Old 04-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet generator box on the back , and a little trailer "Oh My"

have no idea if this picture will download or not . This site is not very user friendly to computer illiterates such as I .

Old 04-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #16
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
I installed my 2" receiver on the front of the truck.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Would some of you who posted that you have added a 2" receiver, please post a photo? I would like to see what those receivers look like.

I partially fabricated this one, but never completed the fabrication or installation after reading all the warnings on this forum. I've also read on this forum that some have been doing it for years without issue.

Conflicting info here, never!

Attachment 259828

I'm not an engineer so take this with a salt lick 😀

Wouldn't the bikes tend to bounce significantly being on the back like that? And if so - I have to imagine that constant force of bike weight X whatever multiplier applies would want to bend the frame significantly. Like sticking a crow bar in the receiver and cranking up and down.

Again - I really don't know - am just reacting based on what it appears like to me. What do you think?
Old 04-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
in the rising sun toaster

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Wimberley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamDog View Post
I installed my 2" receiver on the front of the truck.
Same here. Besides being very handy for tight manuevering my AS, the front mounted receiver w/ its carrying capacity for gear & stuff on our Yukon XL 2500 makes for much easier monitoring (than rear end of trailer) and we can easily/quickly swap in the bike rack, or the fold-up cargo carrier (from Harbor Freight) for generator/firewood/what-have-you, or the big ice chest for bait/catch/game/etc. or combos of these, plus, the front mount hitch does away with these risks/issues of having a loaded up hitch on the rear of our 60 years young camper.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I did the same thing and went with the front hitch idea.
Then bought a tray for it that carries my large Yamaha 3000 generator.
Here's a link to the one I will be using when I take my gen with us. It is smaller than most trays on the market although the 3000 fits perfectly. It may work for the Honda's also.

Here's a better link:
http://torkliftcentral.com/torklift-...and-load-a7752
Old 04-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #20
BicycleStreamers

2016 28' Pendleton
Buxton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Jay, I am wondering who at Airstream approved this modification? And does the dealer guarantee that it will not cause long-term damage to the Airstream or cause stability and handling problems?

Many of us would like to carry 200 lbs of gear, generators, spare tire, extra water etc there but it is warned as unsafe in our Owners Manual. I think I understand why such weight at this position would lead to an unstable trailer.
Doug, I'll check with the dealer (AS Adventures NW, Portland) to see who at AS approved this application. This will be my third trailer purchased from them and they've always done a great job. Naturely, if this isn't guaranteed by the factory I would expect the dealer to stand behind any issues or damages. I will take pictures in a few weeks when the trailer is in, accessories installed and picked up.

I plan to carry only the rack and two bikes which is very similar to the weight of Fiammi bike rack with bikes. And yes, I realize it's mounted differently which has some effect but in my unengineered opinion can't imagine it causing structural damage. I'll follow up.

"Don't forget, be excellent to each other!" Bill or Ted
BicycleStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
What do you think?
I doubt it would bend the frame. Yes, there would be some movement of the frame and body since the bike carrier extends so far back. But, how much torque/leverage it takes to do damage is beyond my knowledge.

Most of the warnings I read talked about rear end separation, shearing of the fasteners that connect the skin and ribs to the frame.

add edit: Most separation I have read about has been on longer trailers from the 1970's and 1980's. And those that fail also usually have rust issues. Those older trailers have weaker frames than the 2000 25' Safari I have.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

san ramon , California
Here is my setup. I had a box fabricated and bolted into the bumper area. Copied from another user on this forum. It has worked great so far.

The bike rack is solid aluminum construction made by 1upUSA. Great US made bike rack that I can remove trays if needed. Standard comes with two trays, and I've added two singles for capacity of four bikes. Still have to put one of the bikes in the bed of the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	259847   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	259848  

Name:	image6.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	259849   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	259850  

Name:	image5.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	259851  
Old 04-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Nice. Especially the fold up function when there are no bikes
Old 04-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
When Andy said that shell separation was a real thing that is caused by adding hitches to the real of the Airstream, I decided against it.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yeah, I'll stick with the Airstream Fiamma because it's attached to the frame and shell to resist the downward rotational forces. Andrew T. at Can-Am sells one of their own design that is also attached to the shell.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
I have a 2" receiver welded to my 20ft FC frame, and have used it for several years carrying the bikes. Have noticed no bent frame or other damage to my AS. I'd be surprised if they were built so flimsy that 100lbs of weight...solidly attached to the frame (NOT the bumper!) would do damage, least of all sway issues. On the othe3r hand, I may have been wrong before in my life. jon
My sentiments exactly.
If the frame is so fragile that an additional 200 LBS at the tail end will bend or send the trailer into uncontrollable sway than these trailers shouldn't be on the road at all.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleStream View Post
We are having a 2" receiver hitch installed on the back of the new 28' trailer so we can carry our bikes and still get into the EB hatch. The dealer is doing the work (brand new trailer) and guarantees the work up to 200lbs. It is custom made tubing welded to the frame in very specific points (I double checked, and it is AS approved). We should have the trailer in a couple of weeks, and I could post pictures if needed.
Whoa! If you put 200# on the rear end of a travel trailer, you sure better have your insurance paid up! It is not just the weight back there; it is the arm of that burden. Even a 100 lbs will probably convert the weight and balance of your Airstream from stable to conditionally unstable.

I lost a trailer and tow vehicle to uncontrolled sway after being passed by an 18-wheeler in a side wind. After lots of research, I discovered that about 85% of total loss trailer sway accidents involved a loaded cargo cage on the rear of the travel trailer. Position your bikes on bike racks on the back of your tow vehicle, NOT on your trailer. The bikes alone may not be enough to take you into conditional uncontrollable instability, but the presence of that hitch mount is begging for more to be put on the bar. That you are mentioning 200# suggests that you are unaware of the fact that 200# would very likely start the clock ticking to a vehicle totalling accident.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I'm not an engineer so take this with a salt lick 😀

Wouldn't the bikes tend to bounce significantly being on the back like that? And if so - I have to imagine that constant force of bike weight X whatever multiplier applies would want to bend the frame significantly. Like sticking a crow bar in the receiver and cranking up and down.

Again - I really don't know - am just reacting based on what it appears like to me. What do you think?
I would argue that the proof is in the pud......
I have been using ours for close to two 3 years without a problem. Those frames are not as flimsy as you suggest.
On the other hand scaring the bejeebies out of you will get you running to Air Stream for " Their " product. The FIMA is screwed or riveted to the Skin. Tugging on it as the trailer bounces up and down.
I weigh 200 LBS and stand on the bumper regularly. The next time I will jump up and down on it to test your theory. I will let you know if I will bend.