Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Any Experience With Squeaky Floor?

We were out for the first time in our new AS (for 6 days). Actually, this is our second time out, but the first trip was just an overnight trial run. Yes, after listening to the rather noisy refrigerator fan designed to torture sane people, I replaced it with three, super efficient, super quiet fans, which worked very well. However, the floor in our bathroom developed a rather severe squeak, which is very annoying indeed. Yes, we will see what the dealer can do about this since it's still under warranty, but I'm afraid of what it might take to silence the nasty squeak. Anyone with experience with this? Will they need to peel the vinyl back, cut into the wood flooring, etc. Or is there a simple fix like making a small hole and squirting in some insulating foam? Just wondering whether this will be a big project with unpleasant cosmetic results or not. Thanks for any insight.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My 2014 FC 20 had a nasty squeek in the bathroom floor when I got it. On the first service at the dealer they listened to it, and noted it on the service writeup. However they did tell me that to fix it might require a total disassembly and removal of the bathroom to get at it. I opted to leave it untouched, and see how things went. Within a month or so the squeak just went away. It is 2 years old now and the squeak has not returned.

So, have it noted in your service (or call them so it is in writing) and then, if you can, simply live with it. It may be like mine and just go away. I hope so for you. I did not want my new trailer gutted and re built. I am sure you don't either.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
My 2014 FC 20 had a nasty squeek in the bathroom floor when I got it. On the first service at the dealer they listened to it, and noted it on the service writeup. However they did tell me that to fix it might require a total disassembly and removal of the bathroom to get at it. I opted to leave it untouched, and see how things went. Within a month or so the squeak just went away. It is 2 years old now and the squeak has not returned.

So, have it noted in your service (or call them so it is in writing) and then, if you can, simply live with it. It may be like mine and just go away. I hope so for you. I did not want my new trailer gutted and re built. I am sure you don't either.
You are absolutely correct in us not wanting our bathroom floor on our new AS to be gutted just to fix something that might go away over time. I will take it to the dealer so they can have it on record and them hope the squeak goes away on it's own. Maybe I should bounce up and down in the bathroom to break it in, so-to-speak.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltorgy View Post
Maybe I should bounce up and down in the bathroom to break it in, so-to-speak.
That is "so to squeak" (sorry, I just could not resist).

Anyway, lets hope it self cures like mine did.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
Floor

Ignore it.
I install a kitchen floor and it squeaked. I told my wife it was a safety feature that warns us of approaching dangers.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
LINCOLN , Nebraska
2006 Safari 25' SS & squeaky floor

Our airstream has a squeaky floor in front of the bathroom. Sounds like the floor has come unglued from the frame. Has linoleum (original) covering the plywood but squeak coming from wood not linoleum. I assume the plywood floors are glued down as well as screwed down? Not bothering enough to be concerned but always wonder if it could be from a roof leak???
Old 07-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Squeaky floor

i had the same problem on my 2010 25' FC. It turned out to be the large screw in the bottom of the door jam, right hand side, that secures the jam to the floor structure. It Was loose and allowing movement with squeaking along the shaft of the screw. I tried larger screws and nothing wanted to hold.
I decided if I could secure the wall/floor movement I could stop the squeak.
I did it by fabricating a piece of aluminum angle 1x1x5/8 full length of the floor/wall joint and drilling/countersinking holes for 5/8 flat head Phillips screws on 2" centers both sides of the aluminum angle. Setting the screws carefully I achieved a secure joint that does not speak. I've towed it probably 5000 mi since repair and no squeaks.
Lou
Old 07-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Squeaky floor

excuse me, big fingers and small keys. I meant 1x1x1/8 aluminum angle. Not x5/8.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We've noticed a few floor squeaks but they're intermittent, and seem related to whether or not we have the stabilizers down, how firm we have them, and the levels in the tanks. All these things change the stresses on the floor and the frame. We also hear occasional thumps from the tanks changing shape as they fill and empty. The trailer is inherently flexible, and I expect the squeaks, moans and thumps it makes to evolve over time. I'm not too worried.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Great suggestions. Especially the humor. I will see what the dealer thinks of it when we take it in to be serviced, but they did mention something about a break-in period. I will check for loose screws, etc. Interestingly, the squeak disappeared for a day during our recent trip and now it might have been the day that I emptied the grey and black tanks. I can test this theory by going out now, while my AS is in storage, and walk in the bathroom since all tanks are empty. Thanks all. By the way, where the heck is the fresh water tank drain? In-between the two tires on the passenger side? Maybe I should locate the fresh water tank first and look for a drain.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Mine have a couple squeaky spots as well. I may decide to fix this myself. Hypodermic needle, contractors glue...may work...or if there is an edge to access, something like a self leveling sealer might stop the squeak. This could have been prevented by a paper layer of some sort, or a few spots of adhesive under the floor it would seem.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Problem Solved?

OK, we just went out to our AS in storage and guess what? The squeak in the bathroom is gone! The big difference between our trip with the squeak and now is that the grey and black tanks are empty. Go figure. Mystery solved? I guess we will find out the next time we are out and the tanks start filling up again. However, does that mean we will need to keep our tanks empty while on a trip in order to keep the bathroom floor from squeaking. I hope not. I still might want to have the dealer fix this while under warranty.

Lyle