Old 04-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #57
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
When we bought our trailer (used) it cme with a 2" receiver already on the back.

My guess is that the PO might have towed a boat (hopefully a smallish one!) or something else as there was also wiring to the back for lights.

I initially thought great, I'll use it for a bike rack, but at the same time I bought the trailer I joined this forum and read all the comments about not hanging anything off the back
I was not sure if this applied to all AS trailers or just the older ones but decided not to take a chance and so I cut the receiver off and never did use it.

I'm a retired Mech. Eng. and obviously agree with the additional dynamic loads that UKTOAD mentions with bikes - or anything else - cantilevered off the frame at the back. (Nothing to do with the fact that I am also an expat Brit! - but one who likes big diesel trucks!)

The frames on newer trailers may well be sufficiently beefy to tolerate this, I have no idea, I just decided to err on the side of caution!

Incidentally - I carry bikes on the front of our truck - certainly there are some disadvantages to this, but one advantage is that I can (Just) see the bikes over the hood line and keep an eye on them.

Last week, coming home from Florida on the interstate I saw fifth wheel on a long ramp about to join the road with us. The guy behind him was flashing lights madly to get his attention.

One of two bikes on the back of his fifth wheel had somehow become completely detached at the rear wheel end of the bike and was dragging along the highway! So there is one advantage of carrying the bikes up front!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:08 AM   #58
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Something else to consider. The new fiberglass Airstream as it is currently designed comes with a built in rear 2 inch receiver with a removable bumper and it is true monocoque construction with no seperate frame.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #59
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Why is that something else to consider? "Oh, I'm going to run out and buy one."
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:15 AM   #60
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Originally Posted by boldadventure View Post
why is that something else to consider? "oh, i'm going to run out and buy one."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:21 PM   #61
2016 28' Pendleton
Buxton , Oregon
Not guaranteed

Originally Posted by BicycleStream View Post
Doug, I'll check with the dealer (AS Adventures NW, Portland) to see who at AS approved this application. This will be my third trailer purchased from them and they've always done a great job. Naturely, if this isn't guaranteed by the factory I would expect the dealer to stand behind any issues or damages. I will take pictures in a few weeks when the trailer is in, accessories installed and picked up.

I plan to carry only the rack and two bikes which is very similar to the weight of Fiammi bike rack with bikes. And yes, I realize it's mounted differently which has some effect but in my unengineered opinion can't imagine it causing structural damage. I'll follow up.
Doug, as promised, I did check in with the dealer and they said they will guarantee the hitch for only one year. And, no warranty from Airstream as you suggested. Thanks for opening my eyes to the concerns listed in this thread.

Jay and Alison

a.k.a ... BicycleStreamers

"Don't forget, be excellent to each other!" Bill or Ted
BicycleStream is offline   Reply With Quote