Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
Anyone had floor fixed in new Airstream?

I have new 19ft Flying Cloud Bamby that needs floor repair because of bump
in front of toilet. Cause is unknown, It's not water, could be tongue and grove
seam. My consern is they have to take out cabinets and a lot of other stuff so they can lift off the vinyl flooring to get to the problem and fix it.
What will the results look like? Lots of plumbing in that area. Are the cabinets
riveted to the inside aluminum? I don't like the idea to just live with it. I feel the bump every time I walk over it.
Thanks Steve
Steve Siler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Have it done at Jackson Center.
I haven’t read anything good on here about Airstream service departments in the northwest.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
This is a tough one. Airstream puts the flooring down and then builds the trailer top of it. So, getting under rolled vinyl to repair the plywood means exactly what you suspect. They will have to remove everything in order to see what’s causing the bump. This is awful for a brand new owner and trailer to contemplate. Obviously, your call as to what you want done. JC can obviously take care of this but you live in Oregon and that’s a very long haul. Has the dealer been involved in a conversation about this defect? (There’s no way I would trust most dealers to completely strip out all of the interior of my brand new trailer and expect it to look factory perfect.) My solution (and this is just me), would be to remove the toilet. Then I’d take a utility knife and carefully cut out all of the vinyl flooring in the bathroom. Fix the offending bump. Then, I’d put in some really cool floor covering (maybe the wood look stuff they have at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I’d put a nice threshold piece where the new floor butts against the vinyl floor at the threshold into the bathroom. Many of us have changed out flooring in our trailers to something other than the stock light "fake wood" vinyl that Airstream uses. That’s what I’d do. I’m guessing you didn’t spot this defect on the PDI.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
I have a 2016 26U with a small bulge in the flooring just outside the bathroom door. Looks like the techs slid a bathroom wall along the vinyl and stretched it as they moved the walls into place. Bothered me at first. Then it started coming and going as the weather changed here in Ontario. Thought I'd cut a slit in the bump and let the air out. Decided against that as water might get under the flooring should there be a leak.Now I just live with it and am thankful my Airstream doesn't have a leak anywhere. No way I'd want my new Airstream ripped apart again. Just imagine the unseen damage that could be done. I've had both the kitchen and bathroom counter tops taken out of my AS and I could not believe the sloppy job done on the install of the cabinets. Extra screw holes every where, missing screws in brackets, crooked supports. The advice given by BAB is the way I'd handle your defect if you can't live with it.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Our daughter and her husband have a FC31 that they bought new in 2015. There was a small leak that they didn't discover until after the floor was damaged. The Seattle area dealer was supposed to have shipped it back to KC for repair but after it sat around for several weeks the dealer decided to repair it themselves. They remove all of the cabinetry as you have described, made a repair of unknown description to the floor and put everything back. Now there are several places where items no longer align with each other etc. If it were me I would insist that the trailer be shipped back to KC for repair on their nickel.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Before everyone gets you upset call your dealer or the factory and see what they recommend..
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
Thanks BAB. I have replaced floor in my previously owned 16ft Scamp. I used Aromatic Cedar just like they put in closets. Smelled realy good and looked much better than the stinky stained carpet. My concern with your plan to remove toilet and cut out bath area is the vinyl goes under shower base, toilet, and bed. The vinyl in my Airstream has a soft feel. If you push on it with fingers it leaves an empression that slowly goes away. I've been told it's not glued down, just flooting and held down by cabinets. Still working with local dealer for solution. Appreciate your comments. Steve
Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
I haven’t read anything good on here about Airstream service departments in the northwest.

Vote 2 for the above.
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hold the phone guys. The flooring shrinks in cold weather. Mine was worse this year more than ever, as it was very cold for very long in January and early February. I just went out and scooted and worked it back under the full length of the galley. I thought about removing drawers and stapling, but I don't think it smart, as it might shrink and tear next year. It's a small once a year, 5 minute fix.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
By the time I drove the brand new 2015 23D International Serenity from New Jersey to Paradise, TX (just under 2,000 miles) the dinette table leg had worn a hole in the stock flooring. I replaced that cheap stuff with Marmoleum as we had installed that in the Classic because of Airstream flooring failure.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wilmington , North Carolina
I would like to get an update on Steve Siler's situation for a couple of reasons: 1. How good is the AS customer service? and 2. I have a FC30 bunk (my 2nd AS) that has a couple of nicks in the vinyl thanks to my children. I am planning to change out the countertops with the help of a craftsman who works for me. While I am doing this I am considering pulling everything out and replacing the vinyl with flooring similar to the specialty AS models. Like others have mentioned, every time that I disassembled something, I find unacceptable imperfections that need attention/repair. Can anyone point me to a thread where someone has removed a late model interior for flooring replacement/upgrade? Sorry for hijacking the thread. Thanks!
tobyport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
We purchased our with a dimple in the flooring under the dinette. The selling dealer promised to repair the floor whenever we had a week or 2 to leave it. I was under the impression that they would steam the wrinkle out or let me know before replacing the linoleum but...... they cut the original floor out and glued a new floor in. The dealer thought they were doing a good job but there's nothing close to the original fit of the factory flooring. I was NOT happy about this at all but in the long run, we had planed on installing some type of hardwood looking flooring anyway. I think we will most likely use "Smartcore" from Lowes.

"Life is a team sport"
czunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wilmington , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by czunc View Post
We purchased our with a dimple in the flooring under the dinette. The selling dealer promised to repair the floor whenever we had a week or 2 to leave it. I was under the impression that they would steam the wrinkle out or let me know before replacing the linoleum but...... they cut the original floor out and glued a new floor in. The dealer thought they were doing a good job but there's nothing close to the original fit of the factory flooring. I was NOT happy about this at all but in the long run, we had planed on installing some type of hardwood looking flooring anyway. I think we will most likely use "Smartcore" from Lowes.
Smartcore looks like good stuff to consider. https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...tcore+flooring I would really like to hear from some folks who have tackled the challenge of replacing the entire floor (i.e., full scale content removal/replacement so that ALL of the flooring could be replaced/factory original look). Thanks!
tobyport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
I did arrange to have the bump repaired after the service advisor cleared the fix with Airstream headquarters. In a few days it was approved. I sechduled the repair then read all the comments on this forum and decided to live with it by putting a carpet over it. I figured if it gets worse I can always reschedule fix later. I'm still pretty sure the bump is more then just a wrinkle in the vinyl. And as I have said I have replaced flooring in previous owned trailers.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Due to the poor quality and installation, both of our current Airstreams now have Marmoleum flooring. Most of the interior was already out during the modifications so putting in new flooring was not that big of a challenge.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Have you read anything bad? My experiences have been very good.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Back to the original question, I have a floor separation issue too. We can't figure out what's causing a lift by the sink. No water leak indication of any kind. I have also seen other threads here about about screw heads popping up.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #18
Fit
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
By the time I drove the brand new 2015 23D International Serenity from New Jersey to Paradise, TX (just under 2,000 miles) the dinette table leg had worn a hole in the stock flooring. I replaced that cheap stuff with Marmoleum as we had installed that in the Classic because of Airstream flooring failure.
Basically, the same thing happened to us. The table leg unlocked while traveling and tore a rip into the floor. It also started to leave an unpleasant dimple in the floor where it sits. You would think decades of experience building travel trailers would have anticipated this and engineered it not to happen.
Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siler View Post
I did arrange to have the bump repaired after the service advisor cleared the fix with Airstream headquarters. In a few days it was approved. I sechduled the repair then read all the comments on this forum and decided to live with it by putting a carpet over it. I figured if it gets worse I can always reschedule fix later. I'm still pretty sure the bump is more then just a wrinkle in the vinyl. And as I have said I have replaced flooring in previous owned trailers.
Steve, a few things you might consider. (I'm assuming you bought your trailer new from the Gladstone store, Airstream Adventures NW) The owner of AS Adventures NW owns stores in Seattle, Portland (Gladstone), Boise, and I think Bay Area Airstream Adventures is part of the family too. In addition to that, they also run Ultimate Airstreams in Clackamas, a Airstream custom shop where you can get pretty much whatever you want. For a price.

The point is, they are not just some mom and pop operation. I would maybe talk to the manager of your store and see if maybe they and Airstream could work a deal to have Ultimate Airstreams in Clackamas take a look and fix it. Cheaper for AS than shipping to Jackson Center, the peeps at Ultimate are certainly qualified, and good will all around. My .02 cents.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siler View Post
I have new 19ft Flying Cloud Bamby that needs floor repair because of bump
in front of toilet. Cause is unknown, It's not water, could be tongue and grove
seam. My consern is they have to take out cabinets and a lot of other stuff so they can lift off the vinyl flooring to get to the problem and fix it.
What will the results look like? Lots of plumbing in that area. Are the cabinets
riveted to the inside aluminum? I don't like the idea to just live with it. I feel the bump every time I walk over it.
Thanks Steve
Is it a bump or a divot?

I am asking because there is a channel that carries electrical that runs under the floor directly in front of the toilet. Ours has had the same depression as you step on it. Basically it is a channel that is just covered with linoleum. When you step down on it you feel it. I expect most all of the Airstreams have it but it isn't really much of an issue. Just don't step on it or put a rug over it.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote