Old 10-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Austin , Texas
I had a receiver welding to the A frame, but it does not have much tension on it. It is for storing my Equalizer hitch and bars.

Went to Alaska and back this summer with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	353881  

Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Palm Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
I'm not qualified to respond to the welding question, but I have considerable experience installing and using my Equalizer hitch. I have used the 10000/1000 hitch on two different trailers over the past three years and never had the link plates move at all. I suspect something is wrong with your setup. Are you torquing the bolts to the correct values?

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manua...nal-tightening
I agree, I was having trouble getting my hitch adjusted, just returned from a 2500 mile trip. I noticed the first day out that the truck and trailer smoothed out and I was comfortable with it. I mentioned to a friend that I thought the rig corrected itself. On my return I noticed the nuts were lose on the brackets on the trailer. If you weld it you won't be able to adjust the hitch. It seems the brackets on the trailer have to be at a correct angle. I maybe wrong but that is my recent experience.

RMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Have you tried installing the Equalizer bracket jacket/cover? Reduces noise to nothing and ensures that bar-bracket friction is not excessive, which should reduce bracket creep.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Nothing wrong with welding as it's all mild steel. A small tack weld or stop should be sufficient.

That said, one should ask why it's moving around at. Some good thoughts already on proper installation. It's designed to clamp on without any additional provisions or augmentation.

Beyond installation, one may want to ask if they're using the it properly? Is there too much tension on the bars?

What kind of tow vehicle do you run and what weight bars?
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift - 6" Fan Controller
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Doubler Plates, Longer Bolts, a Layer of Rubber....

I've been using a 14,000/1400 lb Equal-I-Zer on my Avion 34X for 13 years. I had the same problem.

It's not just overtightening the bolts. I had a smooth paint job on my frame. If I didn't tighten them down, I could move the link with my hand. If I did tighten them down, the links bow outward in the middle and it's no better, maybe worse. What was needed was Stiffness in the links and Friction against the frame.

I got four pieces of 1/2" thick plate steel (two for each side, one for each link plate), about a half inch bigger all the way around than the links. I then welded the links to these "doublers." The doublers go against the tongue, links on the outside. I then got an old truck innertube and cut some strips of rubber out that were the thickness of the tongue frame (6" in my case) by the width of my doublers. I got longer GR8 bolts to go through the now extra 1" thick assembly.

With the doublers, I was able to torque them down much tighter. No bowing whatsoever. With the rubber between the doubler plates and the tongue frame, that provided the additional friction to stop movement.

13 years and about 25,000 miles later, it doesn't move anymore. There's a thread on here somewhere from 2006 or so where I have pictures with annotations and everything. It works great.

For what it's worth, I've got a P.E. in Mechanical Engineering and have made a lot of stuff. I contacted Equal-I-Zer about this issue back in the day and told them their link plates needed to be heavier. I think they disagreed with me

That being said, other folks have welded the one piece to the tongue and you still had the adjustment up and down with the other piece. That might have been easier than what I did. But, mine works and is easily removable....although I don't see selling the trailer anytime soon. I like it too much

I think the Equal-I-Zer is a good hitch. Maybe not in the same league as the Henseley or ProPride, but at least as good as the Reese Dual Cam...which is a classic that I've used and worked well. I just don't like fighting with greasy chains. I do think their link plates should be stouter....

See ya on the road,
Jim