Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
bathroom floor+ univolt in 1965

we are in the middle of taking out the rear bathroom floor to replace it. we have one side done and the other side holds the univolt. Does anyone know how to get this out. We think we can replace the back 2 ft section that is rotted without removing the cabinet, but the univolt is in a hard to reach and see spot. We just need to know if it is bolted down and with how many bolts and where.
dreadydreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Here's the procedure from the 72 service manual (the first Airstream service manual)
a. diconnect 120 power cord
b.switch brakers off
c. remove Univolt panel or open door
d. remove the 2 screws at the front securing plywood base to univolt stand. Do not remove at shock mount area
e. disconnect harness wires from faceplate
f. Slide Univolt and plywood base out
g. when reinstalling the steel legs should not come in contact with the plywood base
Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
It is held down with wood screws in each corner. It is so heavy it feels like something more is holding it down. I just replaced mine, and i'm happy as a clam. The new intelli power unit weighs approx 8-9lbs, compared to 30-40 for the univolt. Nows your chance to ditch the old univolt. Mine was covered by a shelf in the bathroom closet. It was easier to cut the shelf out and make a new one. No way could I get the mounting screws out of the univolt where it was buried. Good luck! Happy Thanksgiving. George.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
Thanks guys, Today we were finally able to unbolt the univolt from the floor. It was not bolted really, but on the short side of the box there were some metal strips that had 3 holes in each end. On the (outside) where we couldn't see it was screws that did not need to be taken out only push the box toward the wall and then you can pull it straight up. the side closer to the inside of the camper was three screws that had to be taken out first. in order to see behind the thing my husband took our video camera and zoomed in back there. ugh, it was a chore! So was water heater removal. but now the floor is cut out and we can start coating the frame!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
I haven't been able to find my Univolt yet. I don't even know if it is really in there. When folks say they find theirs hidden behind this and that, well, at least it gives me hope to keep looking. No hum. I'll check tomorrow to see if the battery is being charged when plugged into shore power.
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
73 Sovereign Univolt location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgrin View Post
I haven't been able to find my Univolt yet. I don't even know if it is really in there. When folks say they find theirs hidden behind this and that, well, at least it gives me hope to keep looking. No hum. I'll check tomorrow to see if the battery is being charged when plugged into shore power.
The Univolt on my 73 rear bath, twin bed Sovereign is curbside rear just behind the outside compartment and under the rear curbside closet. You can easily see it from the outside rear compartment by looking towards the rear. It is accessable enough so you can open the Univolt panel to get at the fuses relatively easy. There is also a small sliding access door in the bottom of the closet. I don't have my Sovereign anymore so this is from memory, but I can absolutely say the Univolt in my 73 Sovereign is rear curside. Your battery cables should take you to the Univolt.

Tags