Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #41
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Although I mentioned my dealer problem in passing in my last post, I didn't want to muddy up that post.

So, a new post. The dealer only acted on a number of warranty claims when told to by the factory. In replacing the rain gutter over a window, they didn't bother to install 2/3 of the rivets—just empty holes were left. They backed our Safari into the tongue of another trailer and put a hole in it. They fixed that, although they owe me some decal. There's a crease about 6" long in one side of the trailer.

Since we picked it up on a day it was pouring, I didn't notice the crease. About a week later, I did see it and when I was polishing the trailer a couple of days later, I discovered the missing rivets. I didn't tell the dealer about this because I was so angry. I can excuse one mistake, but this was too much. I did inform the factory of some of the problems.

This happened last summer. Still angry, but not as much, I e-mailed the dealer service dep't about these problems about 3 weeks ago. No response. Last week I followed up; no response. Now I will have to alert the dealer management about their service dept. I have no intention of getting anything else fixed there, especially since I am going to Jackson Center in May.

Others on this Forum complain about dealers. Some drive 1,000 or more miles to buy at one of the reputable dealers—there don't seem to be many good ones. Imagine how many sales are lost because Airstream doesn't have a good dealer network. If someone asks me about buying one, I'll tell them my experience. I will point out the other dealer in Colorado ignored us when we wan tried to talk to a salesman. The salesman we did talk to seemed to be willing to tell us any lie to sell a trailer. How many people will buy a new trailer when they have to drive 500 or 1,000 miles and then have to fight to get their warranty honored?

This also relates to QC. We drive Toyotas and few things ever break. If their dealers are awful it doesn't matter so much. But when a company's frontline representatives lie to you and their service dep't is run by people who damage your trailer or refuse to fix things that are warranteed, how many sales are lost?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
My fantasy is that for a new model year Airstream issues a press release that says what has changed for that year. I would settle for simple things like a decent 3 stage converter that wouldn't shorten the life of expensive AGMs. But I am confident that for 2010 the Parallax 7355 single stage converter will still be there.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have started year two on our '08 SS and don't have any warrantee issues. We do a lot of boondocking and travel a lot of gravel roads.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #44
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
The sad part is that they could clean up these problems for very little money if they wanted to.

The auto industry went through their own molting period some years back. In one case I know of, Ford assigned an engineer to cure noise problems they had so many complaints. One thing he found was that 2 parts of the dash panel rubbed together over bumps, causing a squeak. So he had them stick a little piece of cloth between the 2 pieces. This cured the problem for literally pennies. Next year they changed to a 1 piece dash panel which eliminated squeaks and was cheaper to make.

The whole thing was like this. Practically all the problems and complaints were eliminated at little or no cost and in some cases, the new parts were cheaper than the old ones.

Seriously. How much would it cost Airstream to inspect each trailer and make sure they had all the rivets put in, and each trailer was properly cleaned and not full of sawdust and trash? Because I guarantee the workers would not be pulling this stuff if they caught hell every time they tried it.

Most workers want to do a good job but one or 2 goons in every factory can ruin the reputation of 1000 honest hard working employees.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
No pride, even less supervision.

I found this while doing the Spring get ready prior to our second season. I wondered at the time if one worker might have been responsible for all the work on the roof. Not only was the sewer vent screwed up, half the screws missing, but the A/C shroud was cracked at all the mount holes.
Ditto both Fantastic Fans at the hinges,(replaced free by FF), boy that power screw driver works good. Enough sealer to sink Sulley's airliner. Plus they stepped in it, sneaker prints all over the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 011.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	75302  
Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #46
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
[deleted]

As customers I feel we need to send a message to Airstream. We love you guys. Don't let us down.

The bitterness of poor craftsmanship can be tasted long after the sweetness of a larger profit wears off.

It will be easier for me to rebuild my trailer than it will for Airstream to rebuild my opinion. Airstream made it. I made it better.
One thing to think about. my trailer has been in two major and one minor accident. I would have ended up purchasing as lest two replacement trailers.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ime-46232.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...one-27195.html

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #47
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
One thing to think about. my trailer has been in two major and one minor accident. I would have ended up purchasing as lest two replacement trailers.
Go on:

You would have purchased new trailers if:

You thought you would get a good one?

If your old one hadn't been so well made it survived?

You weren't in love with your Airstream?

I'm not sure if you are bragging or complaining, can you explain what you are driving at?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Person County , North Carolina
That sewer vent hack job looks just like the one on my 2005! I ended up re installing/sealing when I had to replace the skylight.

I think the factory instructions for installing the skylight are as follows: Tighten screw until you hear cracking sound....then tighten another 1/2 turn.

I replaced the skylight myself after purchasing the skylight and a "kit" from a local AS dealer. They've supposedly suggested this "kit fix" to the factory on several occasions to no avail.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
That sewer vent hack job looks just like the one on my 2005! I ended up re installing/sealing when I had to replace the skylight.

I think the factory instructions for installing the skylight are as follows: Tighten screw until you hear cracking sound....then tighten another 1/2 turn.

I replaced the skylight myself after purchasing the skylight and a "kit" from a local AS dealer. They've supposedly suggested this "kit fix" to the factory on several occasions to no avail.
Kev,

More info on that "kit fix" please. Most of the mount holes are cracked on mine also. When I did the vent repair I only did a temp on it.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
No pride, even less supervision.

I found this while doing the Spring get ready prior to our second season. I wondered at the time if one worker might have been responsible for all the work on the roof. Not only was the sewer vent screwed up, half the screws missing, but the A/C shroud was cracked at all the mount holes.
Ditto both Fantastic Fans at the hinges,(replaced free by FF), boy that power screw driver works good. Enough sealer to sink Sulley's airliner. Plus they stepped in it, sneaker prints all over the roof.
When we bought our 2004 Classic (built in April 2004 as I recall) it looked like someone had run into our air conditioner shroud with a forklift truck, the fins on the air conditioner were all crushed, and it looked for all the world like someone had carefully laid out the week's garbage in all the caulking that was put around the vents, skylights, etc.

Unfortunately, the pictures that I posted on the forums back then are no longer available, but here's a link to one of the comments related to the caulking I made in the 2004 quality thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...s-7106-23.html

The worst thing for people who are just now contemplating buying an Airestream is that some of the same incompetents who were there back when our trailers were built are still employed there as I understand it - bless their sad incompetent backsides.

I can still remember the telephone call that I received from Dave Schumann shortly after posting my my quality concerns on this forum, asking me to not post them here. --HA! HA!, Yea, right, Dave.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
The quality control issues discussed on this thread, and the corrosion issues discussed on the corrosion thread are precisely the reason why I looked for an older Airstream. Based on problems folks are having, I didn't even consider one newer than 1999, and certainly not a brand new one at full price.

One concern expressed on some of these threads is the number of people who might read of these problems, and elect to avoid Airstream altogether. To those folks, I say, Don't do it! Get an older one...many can be found in very good condition with little or no work required, other than the normal maintenance an Airstream owner is going to have to do anyway. So Get It and Go! They are designed for fun and pleasure. Perhaps one day soon Airstream or Alcoa will figure out the corrosion problems, and Airstream will get Quality Control back under control. In the meanwhile, there are a lot of gems out there looking for new homes!
IMHO ;-)
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

Berwyn , Alberta
Thanks to one and all!! This is a very telling thread. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I believe that it speaks to our changing society, as much as anything. We live in a 'throw away' society today and quality products of all kinds are in ever shorter supply. I've been skulking around in the shadows, reading every post that comes down the pipe, for almost two years now, trying to convince myself that I should sell my 30 year old SOB and buy an A/S. I'm not yet convinced! I tend to buy quality and hang onto it for a long time. I own shoes that are older than some of your coaches and my 1997 Infiniti is an automotive masterpiece - not a squeak or rattle after 200K miles. 'Jimmini' and 'Silvertwinkie' are right on the money and 'flyfisher' nailed it when he said that Newmar builds a high quality product. It has to do with the philosophy of the people who work there. Watch and learn THOR!!

Those of you who are maintaining and restoring older coaches are the reason that the legend lives on. I, personally don't buy into the legend, myth or cult that is A/S. I'm looking for quality and I don't see any better QA with A/S than with any other high end SOB. Sorry!!
RockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I'm with Steve. Renovating an old Airstream is the way to go (at least for us). We have the dramatic and stylish look of an Airstream. We have the mystique of a American icon. We'll have an interior and systems that represent the best options available. We'll have a floorplan suited for our exact needs. Perhaps most importantly, we'll have a community of Airstream owners (as represented by this forum). It's not going to be easy or cheap. Renovating a 40+ year old coach isn't for everyone, but I would like to think it's worth every cent.

We looked at a wide range of travel trailers and fifth wheels (including Newmar). I'm not sure it's something I can really explain. We were trying to fair and objective and rational, but on the inside of some monstrous fifth wheel complete with gas fireplace and 80s decor, my wife and I looked at one another and we knew exactly what we were thinking. "This" is not "us." Airstream is.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Lots of people telling others what to do, misery loves company. Except for the corrosion issue most of these problems should have been corrected by the selling dealer, mountains out of molehills. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Lots of people telling others what to do, misery loves company. Except for the corrosion issue most of these problems should have been corrected by the selling dealer, mountains out of molehills. jim

So, you think that Airstream should continue to intentionally build poor quality trailers and then make it the responsibility of dealers to correct the shoddy workmanship?

The factory drilled a hole clean through the floor in my trailer before it left the factory, then shipped it to my dealer who didn't even bother to tell me about it, although even a blind person could have "seen" it. Then Airstream told me that I would have to bring the trailer to the factory at my own expense to get it fixed -- apparently no dealer would undertake the repair. Misery loves company? I would never wish this misery on any company.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

Berwyn , Alberta
I can understand your anger 'flyfisher' and it is that exact issue ( dealer confidence ) that makes it so hard for me to become a believer. I truly am trying to believe, but it is difficult.

Here in Alberta there are only two dealers that I'm aware of and the one in Edmonton sells A/S as one of five lines that he carries. I don't believe that he repairs them at all and judging from the size of the dealership, I doubt that he stocks (m)any parts. If I need to fix our SOB, parts are readily available from more than one source and most parts are generic in nature.

Maybe I'll just keep reading and see if I have an ephipany.
RockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #57
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Unhappy Q/C if any

i kind have to agree with Rockstar but i also agree with everyone else as well.
I like my A/S very much but after i bought it and started working on it i was very disappointed.
yes my trailer is 19 years old but that means all the wood and aluminum shavings have been in my trailer for 19 years as well.
whats bad is that i have a lot of the same problems that some of the people on here with trailers built here in the last few years (3-5) are having.
so this tells me that ether once you have a job at the A/S factory you have your job until you die no matter how bad you preform your job, Or this is the way A/S is training there new employee's on how to manufacture there product ether way its sad.
I would like to have a newer and a little bit smaller A/S but its almost to the point were i would rather by a new truck and completely gut my trailer, and fix it up how i want it that way if something goes wrong aim to blame.

what about A/S employee's? are there any on here that could give us some insight on the company and its inner workings?
is it management at any level that's to blame for No Q/C or is it the assembly workers not heaving enough pride in the product they build or the guts to say something to there Foreman or manager?
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I believe that it speaks to our changing society, as much as anything. We live in a 'throw away' society today and quality products of all kinds are in ever shorter supply. I've been skulking around in the shadows, reading every post that comes down the pipe, for almost two years now, trying to convince myself that I should sell my 30 year old SOB and buy an A/S. I'm not yet convinced!

I do not want to own a disposable trailer...
Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post

Hey everybody I think one of the Airstream Factory reps are reading these posts... Hey Zigzag - no offense, but put the blunt down and pay attention to what the masses are saying. This is a mountain.

We are the ones towing Airstream's reputation around the country. People (buyers) pay more attention to an Airstream owner, than an Airstream salesman.
Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #60
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
are you sure they know how to read?
most rep's i have ever met seem like over paid twits
that care more about there pay check then the customers
which tells me they have forgotten were there paycheck comes from.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, mold, repair, rot