Old 02-05-2007, 11:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Wow. Ugly Betty is in good hands. Your husband must be a welder by trade and or a do anything type person. Nice job. I envy those of you that have the courage to tackle these jobs and save a good trailer while doing it. Because I don't have the room or time, right now, I had to settle for a new trailer, but some day would like to redo one just for fun. Good Luck, Enjoy, and send lots of pictures.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #16
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Deb, in the process of removing my fresh water tank, I managed to cut a nice clean line across one end of it with the circular saw. I got it repaired at my local RV center. It cost about $90 (I think it was about that). They charged me for one hour labor and a few bucks for materials.

Y'all are doing nice work. Keep it up. You'll be camping in no time.

Let us know what solution you finally come up with for the silicone. I've got the same problem in a couple of areas.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Just for Fun?

Robert,

It is fun the first month. After that, the funmeter starts to seriously shift to the left.

Debbie,

Drop the silicone issue and start working on the interior (unless you have leak issues or have nothing else to do with yourself). (I've always used a combination of elbow grease and mineral spirits to remove silicone. A plastic scraper (for Bondo applications) is useful, as are your fingernails and a cloth towel once the heavy stuff is off.)

Rallies and event deadlines can be great motivators for finishing things, but sometimes reality takes over. While you could take it apart again, trust me...you ever won't want to. Finish it right while it's apart. If this unit is a keeper for you, suck it up and do it completely. Your husband has already done it with the frame, don't be afraid to refinish the bathroom, even if it means missing this year's rally. (They'll have another one next year, I'm sure.)
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
I will definately try some of the products mentioned here for the silicone. And yes, I want to hunt that *($&$@* down and strangle him/her that globbed on all this silicone. I mean, even if they thought it would work, did they have to just lather it on and leave it all bumpy and runny and unbelievably UGLY! As far as taking care of more important projects, I am fairly limited myself. Hubby is obviously still working in the bathroom and so I can sit in a lawn chair and watch or try to work on something at the other end. I chose the windows. My first mistake! My choices were windows or tambour. Hmmmmm..... Both are pretty intimidating. I really am not sure what else I could do. My skills are obviously more limited that my husbands. He is by the way, a man that can do just about anything. So now he is replacing the floor and rebuilding the bathroom. Her hot water heater had been replaced with a sears electric unit, so that will need replaced. And being 6'2" he really liked PizzaChop's suggestion for the "real" toilet. Once he gets all the mechanics in place then I can get in there and look at painting it. I already recovered the couch, cleaned, and loaded her up with dishes. I am running out of "girly" jobs. Off to try to find some of these silicone removers. Wish me luck!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Swampbillies... we just moved from your area... sent a pm .. to you .. I hate silicone too.. have that nasty job when we get home to Canada and get our Argosy named Costalotta out of storage ..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Wow...You moved from here to Ontario....talk about brave! I have had enough of snow and cold, gray winters. We moved here about 6 years ago from West Virginia....Hence the name SwampBillies....We had been Hillbillies all our lives and then moved here....No Hills!....So we became SwampBillies. I love it here! We still get to live in the country, have our cows and goats, but No Snow!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
Old 02-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We make our winters here but the funniest thing is Hubby is from West Virginia... Pinegrove in Wetzel county...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
No Way!! It amazes me how many people we run into from back home. You wouldn't think there were that many people running around from such a small state. But then of course alot of us left! I am from Sutton in Braxton County and Lewis is from War Ridge outside of Beckley. Small world! Tell your hubby we said Hey!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Well I bought some stuff called Motsenbockers Lift Off Silicone Latex Caulk and Foam Sealant Remover. And it works! It doesn't dissolve the silicone but it loosens it grip so you can scrape it off. It works much better than anything else I have tried. I need a new manicure now, but the silicone is coming off! Question: There is a thick gray stuff under some of the silicone. It looks to be the original sealant, but it is awfully thick and ugly in places also. Is this something I should try to remove or just caulk over it? It is only on the tops of the windows and door.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
Old 02-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #24
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
That gray stuff is most likely Vulkem that was originally applied at the factory. There are many threads here on removing and recaulking with Vulkem (or other sealants). I'm recaulking with a combination of Vulkem and Sikaflex (for the most part). And yes, you should recaulk those areas (and many others) after you get them cleaned out.

Thanks for the tips on the silicon.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Cool Greetings to another Sovereign owner!

We feel your pain.... our Moby was basically in the same shape. We just now got the bathroom back together (except for the upper cabinet). It has been too cold to finish the painting. We also had to replace the entire floor and all the plumbing (it came apart in our hands when being removed).

Our previous owners only knew how to fix things with either duct tape or silicone, so I know what you are going through. We live in the country and I didn't want to go back and forth into town, so I just kept trying things to clean off the silicone. Finally found that charcoal lighter fluid changes the chemical makeup of the silicone and sort of "freezes" it, and it just pops off.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Enjoy the journey....

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Silicone remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPBILLIES
Well I bought some stuff called Motsenbockers Lift Off Silicone Latex Caulk and Foam Sealant Remover. And it works! It doesn't dissolve the silicone but it loosens it grip so you can scrape it off. It works much better than anything else I have tried. I need a new manicure now, but the silicone is coming off! Question: There is a thick gray stuff under some of the silicone. It looks to be the original sealant, but it is awfully thick and ugly in places also. Is this something I should try to remove or just caulk over it? It is only on the tops of the windows and door.
Where did you find it? It looks to work better than the elbow grease and mineral spirits I have been using! You really should clean off all the old sealant and re-caulk with Sikaflex221. That is the only thing the factory now uses on new trailers as it skins over quicker than Vulkem and stays flexible longer from what I have read. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Ed
I bought the silicone remover at lowes. Here is a picture of the package. It was less than $4.00

Sorry to took so long to get back to you. I had taken SequiaCoast's advise and started working on something cosmetic for awhile. Here are some pictures of the new curtains and the beginnings of recovering the couch. It is not done yet. But he was right, I feel much better! This weekend is going to be back to working on windows while Hubby works on getting the bathroom back together.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
Old 02-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
It's looking great! I love the cowboy curtains!