Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Lilburn , Georgia
Can it be done from underneath?

Howdy folks,
Well...Just as I suspected, I dropped the bellypan yesterday to get a peek underneath the bathroom and found rotten plywood at the back across the width of the trailer about 18" wide. Also the slotted piece of steel which runs across the rear is in terrible shape and will need to be replaced.

I'm really hoping (praying) these repairs can be done from underneath and not remove the bathroom. Thoughts? Opinions? Am I dreaming?
bassfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Everything in the bathroom sits on the floor. Shower, black tank, sink cabinet, toilet, etc.
The floor is above the frame. I had limited success replacing the very back 4" of floor, but it worked at all because I could get in to a rear compartment, and replace that part of the floor from above.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sorry no answer to prayer this time!

Terry said, the plywood is over the frame and everything is attached to/through it. Furthermore, the rear bathroom was put in "first" then everything forward of it - so in order to get the bathroom out in one piece so you can re-use it, everything forward of it must be removed also. Not to be a wet blanket...but if you need to repair it, you really should do it right.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You miight be able to make a repair with Search: penetrating epoxy

Then layering balsa Marine Balsa Wood: Pro Balsa Plus

epoxy and fiberglass. Fiberglass Supplies

It would be messy and there is a learning curve (like you do have to read and follow the directions). But I think you could salvage the structural intent of the area, ie, keep the head from falling through the floor.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You also need to find the leaks and repair them as well. One common area on the 70's is the rear bumper. The seam between the bumper and the shell needs to be sealed or water will seep in onto the floor.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Lilburn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
You also need to find the leaks and repair them as well. One common area on the 70's is the rear bumper. The seam between the bumper and the shell needs to be sealed or water will seep in onto the floor.
Absolutely correct in this case. There were several rivets loose on the lower banana wrap as well. I've installed new rivets and temporarily sealed it with some Vulkem as I intend to do some camping this Spring and Summer and tackle this project in the late summer/early fall.

While I do understand the value in doing it "right the first time" I'm holding out hope that once I get her up on some jacks, remove the rear bumper/storage compartment, and peel back enough of the belly pan to get some working clearance I'll be able to do enough to at least stop the bleeding for a good 3-5 year window.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I'm the same boat as you right now. I'm replacing the back floor area as we speak.

In my 1970 safari, to replace the floor, I had to pull everything up to the first bulkhead. As my bathroom was formed into atop and bottom half, I was able to get it out without removing the galley or closets.

Good Luck!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Lilburn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I'm the same boat as you right now. I'm replacing the back floor area as we speak.

In my 1970 safari, to replace the floor, I had to pull everything up to the first bulkhead. As my bathroom was formed into atop and bottom half, I was able to get it out without removing the galley or closets.

Good Luck!
Dan- I have the (2) twin bed set up with the overhead storage and the two closets facing each other at the back. I'm thinking I would have to remove the beds, closets and overhead storage up to where the galley begins. Is this the bulkhead you're referring to?

Will the bathroom fit between the galley and fridge to get it out of the camper? Can you just set it aside and fix the frame and floor then set it back in place?

These are all questions I'm sure you've seen before but I'm still getting my head wrapped around how the bathroom is installed.

If anybody can link a detailed thread where a step by step bathroom removal is documented. I'd sure appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
See the post under http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...tml#post679562 for a list of steps for interior removal
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote