Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
C channel

The c channel used to attach the plywood in the rear floor to the airstream shell has busted in 4 different points on my 1975 31 ft airstream, where can.i get more of this stuff?
shadeemry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Either remove it and have it welded, which I did for maybe $40 or try out of doors mart which I believe carries the entire rear u shaped curve for the rear of your AS.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There are natural gaps in the original design at the 4 corners of the trailer? Are your busted areas in the corners? They use a different type of C-channel for the curved sections than the straight sections. They left a gap at these points which is an exit point for water leaks that run down the walls and the water ends up in the corners and that is one reason the floor rots in the corners. This is the second biggest cause of floor rot besides the plate at the back of the trailer.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTransit
Either remove it and have it welded, which I did for maybe $40 or try out of doors mart which I believe carries the entire rear u shaped curve for the rear of your AS.
I will def give out of doors mart a call, thankx
Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114
There are natural gaps in the original design at the 4 corners of the trailer? Are your busted areas in the corners? They use a different type of C-channel for the curved sections than the straight sections. They left a gap at these points which is an exit point for water leaks that run down the walls and the water ends up in the corners and that is one reason the floor rots in the corners. This is the second biggest cause of floor rot besides the plate at the back of the trailer.

Perry
Ok I have the piece ordered, 54 bucks..thx for the tip
Old 12-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeemry

Ok I have the piece ordered, 54 bucks..thx for the tip
Just an update, that out of doors mart u channel is WAY better then this flimsy stock u channel, and has a separate channel for the floor to slide into..no bolting it down...the strength on this thing is just amazing.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The older trailers used the flimsy stuff. On the newer trailers the flimsy stuff is only used in the curved areas where the stuff with the floor channel won't bend around the corners. What area are you replacing?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114
The older trailers used the flimsy stuff. On the newer trailers the flimsy stuff is only used in the curved areas where the stuff with the floor channel won't bend around the corners. What area are you replacing?

Perry
Theirs is a u channel out of doors mart now sells, and it's the revised airstream channel, it's thicker, includes a channel all the way around for the floor, similar if not exactly what you mention for the straight channels. even the bend, and is very strong.

I'm replacing the u channel, or it's actually known now as the floor channel bow..I went hunting for the part number to see if I could get the exact peace from airstream company, and after contacting them, I was advised that narrow body trailers were replaced with this:

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...oducts_id=1002
Old 12-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
How long of a piece do you need? PM and I will BE SANTA!
Santa's helper... Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote