Old 03-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brooklet , Georgia
Axle lingo??

I am about to pull the trigger on a 77 airstream argosy 28' model. Not sure if we are allowed to speak of argosy's here? I am new to this and have only done home remodels so far and basic upkeep on an old fifth wheel we used to own. This will be a complete gut and renovation. My question is about all of the axle talk. Ya'll guys use some lingo about axles that i dont understand as of yet. Can someone give me the basics of what to look at on this one i am about to purchase on the axle portions only? Unloaded axles etc? Not sure what that means?
Duckgirl321

I have lusted after the airstreams for years, but this argosy is pretty cute. Or it will be at least!!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
They actually have a whole separate forum for argosy's. Click on the forums tab on top of the page, then trailers and scroll down to the argosy section. Lots of axle information there and in the technical section under "running gear". Good luck with the trailer. We also have a 77 28' model and love it.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brooklet , Georgia
Ok, sorry about that!! Lemmo go find the Argosy people!! Thx!!
Old 03-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Axles on the forums? Kinda like bashing a hornets nest with a stick!!!!!!You're gonna get a response. Loaded USEALLY means complete with brakes ready to bolt on. "Set" means the rubber core inserts are or nearly rock solid, no suspension action remaining. Down angle, how far in degrees the arm coming out of the square axle tube angles down. Go to a TORSION axle mfr site and look at their diagrams and info. Like most things it really isn't all that complex when you see it. When you buy older Airstream or Argosy you should expect to buy new and complete [loaded] axles. They have a limited lifespan.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There is an axle forum here and they don't care if you have an Argosy or an Airstream and Argosy is just an Airstream painted white. They are 90% identical.

Axle Forum

Axles - Airstream Forums

Perry
Old 03-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brooklet , Georgia
Thanks Perry, i didnt see that forum before! And i know about the argosy, i just was preparing myself to be teased by the silver beasts.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have one of each, Argosy and Airstream. As mentioned above they are 90% identical in the metal round body series made from '73 to about '80. The early Argosy motorhomes were the prototypes for the later Airstreams. Some of the square Argosy's were prototypes for the Squarestreams in the late 80's and early 90's. At one time some looked down on the Argosy as an inferior Airstream. That is simply not the case anymore.

Welcome to the madness.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Surprisingly there is not much Airstream snobbery here. As others have said, Argosy's were a test bed for a lot of innovations that Airstream was afraid to do on their main line.

Perry