Old 03-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Peter Luger
1968 17' Caravel
Roxbury , New York
Anyone interested in assisting on a floor replacement? Possibly more

Hey Folks,

Well much to my dismay the subfloor in my 1968 Caravel needs to be replaced. The plywood all around the perimeter is damp, soft , and in spots crumbles in your hand.

Although I am handy in many ways, taking an Airstream apart, replacing the floor, inspecting the plumbing and electrical, making any further repairs, and putting her back together is a task I would like to do with someone with experience. This would be a joint venture,your knowledge and my labor.

Considering the Caravel' age repairs may go beyond the floor. From reading many theads I understand welding, plumbing, electrical, and gas line work may also be needed.

So if anyone in the forums community would like to host and lead this undertaking please contact me. As well if you know of someone who you think would be a good fit for this unique request please reply to this thread. I am willing to bring the Caravel anywhere in the states. Of course I would compensate you for your time, efforts, knowledge, and leadership.

I am hoping that this project will be fun, a learning experience, and result in a Caravel that will become part of my family for years to come.

Peter Luger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member
1968 30' Sovereign
1960 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Norwich , New York
peter, my name is don stanton ,i operate chevy ave. restorations in north norwich ny. i have been restoring 60s chevys for over 30 years,and we are finaly shifting gears to airstreams also.i have a 68 sovereign that we have replaced the bathroom floor and the entryway floor.we are curently putting the interior back in.we are also restoring a 65 jeep wagoneer tow vehicle for a customer to tow his 58 sovereign of the road.we also have his 58 travelall waiting to come in to the shop. so if you need help with your AS.or TV give us a call ,we can help. DON.

stanton66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Thumbs up Great idea Peter!

This Thread is a good idea for those members looking for help with their Airstream who may not have deep pockets

Great idea
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
1977 31' Sovereign
Kalispell , Montana
Peter I would love to help with this project, I think it would be great but a little to far to drive for me Montana to New York, if I was in your area you could count me in, good luck Peter do it right.
1977 31' landyacht Sovereign
davidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Peter Luger
1968 17' Caravel
Roxbury , New York

Thanks for reply to the post. Really what I am looking for is someone to host and provide direction and knowledge. Sort of an apprenticeship if you will. Your service sounds great though and I will keep you in mind.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Just too much to learn to hand over to someone else.

Thanks for your reply. No distance is to great for the right situation. I would certianly bring the Caravel to Montana. Beautiful countryside out there in Big Sky. Previously I have lived in Idaho, never made it to Kalispell, always hoped to visit. Send me a PM if you still are considering.

Thanks to all,

Peter Luger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Peter, what sort of area do you have to work in, and do you have space in a garage or something to store the interior while it's out?

I did the front half of my trailer on the gravel drive next to the garage. I stored the trailer furniture inside the garage or in the house. It takes up a LOT of room. But the floor repair wasn't that bad to do by myself. I got a lot of good advice from the forum, and there's a bunch of threads here already from folks who have done it. About the only outside help I ended up needing was a welder, and a friend with a more powerful drill came over to help drill the tek screws through the new floor and into the framerails.

I'm just saying, as long as you have a place to work, and room to store the stuff that comes out of it, I have no doubt you could do this job yourself with advice from the forum.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote