Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #1

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Duvall , Washington
Bathroom leak

New to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 2015 23’ Flying Cloud FB that has a leak somewhere in the bathroom that has stained the linoleum and it appears to be spreading. I took it to the dealer who said they think it is originating somewhere under the shower. They indicated they could repair the leak and replace the linoleum (entire floor) for a little over $8000. Does anyone have an opinion, based on experience, if that price is out of line? How much should it cost? Is it very difficult to replace the floor/linoleum if I chose to do it myself? I am fairly handy. I am also curious to hear your thoughts on just doing a partial replacement and adding a threshold between the main cabin and bathroom as a transition? I am planning on selling after this is resolved and I’m worried that option might affect resale value. Looking forward to your comments.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
That price is online with Marmoleum, not the cheap linoleum that airstream comes with.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:07 AM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I have experience here with a corner bath in my 2008 25SS. Leak was at the P-trap. They didn’t fit it right day 1 at the factory. Leak was very slow to work it’s magic but after 6 years when we found it we had to tear out the back of the trailer and replace subfloor. Was $6k. That did not include removing all the interior, which I would not do.

We put back hardwood flooring and installed around the perimeter of the cabinetry / furniture. Worked out great.

First things first find the leak - start from below and remove the belly pan to get access to the shower from below...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
. . .
First things first find the leak - start from below and remove the belly pan to get access to the shower from below...
^^^^^ x2

Good advice IMO.

Welcome to the forum, Jeff! You might also consider asking Airstream to cover this under your [expired] warranty, as a "latent/hidden defect" which has only become obvious over time. At least this might give you some wiggle room in discussing the cost of repair -- IMO.

These "shower leak floor damage" search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=show...com&gws_rd=ssl

. . . may disclose similarly-situated events after the warranty period. If there was some pattern during the manufacturing of trailers near yours time-wise [like the use of a bad glue for waste piping], you might actually get AS to cover this IMO. The quality control over the years has been fairly inconsistent IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
If you can't get it fixed under an "extended warranty," and you are selling it anyway, you might consider just listing it with the information about the leak disclosed. If you try fixing it yourself, you may end up with something that doesn't look as good as it could, and if you pay to have someone else do it, you probably won't recover that cost. Without seeing pics or knowing exactly what the problem is, it's hard to tell, but letting the buyer know about the issue and offering a reduced price may be best for you both.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Bathroom leak

Yeah... bathroom leaks are the worst [emoji20]

You need to think carefully about selling without really know the extent of the damage. You could really make someone’s life pretty miserable on the backend.

Everything looked ok on my trailer until the linoleum was pulled up. And then came some really really bad news followed by major surgery.......

But it was fixed right and I had no issue selling the following year knowing that it was ready to rock for the next 10,20,30+ years...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	346931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	346932  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	346933  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Duvall , Washington
Thanks. $6000 was the first quote I received to replace all the linoleum. Then they came back with $8000. I like the hardwood idea. The original linoleum seems a little cheap.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #8

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Duvall , Washington
I took it to the local Airstream dealer to see if they would fix it under warranty and they refused. However, I believe I had it noted on a Service order while it was still under warranty (They couldn't find the leak at the time). The local dealer had it for a month and was supposed to test it and find the leak, but they never tested it, they just said it was probably leaking from around the P-trap which makes me believe it may have been a common problem. If I can find that record I'll try calling the factory.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa_Jeff View Post
If I can find that record I'll try calling the factory.

That would be stellar if you could find that.

And regarding the hardwood vs. linoleum... hardwood will add a lot of weight, and doesn't always behave well in a vehicle that sees some extreme variance in temperature and moisture (not to mention vibration). You might take a look at Luxury Vinyl Plan (click lock LPV). It's what a lot of people go with because it's more stable and light, and readily available at any big box store (or online if you want something fancier). Just make sure you go with the top of the line with what the big box offers (the "best" they offer is still only around five or six bucks a square foot).
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote