Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Body mount bolting suggestions

So I hope to bolt the rear area down this week and had a couple questions.

To increase the surface area I intend to cut a curved piece of aluminum stock, probably 1/4" thick or so and bolt through that down into the rear crossmember and main frame rails.

I want to use aluminum to minimize the dissimiliar metals, however I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for type of bolts to use? Is there a way to somehow isolate the steel from aluminum to avoid issues later? I thought about rubber but in a few years that would break down and the bolts would then not be torqued correctly. I thought about applying a bead of vuelkem between the washer and aluminum surface.

Thanks!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
A good epoxy primer on all mating surfaces, Plus seal your 1/4" strap into the "C" channel.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I did the same bolt down using a 2" aluminum channel.

I sprayed the whole thing with a thick coat of zinc.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Ok, thanks! I'll have to check the paint shop and see what they have in the area in small quantities. Are there particular brands of epoxy primer that are better than others you could recommend?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Stainless bolts are a suitable option. We use them extensively in our aluminum fabrications. We use nylon, or pvc sheet stock for shims and spacers. I would avoid galvanized bolts.

Good Luck,

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Ok, thanks! I'll have to check the paint shop and see what they have in the area in small quantities. Are there particular brands of epoxy primer that are better than others you could recommend?
I've been using an aviation/marine high solids two part epoxy primer by US Paint but it is real expensive. I've gotten some overspray on some of my exterior skins and two applications of Aircraft Stripper have still not removed it all.
Whatever brand you use is better then a rattle can. And as always, the necessary safety precautions should be observed. So in other words, just use a quality product.

Sealing out moisture from the metals/hardware is the key to preventing corrosion.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks guys, yes I'm a big fan of stainless hardware, just in general. When I replaced the waste valve on our 69 I wondered why they didn't use stainless screws since it took me 3 or 4 hours to get the rusted ones out in order to remove the valve. Since they are only a few cents more per fastener its definately worth it.

I hadn't thought about a nylon washer added to seperate, surely would last much longer than most other non-metalic options.

Kip I'll check with our paint store that does all the PPG and Zoletone, Por-15 etc and see what they have. I'm sealing the heck out of the back, every precaution I can make, but know that in time water will get in somehow from somewhere and want to do everything I can to minimize damage.