Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Southern Pines , North Carolina
Belly pan removal/ floor replacement

I am about to embark on removing the belly pan on our 1973 airstream sovereign. I'm not sure how to go about it precisely. I've read on the forums that you just need to drill out all the rivets. Is it that simple? Do we need to support the frame or anything like that?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Pretty much, yes. But, get ready for THE messiest job you'll ever undertake on your airstream. Lot's of dirt and mouse droppings will be falling out while you remove the belly pan. Protect yourself and anyone helping you with long sleeves, goggles, and some form of breathing mask or respirator. The more you cover yourself, the better.

There's no need to add additional support under the frame just because you're removing the belly pan. If you can raise the trailer some to give you more working room, that would be good.

Chris

Old 07-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Before you drop the belly pan you will need to remove the support jacks and the gas piping on the bottom. Once those are gone then you can start drilling the rivets on the lower trim and remove that. That will expose the top part of the side wraps so you can drill those rivets. Once they are off then the sheet metal on the very bottom can come off. And do protect yourself from the dust, dirt and fiberglass that will come out. Take pictures of how it all comes apart because you will need to reference them when it comes time to put it all back together. I did the back half over the winter and spring and you can see some of what I encountered if you look through my blog posts <points down >.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Pretty much, yes. But, get ready for THE messiest job you'll ever undertake on your airstream. Lot's of dirt and mouse droppings will be falling out while you remove the belly pan. Protect yourself and anyone helping you with long sleeves, goggles, and some form of breathing mask or respirator. The more you cover yourself, the better.

There's no need to add additional support under the frame just because you're removing the belly pan. If you can raise the trailer some to give you more working room, that would be good.

Chris
Oh yea all that is listed above. I also found it handy to place a large tarp on the ground for all that "stuff" to fall on. Once you have the belly pan pieces down you can pull the tarp out, fold it a few times and have a nice pile of "stuff" to clean up. Much easer than trying to sweep it all up.