Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
And so it begins......

Well, it is official. We are in up to our eyeballs. We bought a 1972 31' Sovereign that we have affectionatey named "Ugly Betty". Her PO did not appreciate her hidden beauty or her charm. PO had inherited her from her mother 8 years ago and had just left her set and deteriorate since. Her tires had actually settled 3 inches into the sand when we went to look at her. We could not tell if her tires were flat or just buried. Her rear frame was rusted clear through on one side allowing the bumper to hang at an obscene angle. She was covered with mold, pollen and silicone. We loved her! Here she is the night we looked at her.

After we got her home, we knew the first order of business had to be the rusted frame. We are hoping to have her at least functional before the Florida State Rally. So we started tearing into her. Or more accurately my husband did. Bless his heart. Here is her poor frame.

Obviously the bathroom floor had to come out to access the frame and see what all we had hiding in there. Here is what was lurking under the carpet in the bathroom.

We became very, very scared. My husband tried to put on a brave face but I could see his knees knocking. And I swear I could see dollar signs when I looked into his eyes. But he was very brave. He started cutting, welding, sawing and cussing. After a couple of weeks he announced we had a sturdy frame. Here is how her frame looks now.

He is now in the process of replacing the bathroom floor.

Here is the new quagmire. The black tank. When he took it out to repair the frame and floor we discovered that it had been the source of the leak. There is a crack where the toilet flange attaches to the tank.

You cannot see it in this picture, but imagine a really heavy person sitting on the toilet and putting all their weight on the tank connection. That is where it is split. Luckily Betty had been sitting for 8 years and any smell that might have been associated with this issue is long gone. The question is can this be repaired or are we going to have to replace it. I have seen some posts and info about repairs, but they often refer to the type of material the tank is made of. All I know for sure is that it is not fiberglass. It is some sort of plastic, but I have no idea what kind. Does anyone know what the 72 tanks are made of and can they be repaired?
So the saga continues. I pray for patience, mostly for my poor husband, who is so good about indulging me in my pursuits. I wanted an AS and so we are trying to dumb through this project with no knowledge or experience.
To be continued....................................

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
brave souls!

I think plastic welding is what you should search for. Some issues you may come across. I was unable to remove the toilet flange from our black tank. Yours may be welded to the tank. You might be able to cut the flange off and plastic weld a new one on, but I'd check with the new one first and visualize it out.

OR, you could order a new custom tank and be assured that it won't leak again. Here'ss one source. http://www.all-rite.com/

Nice floor job so far!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi there, Well to start off the tank is made of ABS plastic and they can be repaired. How well is the question. Check in your local area. There might be a plastics outfit that welds plastic. If not you can get a tank made to the exact dimensions of your old tank.

FYI - The tanks were never made to be able to support any weight from the commode. Thats what the floor is for. So if you can get it welded it'll probably last a quite a while.

Those welds look good. I sure wish I could weld like that !

Good luck on your project.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I See the Good

Hi and welcome to the FORUMS. Looks like you are proceeding in the right direction. You will have the comfort of knowing, that all the projects that you tackle first, will be items that will not likely have to be looked at for many years to come.
I see you have aluminum propane tanks, power tongue jack, awning, a Reese Dual Cam Sway control equalizing hitch,those are all great options in my book.
Take care, have fun, and continue documenting the progress. Love the pics
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Thank you for your support!

I should have taken some pics of the reinforcements he placed under the bathroom floor, but I didn't get there in time. He was concerned because there were no supports on top of the tank originally, only around the edges. So he made some center supports. He also had to add a support at the joint in the center since he didn't remove the whole floor. The portion under the shower and sink looked brand new. I will check around for someone to do plastic welding and keep you informed. I love this forum! It keeps me from feeling completely overwhelmed. At least there are people out there in cyber space that know what I am talking about and willing to help us. When I talk to anyone else about the AS, I just get that deer in the headlights look.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
Old 02-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
The tank flange failure is common when the screws holding the flange are not attached to a solid floor because of the plywood rot away.

Now all the weight is on the tank instead of the floor.

The tank can be welded without a doubt, just need to find that shop to do it.

Sometimes RV shops will have that equipment, doesn't need to be an Airstream dealer any RV place.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a 73. My prayers go with you.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Hang in there, you're at the worst of it. Take lots of pictures (for the memories) as well as for re-assembly. (been there, done that)

You'll want to refinish all your bathroom stuff with a 2-part epoxy paint as it really improves things. Put a new Sealand china toilet in there and you'll feel uptown.

The good part about all this, is when you're done you'll know what you have. As long as you don't count your own labor, you'll be $$$$ ahead. (If you keep track of your hours involved, you'll probably wish you'd sprung $10K-$12K for a refurbished unit.) But oh, the adventure!!

When you get tired and discouraged, take a break! It'll still be there next week (and the week after, and the week after, and the.....)
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
I appreciate the encouragement. I have seen posts about the two part epoxy, and it really does change the whole look of the bathroom. Right now it is a matter or priorities. Where to start!? I was to be road ready for the Rally, so we can't tear too much apart. He has been working in the bathroom and I have been tackling little jobs also. First came the bleach! Then I thought I would try tackling the vista views. All three of them are a mess. Apparently when they started getting nasty the PO's solution was to glob (and I mean GLOB) the silicone on them. So I started on the one on the curbside. I got most of the silicone off fairly easily. Then I just had the little patches left. And they have beaten me. I have tried everything. I have scoured this forum for solutions. First I tried looking for that Hoppes #9 solvent that I saw recommended. I looked everywhere. Got blank stares. So I bought some mineral spirits. I might have well just spit on it. So back to the forum. Found a suggestion for a pin stripe removing wheel, and I actually found one! Was so excited! Brought it home hooked it up to the drill and started removing. Or so I thought. Pieces were flying and progress was looking good. Until I wiped away the pieces of eraser looking stuff. The silicone was still there just like it was when I started. Sooooo. I went inside. Maybe I will try something else. I did manage to get the inside plexiglass out of one of the other vista views and cleaned it off from the inside. But there is so much silicone on the outside that it still looks like the surface of the moon when you look out. I am totally at a stand still with this stinking silicone! Don't know what to try next. Then there is the whole wing window subject. That was going to be my next project. Since I have not had much success with the vista views, I am afraid to think what the wings will bring!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Nice job! I don't exactly envy your predicament(S)-- I felt like I'd never finish all the prep- work-- the stuff no one sees! But worry not, it will be done and you'll be so happy you put so much work into her! My only advice... don't skimp, do it right the first time, and by all means, do something small but cosmetic durring all this "foundation work"-- it keeps the love alive!!!

BTW... I love your signature quote!!!
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
You can try My Dads paint remover, it won't take off right away, wash it off in 20 minutes then it should peal off.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
I will try anything at this point. Do you have any idea where I can get it? I read on here that the Hoppes #9 solvent was available at Wally World. But I have checked 2 local stores and came up empty.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
Old 02-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
removing silicone

Debbie, If you can't find anything to dissolve the silicone sealant at a Lowes or Home Depot near you fear not! Just seek out a local hardware store and talk to the guys there about what you are trying to do. You know the commercial about "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man"? Believe it or not the workers at homegrown hardware stores are very knowledgeable when it comes to stuff like this. Also try Auto parts place or a local glass shop... they may be able to sell you the stuff that they use to remove old automotive glass window sealants or steer you to where you can get it. See if they will let you have a small amount to test if it will remove your mess. Make sure to tell them what you have already tried. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. Sooner than you think you'll be enjoying your new baby and telling the repair tales around the campfire! Remember it doesn't have to be 100 percent to camp out in. Happy Trails... Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Don't ya just wanna....

shoot the guy who put that silicone on there ?

Try this, Amtex Silicone Remover I have used this product, um , I mean am currently using this product. Because I too want to shoot the @#$& person that smeared silicone over 50% of my trailer.

I also have used Dads Easy Spray I think you can get it at Home Depot.

With both of these products patience is the key.

Some others have also had some luck with the 3M silicone remover.

My advice is to do the important repairs first then tackle the silicone a little at a time. It'll take a while to get it all off the outside.

Good Luck on the Silicone removal.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Wow. Ugly Betty is in good hands. Your husband must be a welder by trade and or a do anything type person. Nice job. I envy those of you that have the courage to tackle these jobs and save a good trailer while doing it. Because I don't have the room or time, right now, I had to settle for a new trailer, but some day would like to redo one just for fun. Good Luck, Enjoy, and send lots of pictures.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #16
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Deb, in the process of removing my fresh water tank, I managed to cut a nice clean line across one end of it with the circular saw. I got it repaired at my local RV center. It cost about $90 (I think it was about that). They charged me for one hour labor and a few bucks for materials.

Y'all are doing nice work. Keep it up. You'll be camping in no time.

Let us know what solution you finally come up with for the silicone. I've got the same problem in a couple of areas.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Just for Fun?

Robert,

It is fun the first month. After that, the funmeter starts to seriously shift to the left.

Debbie,

Drop the silicone issue and start working on the interior (unless you have leak issues or have nothing else to do with yourself). (I've always used a combination of elbow grease and mineral spirits to remove silicone. A plastic scraper (for Bondo applications) is useful, as are your fingernails and a cloth towel once the heavy stuff is off.)

Rallies and event deadlines can be great motivators for finishing things, but sometimes reality takes over. While you could take it apart again, trust me...you ever won't want to. Finish it right while it's apart. If this unit is a keeper for you, suck it up and do it completely. Your husband has already done it with the frame, don't be afraid to refinish the bathroom, even if it means missing this year's rally. (They'll have another one next year, I'm sure.)
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
I will definately try some of the products mentioned here for the silicone. And yes, I want to hunt that *($&$@* down and strangle him/her that globbed on all this silicone. I mean, even if they thought it would work, did they have to just lather it on and leave it all bumpy and runny and unbelievably UGLY! As far as taking care of more important projects, I am fairly limited myself. Hubby is obviously still working in the bathroom and so I can sit in a lawn chair and watch or try to work on something at the other end. I chose the windows. My first mistake! My choices were windows or tambour. Hmmmmm..... Both are pretty intimidating. I really am not sure what else I could do. My skills are obviously more limited that my husbands. He is by the way, a man that can do just about anything. So now he is replacing the floor and rebuilding the bathroom. Her hot water heater had been replaced with a sears electric unit, so that will need replaced. And being 6'2" he really liked PizzaChop's suggestion for the "real" toilet. Once he gets all the mechanics in place then I can get in there and look at painting it. I already recovered the couch, cleaned, and loaded her up with dishes. I am running out of "girly" jobs. Off to try to find some of these silicone removers. Wish me luck!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Swampbillies... we just moved from your area... sent a pm .. to you .. I hate silicone too.. have that nasty job when we get home to Canada and get our Argosy named Costalotta out of storage ..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Wow...You moved from here to Ontario....talk about brave! I have had enough of snow and cold, gray winters. We moved here about 6 years ago from West Virginia....Hence the name SwampBillies....We had been Hillbillies all our lives and then moved here....No Hills!....So we became SwampBillies. I love it here! We still get to live in the country, have our cows and goats, but No Snow!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins