Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
Am I doing a frame on restoration without knowing it?

I got a 1961 Bambi last month. It was leaking for years and needed to have a section of the floor replaced. "Section" has turned into what is pictured. I am excited to get the floor in to start putting the trailer back together. Fortunately, the trailer is in great shape so this is the worst of it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1393734294.544349.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	654.0 KB
ID:	206648

thinktankair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Maybe. How much else of the floor are you taking up? Is it only the bath? Are you planning on removing the belly pan from the front to see if there is any frame damage or floor rot?

Ongoing adventures at:
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
I am in a similar situation, and I took the back 4ft and front 4ft off exposing the frame. The whole inside is gutted [59 Tradewind] and I have the luxury to see the floor. I went around with an ice pick to check floor and although not in the best of shape, I can get away with just replacing the back and front [with frame welding...].
I would look up front and take a look. The problem is once you start never stops. I have just the right amount of denial, lack of funds mixed with safety in mind to not make this a 2 year project. But I am using it for a studio, and not camping.
Those that think they know don't know, those that know they don't know, know.
Muskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay I have read your thread 4 times now and was not going to make a comment but then I would have to avoid your thread in the future. You will not know about the damage unless you look and then go from there. I would recommend dropping the belly pan at very least and look and go from there. "I just wanted a car not a long term project so what if the engine may be toast I am only riding in it!" Will not help down the road so do it right the first time and that will be the only time. Just sayin.
Gotta get busy! Have a great day! Now where did I put those revits?
RM66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
If you don't do it at this point and keep it you'll be sorry. If you don't do it a this point and try to sell it you'll be sorry. It will get worse weaker and smell bad. Rodents and bugs will love you though!!!! Like Cliff, I'm just sayin. Leigh
putback is offline   Reply With Quote