Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #71
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Interstate is pretty cool ride, but totally different beast than the trailers.....the factory simply installs components and kits, with only some custom work, whereas the trailer, they build from the ground up. Yes they don't make everything, but significantly more than what is found on an Interstate. To compare the Interstate to the trailer line is an apples to oranges comparison.

In addition, many of the components and point of assembly of the Interstate/Sprinter chassis are a combo of parts between then Daimler/Chrysler/Freightliner depending on the model year. The Interstate based off the Sprinter chassis from what I understand is not a 100% Mercedes chassis with 100% Mercedes parts, again, depending on where assembled and what model year.

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #72
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Lots of people telling others what to do, misery loves company. Except for the corrosion issue most of these problems should have been corrected by the selling dealer, mountains out of molehills. jim
Jim,

What year is your coach?

My money, my mountain, your molehill.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #73
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
This may not be the place to say it but frankly there are a lot better built trailers than Airstream and always were.

Avion, Streamline, Silver Streak, Boles Aero, and Holiday Rambler just to name a few.

But Airstream and Holiday Rambler seem to be the only ones still in business. Which proves that making a better product is not necessarily the way to make money.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
Hey everybody I think one of the Airstream Factory reps are reading these posts...
Some threads are being read back in JC. I know because I was told so by someone who knows.

It seems this thread has opened the floodgates of anger. There's several hundred thousands of dollars worth of new Airstreams never to be sold judging by the reactions of just those who have posted in the last few days. Since a lot more people read these threads than post on them, maybe a million dollars lost to the company, or, maybe a lot more. It will take a long time to turn this around.

Gene
Old 02-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Gene,
As I said earlier,

"As customers I feel we need to send a message to Airstream. We love you guys. Don't let us down". The sentiment others are posting is, as I interpet it, we are all interested in Airstream's continued success. We want to see them build a quality product and prospher as a result. Am I right people?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Gene,
As I said earlier,

"As customers I feel we need to send a message to Airstream. We love you guys. Don't let us down". The sentiment others are posting is, as I interpet it, we are all interested in Airstream's continued success. We want to see them build a quality product and prospher as a result. Am I right people?
DITTO...Now how do we get the word to the powers that be???

When we got our '06 I was very pleased with the fit and finish. It sounds like I may be one of the few. Where I got disappointed was when I started getting into the nooks and crannies and saw all the construction detritus. I felt like a lot of others...I paid a ton of money for this coach and the least they could have done was clean up after themselves.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
As the originator of this thread I would like to ask anybody else posting on it to keep the message positive. Anything else is just bitching and that does no good.

If you fight evil with evil only evil can win.

I am proud of my Airstream and what I have been able to do with it. I look forward to many miles of family fun in our aluminium palace.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I would like to know this.
1. The name of the company that fabricates the frames used in all Airstream trailers and, how long have they been used as a source for this.
2. Where they get the specification for the frame's metal, the welding rod material used and, the specification for the type of paint used to paint the frame. I have heard that it's a water based paint, if that's the case, what justification is cited for this?
3. Freedom of information related to any and all research work (covering the last 20 years) issues that may have been raised by customers and, studies done related to a search for a floor replacement material other than what has been used for the last 20 yrs.
I am sure that others may have a valid point or two for this list from "concerned owners".
At some point, I would then suggest that the list be "registered" as public information and, a demand for improvement be present to the executive management at Thor, Inc.
BTW, I have personal knowledge that it's no secret: The forum pages have been read and read (for years now) by the "Factory Reps" from Airstream. I don't mean to imply that this is bad, either~
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #79
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Gene,
Am I right people?
You bet.....

But it's hard being positive on such a negative subject.

I'm sorry, for the $ PAID I think we all have the right/obligation to demand more.

Is it the buyers fault the Mother-ship is Lost In Space?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
As the originator of this thread I would like to ask anybody else posting on it to keep the message positive. Anything else is just bitching and that does no good.

If you fight evil with evil only evil can win.

I am proud of my Airstream and what I have been able to do with it. I look forward to many miles of family fun in our aluminium palace.
I'm also so proud to have purchased my Airstream, fresh from the factory with almost no grease in the wheel bearings. And just because the company refused to acknowledge this was anything to be concerned with should not be a reason for being anything but positive. After all, another forum member with a similar issue told me to check my wheels bearings before my first trip, and it's not like my wife or I were killed as a result of towing our Airstream with no grease in the wheel bearings.

However, if spreading the truth about Airstream is viewed as fighting evil with evil, then I plead guilty.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Well said, Robert Cross... No, it is not the buyers fault.

I just don't want to tear at the fabric of Airstream. I'd like to help repair the torn seam. The only way I/we can do that, is to provide feedback as to our experience. The better experience we all have with our trailers, the better experience AS will have selling them. Plain and simple.

The way to ensure customer satisfaction is to ensure your product is made to the highest quality possible. My question to Airstream executives and employees alike is; are you doing that? Are you ensuring the product you are making is made the best it can be?

"Never let it rest until your good becomes better and your better becomes your best and your best becomes better than all the rest." - Pepsi
Old 02-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
My Interstate is an 05 on an 04 chassis. All Sprinters are MBs, some are badged differently and some have mods that make them a class C. Ther is also a class A Sprinter to be available soon. Do not know the branding. jim I also own an05 Bambi with worms!! jim
Old 02-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #83

Cobourg , Ontario
In a POSITIVE light, it is worth pointing out that everyone posting here (including me) is an Airstream fan and present or potential Airstream customer.

How are you supposed to feel when someone you love and respect does something bad or stupid?

It's like the saying, "my country right or wrong". Of course it is. You might as well say "my mother drunk or sober" or "my Airstream good or bad".
Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #84

Cobourg , Ontario
On the cleanup question. Years ago I worked for a home builder. My job was to do the final cleaning of new homes last thing before the buyer took delivery.

This was for a very demanding, Felix Unger type boss. He insisted there be NO footprints on the freshly vacuumed carpets, NO water spots on the kitchen linoleum (it had to be wiped down by hand, on your hands and knees) ALL windows sparkling.

It took about half a day for one person to clean a 3 bedroom 2 bath split level house including cleaning the sawdust and McDonalds wrappers out of the heat ducts.

It should be possible to do the same job in an Airstream in under an hour. So why do they come off the line like the inside of a vacuum cleaner bag? This is not a costly or difficult thing to remedy yet it is something that seems to rub people the wrong way and stick in their craws for a long time.

It comes back to what I was saying before, how some of the quality control issues that bother the customer most are ridiculously easy and cheap to fix.

Tags
floor, mold, repair, rot