Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Am I crazy? Flooring for B190

On the forum here, I've seen that many people have used laminate, cork or hardware flooring in their trailers or motor homes. I found some cork engineered wood flooring ( cork on top and bottom, wood in middle) click type flooring at Home Depot.

Millstead Natural Plank Cork 13/32 in. Thick x 5-1/2 in. Wide x 36 in. Length Cork Flooring (10.92 sq. ft. / case)-PF9578 at The Home Depot

I've talked to 2 of the people in the flooring dept. there and the keep trying to steer me to the Traffic Master Allure flooring telling me that this is the type of flooring that's best for RVs and that the laminates and wood will be a problem due to movement. They have me worried. Will the flooring I picked out be a problem? The van has a metal floor with some foam ( like the blue stuff you use with Pergo but thicker) and I was going to have it installed on top of this. ( I'm not doing the install, someone else is) there's carpet there now but I don't want carpet.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and opinions

Karen
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Having had a small mh, I know only a couple of places showed wear, but changing out carpet is the easy part of your choice, I would look at the carpet you are taking out and see if there is any significant place of wear and you might be able to protect the new floor.
As far as movement you can control or at least solve the floating problem by making sure edges have room for expansion with trim covering the gap, but you are not going to have much in a small space. Metal floors in vans don't have the movement like the LY's.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote