Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
C channel bolts?

When I removed the inner panels on the ends for floor removal, I followed wasagachris' advice and just busted the rusty bolts with the steel washers in the c channel. BUT on each side midway into the c channel radius there are threaded bolts that have flat heads where 1/2 of the head actually catches the top edge of the c channel. I dont know yet, but I would assume they bolt below the frame? Why would they rely on 1/2 of a flat headed bolt to secure a portion of the c channel instead of just having the head against the c channel base? Is this setup correct? Its on an Argosy. The entire skin appears to use olympics too. Can anyone confirm if the bolts do in fact have nuts below or are they threaded into the frame. I dont want to just knock them off without knowing their purpose and fixing point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1959539792.png
Views:	191
Size:	656.7 KB
ID:	132140   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1683240473.png
Views:	193
Size:	912.4 KB
ID:	132141  

Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Can you unscrew them with vise grips or something?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
It looks like it is "tweaking" the up-turned leg to the outside a bit. I had some that were close to the up-turned leg but not on top...after straightening, I replaced them with carriage bolts.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I had 3/8 or better bolts with nuts on the front part of the channel. Those did not have a flat head like these, and they inserted from the botton and nutted on the top with a quarter inch flat stock between the c channel and a lock washer. The ones in the picture are nothing like the others. No, I havent taken the belly pan off yet, was gonna try to sneak the subfloor in without doing that, but thee have created a wrinkle in my plan.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB
Can you unscrew them with vise grips or something?
I tried that...they are too rusty to budge. I am afraid to put the 3/4 drive with a 2 ft breaker handle to it for fear that there is a welded blind nut on the other side. I just thought maybe someone knew what was below before I go removing the bellypan and the bannana wraps...if I knew for sure they were below the bellypan I could avoid removing the wrap...im too tired or lazy to do it, and am seeking some experience feedback to allow my laziness to continue. LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
I hate to bust your bubble but how exactly were you going to tighten up the new elevator bolts and the main frame holddown bolts unless you have access to the bottom once the new floor is in. Sorry but you have to drop the belly for access.
I haven't seen anything like those before either on mine or anybody elses trailer either. They sure don't look right and I wouldn't replace them with new ones like that.They sort of look like floors screws but with smaller heads. Floor screws are self tapping into the frame.
Strange that the entire shell is riveted on with Olympics. I could see some skin done that way if it was damaged and a replacement panel put on for a repair but not the whole trailer like that.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris
I hate to bust your bubble but how exactly were you going to tighten up the new elevator bolts and the main frame holddown bolts unless you have access to the bottom once the new floor is in. Sorry but you have to drop the belly for access.
I haven't seen anything like those before either on mine or anybody elses trailer either. They sure don't look right and I wouldn't replace them with new ones like that.They sort of look like floors screws but with smaller heads. Floor screws are self tapping into the frame.
Strange that the entire shell is riveted on with Olympics. I could see some skin done that way if it was damaged and a replacement panel put on for a repair but not the whole trailer like that.
I was hoping you'd find this thread Chris. The bellypan on this one does not cover the tongue area. I wondered if it had been repaired at some time in its life myself...the rivets, the shortened bellypan, a steel plate inside the front affixed with rivets to the exterior skin, the really good condition of the tongue and some overspray where none should be.

Those bolts are consistent though, they both sit on top of the c channel. Weird, huh?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
I think I can solve some of your mysteries.
The belly not covering the tongue area. If it is open only between the A frame area back to the first crossmember that would be the location of the spare tire carrier. There should be a sheet of aluminium right on the underside of the floor sheet in that area to protect the floor from the elements.
The steel plate inside the front affixed with rivets to the exterior skin sounds like the front holddown plate. It should have two rows of rivets to the shell and the plate is between the shell and the front C channel and will be welded to the edges of the A frame.
The Olympics and those oddly placed bolts/screws into the channel I don't know about though.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Excellent! Thank you. NOW FOR THE BIGGIE, THE GAME CHANGER, THE ONE THING that is gonna cause a HUGE stir if I let the cat outa the bag...

The written word (from the factory) that appears on the body frame crossmember, written in marker as if standing on the outside of the frame and shell is "CURBSIDE" and drumroll please....

It is on what we all refer to as streetside. The left side of the coach when standing in the trailer!!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
x

XXXX , XXXX
I'm not sure how that is "THE BIGGIE, THE GAME CHANGER". Either some one installed a crossmember backwards or it simply could have been mislabeled in the first place.
Does it look to be oriented the same as all the other crossmembers, IE: is it upside down or reversed side to side?
Who knows maybe the frame was built to be shipped overseas where they drive on the left. Then curbside is indeed on the left side and streetside is on the right when standing in the trailer and looking forward. Just kidding of course.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris
I'm not sure how that is "THE BIGGIE, THE GAME CHANGER". Either some one installed a crossmember backwards or it simply could have been mislabeled in the first place.
Does it look to be oriented the same as all the other crossmembers, IE: is it upside down or reversed side to side?
Who knows maybe the frame was built to be shipped overseas where they drive on the left. Then curbside is indeed on the left side and streetside is on the right when standing in the trailer and looking forward. Just kidding of course.
If it was going overseas wouldn't the door also be on the other side? Smiles
Old 06-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Mystery bolts identified...they are small carriage type bolts. They had square nuts below and I had to cut them out with a grinder and cutoff disk. Yikes! The subfloor was extremely stubborn...am I supposed to completely remove the c channel? I got the old floor out, but it took some ingenuity and some pursuasion. Actually a block screwed to the floor and a hammer. Im afraid going back in may be a problem? Any advice would be appreciated.