Old 04-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Cape Elizabeth , Maine
Argosy frame rot in Maine

We're new to this whole process and recently purchased a 1975, 24' Argosy. The interior appears to be in decent shape, the outside needs to be painted, but our main concern in the frame. Its currently at the Airstream dealer in Stoughton, MA. From our conversations with them so far it seems as if they are unable to deal with frame rot repair. We are looking for recommendations in the greater Boston, southern NH or southern ME areas. We live outside of Portland, ME and are anxious to get our project started now that the snow if finally gone!!! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kristen and Zach

kmatzkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Exeter , New Hampshire
Not knowing how bad your frame rot might be it may be hard to offer to much advice. We've only had our Airstream ('61 Tradewind) for 3 years but I am not aware of any local (NH/MA/ME) businesses that I would trust our trailer to do significant work on. I can ask around at our next WBCCI rally in 2 weeks in Cape Cod. The one place I can personally recommend is Colin Hyde Restorations in Plattsburgh NY. He replaced my axles and did some other work. He also is the co-host of The Vintage Airstream Podcast ( and there is a ton of information from the old shows, especially if you want to take on some of the repairs yourself. The airforums has even more information but you have to dig a bit for the really good nuggets and filter out some of the chaff. A very local (to you) resource might be the woman who we bought our trailer from. She runs her business Vintage Maine Vacations out of her place in Cape Elizabeth. Might be worth a call to see if Petey might know of someone. She has several trailers and does most if not all of the restorations herself. Good luck.

Tincandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Cape Elizabeth , Maine
Thanks Tincandad! Petey lives around the corner, too funny that's who you bought your airstream from. She's been a great resource so far, but like you said does most of her work herself...I'll keep plugging along, might be best to just get her up here and go from there!
kmatzkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Does the repair have to be done locally? While Martin is having his Argosy done at that dealer, the rotted frame may need specialization. The Airstream factory in Jackson Center, OH would surely be able to do it exceptionally well (though that's clearly inconvenient). One of the folks attending the New England Unit rally mentioned earlier just had his Bambi frame repaired there. In fact - if you wanted to visit a local rally, you'll find lots of people (not me!) who really know their stuff and could offer some advice....

You could also call Colonial in NJ - they seem to have a pretty stellar reputation.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I am a little surprised Airstream NE are saying they can't do the work. They have welded in the new sub-frames for my batteries, water and propane tanks (although my frame had already been replaced in Florida before I shipped it up). I have also seen (extensive) body and frame repairs being carried out on newer Airstream whilst ours has been worked on - they are an auto-body shop (and Ford dealership) as well as an Airstream dealer. Really doesn't matter what I think though, if they aren't willing to take it on; but if they are saying it is too big a job then I would be a little worried whether it is beyond repair/needs a new frame.
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote