Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

1962 19' Globetrotter
canmore , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to hottrotter
Asbestos flooring tiles?? original airstream

I have an original 62 airstream are those asbestos tiles??
how do i find out?
hottrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forum.
Generally, if the tiles are 9" squares, they are asbestos. If they are 12" tiles, they are not.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #3

1962 19' Globetrotter
canmore , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to hottrotter
thanks
hottrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Bean-e-doo solvent will remove them. It's non flammable, vegetable based.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Wet them down so it does not become airborne. You can just though them in the trash, because it is encapsulated within the tile. It when they break that it releases the asbestos
Old 03-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
alfred , New York
a question for you.
i am replacing my subfloor around the door and also in the rear (64 globetrotter). the asbestos tiles are hard and fast on the subfloor. po removed some and loots to have given up on taking all the tiles off and put sheet of luan over everything then lineoleum floor on top. i'd like to remove all the tiles and get down to a good subfloor, then top with a flooring yet to be determined.

to take the tiles off, would you wed the tiles, and then try to get a crow bar underneath to rip them off the subfloor? anyway easier? not the strongest, but i am strong for 5'3" old woman, and still quite handy. thanks for your time and consideration.
diane
nevermoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Be sure to wear a respirator or at least a mask when removing the tiles. Seems I read somewhere on the forums some have used a heat gun to loosen them. I personally used one of those shingle shovels that roofers use to get shingles up. I ground down the edge of the shovel so it was sharper.
I was lucky that the majority of my asbestos laden tiles were loose. Only had a handful of sticklers.
Good luck with your project.

Go girl power!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
alfred , New York
thanks! before i posted, i did take a skill saw to the floor, had it set too deep and cut thru about 9 of them underneath the lino/luan layer before the brain power kicked in "asbestos?" duh.....

just took shower, washing clothes and off to lowes for respirator. totally agree with you about girl power, go sister!!!!!!!!!!!

di
Old 04-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermoor View Post
thanks! before i posted, i did take a skill saw to the floor, had it set too deep and cut thru about 9 of them underneath the lino/luan layer before the brain power kicked in "asbestos?" duh.....

just took shower, washing clothes and off to lowes for respirator. totally agree with you about girl power, go sister!!!!!!!!!!!

di
How's the project coming along?
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
alfred , New York
hi!!!!!! so far slow but good. about 3/4 of the tiles removed. but got redirected by the floor rot. of the 2 rot areas in the front on either side, i've cut out the rot on the driver side and made a cardboard template. removed the frig and got all that rot area exposed. after patching the first area, will move to the door/frig area. what i am most excited about is the removal of all the backend fixtures (tub, toilet, sink, hot water tank). what an ordeal, but i now see the extent of the rot in the trailer. removing all those fixtures had me staring at a tangled yet working mess of wires and the univolt system (next winter i suspect) a former student helped me with the back end, thank goodness.

i decided the best strategy for me was to start with the simplest, and have various states of repair going on at the same time.... hoping that the learning/fixing process would make for smarter and quicker work.

and spring is here!!!!!! ah..... the call of the geese speaks to the call of the roads!