Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Bumper Dragging: past time activity

Our 23 foot Safari had dragged the two rear skids several times. I am not sure what benefit these rear bumper frame extensions provide to avoid the aluminum bumper dragging. At least the aluminum polished bumper went unblemished.

Not so with the 25 foot International. Just caught a slight high spot when crossing a creek bed and a slightly different slope angle, leaving than the safe crossing the opposite direction.

This was discovered when trying to open the bumper storage area and... the center of the bumper was rotated as if something held the bottom edge and rotated it to the rear. The top was rotated forward.

I removed the bumper and the bend was near center. Found a Juniper tree that had two thick main trunks about four feet off the ground. Inserted one end and my wife and I began to 'torque' the bumper back into shape.

You have to 'over bend it', as it will spring back a fraction of an inch or more. To correct for some twist in the center area that was originally 'dragged' I have a large three to four foot pipe wrench, put a 2x4 inch section on the top and bottom edge about a foot long, so not to tear the aluminum. (The bumper is now attached to the rear frame member.) ... and pulled it back within 90% of original.

If I get ambitious, I may try to get the extra half inch of the lower section twisted to where it was originally.

After mowing the lawn for most of the morning... I am about ready to do anything concerning yard work for the day. This sounds like something that might just keep me out of trouble later today.

Good luck if you had a similar situation. No one really notices what I had to do on this bumper... but just a wee bit more and I will be content.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
After reading the introduction, I should have proof read it before catching dinner!

Before spending money to replace a bent bumper, try bending it back to fit. Using leverage of the length of the bumper and cradled within a strong 'crotch of a tree', a friend or two to push or pull... it can be done.

Sorry for missing some words in some sentences, obviously I was typing faster than I could think...
Old 08-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Hi Ray:

Your comments about yard work are well taken. So far I've kept out of trouble, and I'm still working on Wyoming's dirt and dust on my trailer. I thought I had it clean, but noticed today there's still some Wyoming on the window and door caulk.

On our way to Wyoming Susan and I tried boondocking at the head of Montpelier Reservoir just west of Kemmerer, WY. We found a wonderful meadowy spot, but couldn't get into it--high centered on the stinger as the truck rolled thru the rather deep ditch.

After this experience I meant to ask you what you thought about lift kits, since I saw you didn't have one installed on your 25'. My understanding is that the kit for Dexter #11 axles would raise the trailer 2.75 inches. Had we the lift kit, we could raise the ball mount 2 holes up on the stinger, allowing us to cut 4" off the bottom of the stinger. So we would have been camping--instead of driving 5 miles to the first place we could safely turn round and another 10 miles back to what turned out to be a great place.

Anyhow, the lift kit is supposed to make bumper dragging less frequent, and your bottom step a more appropriate step up from ground level.

View upstream from Montpelier Reservoir:

Dust, we got lots of stinkin dust.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
I'm for them,
Old 03-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I just installed a dexter lift kit on our 13, 31' classic, it raised everything up 3" total, short pulls, everything is fine, west coast next month, then I will know if any towing difference, ..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I did it to our 22' Sport. Love it. Can't tell any difference when towing, thousands of miles now.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I didnt have any trees around today positioned right so put my Redneck method to work, I was planning on replacing it but after spending most of today on it it's a keeper. It had been hit in the rear and the storage door would not close properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	847.0 KB
ID:	282124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	282125  

AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote