the texture just right. There's enough to keep it slip proof, but not enough to trap anything. You can sweep it / vacuum it / or run a wet mop over it.

Bob
Old 12-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Hi

The "secret" about the decking (at least what AS uses) is that they worked very hard to get the texture just right. There's enough to keep it slip proof, but not enough to trap anything. You can sweep it / vacuum it / or run a wet mop over it.

Bob
Late to the party on this thread, but looking at flooring options myself. I sorta like the "decking" that's in the new Airstreams, but had the same concern as the OP about it trapping dirt. Where do you buy the "decking" Airstream currently uses Uncle_Bob? I guess you can only buy it from Airstream directly?
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Late to the party on this thread, but looking at flooring options myself. I sorta like the "decking" that's in the new Airstreams, but had the same concern as the OP about it trapping dirt. Where do you buy the "decking" Airstream currently uses Uncle_Bob? I guess you can only buy it from Airstream directly?
Hi

We use what came with the trailer. It's great stuff. It has just enough texture that your slip risk is reduced if it's wet. The texture is not enough to turn it into the dust bowl. We vacuum it with a Dyson and occasionally run a damp Swifter over it. No need for massive effort to keep it respectable.

Since it is a very standard product sold for use on boats, you can indeed get it a lot of places. The "issue" is that JC's price for a full install job is very attractive compared to what it might cost you locally.

Bob
Old 12-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe2009 View Post
Thanks. I would if it didn’t mean replacing the whole floor. The carpet in the bedroom is original... no flooring underneath.
Hi Phoebe,
Just because the carpet is only in the bathroom does't mean you have to replace it with carpet.
It can be replaced with anything you want. You don't have to replace the whole floor. That is what the metal molding strip is for transitioning between two different types of flooring.
You can use Marmolium(natural and no off gassing) or vinyl squares and do it yourself or Marmolium or vinyl sheet/roll goods and have an installer do it. Planking is nice also and can be synthetic or natural. FYI, most flooring stores have a list of installers.
For me, carpet in a bathroom is too unsanitary in the first place. The bathroom is a very small space and if you are handy at all you can DIY especially carpet (YUK).

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Hi

We use what came with the trailer. It's great stuff. It has just enough texture that your slip risk is reduced if it's wet. The texture is not enough to turn it into the dust bowl. We vacuum it with a Dyson and occasionally run a damp Swifter over it. No need for massive effort to keep it respectable.

Since it is a very standard product sold for use on boats, you can indeed get it a lot of places. The "issue" is that JC's price for a full install job is very attractive compared to what it might cost you locally.

Bob
Thanks uncle_bob!

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote