Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Can I just spray the frame with undercoating?

I had to remove a small section of my belly pan to update the 7 way Bargman. Screwy thing was, even though the colors of the whips are the same as the old style, the colors mean different things, but that's another thread. Anyway, I noticed that it seems the only rust (other than a little surface rust) on my 64 frame is where the steel frame was touching the aluminum belly pan (yes, I'm very lucky)

I'm not really ready to do a frame off, because at this point, it doesn't need it. I think my AS was stored under cover for most of it's life. There is very little floor rot (I know, because I've removed the original floor tiles and almost everything is in working original condition)

My question is, for the areas where I pull down the belly pan to inspect things, can I just spray the frame with black undercoating? I'm not in the mood to spray por 15 in that tight a space, but I can get in there with a can - maybe just to spray where the frame touches aluminum. Is that beneficial - would it make anything worse? Maybe when my son grows up he can do a frame off, but I'm only removing enough to take out a couple little dents and update the wiring.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The Rust Check ( Rust Check brand name, protect vehicles appearance, proofing companies, manufactures rust preventatives, manufacturer of coatings, manufacturer of rust paints, manufacturer of lubricants and auto repair industry ) or similar product "Crown" work very well in these areas.

You can get them to spray the product where needed or what I have been doing for 30 years is to buy a gal of product from them and spray it on cars, trailer, etc as required. It works!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
When doing old cars, I have used a product called RustMort, purchased at automotive paint stores. Just spray it onto the rusted area, it turns the rust black and makes it ready for other treatment such as POR15 or the like.

I have used this in floorboard areas that had surface rust, but really did not need replacement.

Another product you might consider is the POR15 gas tank coating system. I have used it to coat the inside of old gas tanks, then used the remainder on outside surfaces which are hidden from view. I used it on the inside and outside of the gas tank on Lynn's '37 Buick. Worked out very well. That was about ten years ago, still no rust on the outside of the tank, so I would think the inside is rust free as well. Don't know why it could not be used on the frame of your Airstream. Don't know why this could not be used on the frame of your Airstream.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would POR15 it. Some of that undercoating is like a light grease and it has no strength at all and it will mess you up if you ever want to paint for real. Brush the POR 15 on and it should take a few minutes. Just don't get it on you, it won't come off.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would POR15 it. Some of that undercoating is like a light grease and it has no strength at all and it will mess you up if you ever want to paint for real. Brush the POR 15 on and it should take a few minutes. Just don't get it on you, it won't come off.

Perry
That's what I was looking for - a reason not to do it. I'll get out the old por15 and hit the spots I can reach, and save my spray for the wheel wells. (all the solid steel in the wheel wells already has the por15 - got all the spots that were exposed)
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The best way I have found not to waste POR 15 is to transfer it to glass jars with metal lids. Once the lid is on there with paint on it there is no way it is coming off. To get what is left out you punch a hole in the lid and pour the stuff out. Then you just seal it off with some duct tape or electical tape.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belly pan, frame, rust, undercoating