Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Cool Adventure Floor Time or How to Defeat the buyers moisture detector.

Floor Rot Surprise! Hozah!

Well, we tested the floor with a moisture detector and got zero results. The floor was just a little "flexy' under the table, but I thought to myself, "Probably just a trailer floor."

So how do you hide the fact that the floor is gone to crap? You cover it up with a big sheet of metal, then put down new laminate and make up a lie about the new laminate and hope the new owner is none the wiser.

Photographic evidence of todays discovery.

So I'm glad I decided to start pulling this up today. There was a very serious level of moisture trapped under all this.

The wood in this corner is soaked, and I mean SOAKED, I am not sure an epoxy or GIT-ROT is going to work on this. A matter of fact, you can see where I had an accident. While leaning on the floor to remove the seat, my hand went right thru it.

You can see pretty well the direction I think the water and moisture has been traveling. Worse, under neath the new" laminate was additional pooling moisture. Glad I got it today. The floor towards the back seems all solid and good, checked bathroom floor as well.

Given my notes and the evidence here, I think this was done on purpose to conceal the issue. Kind of mad about that in reality. What do you think? Could this really be someone's half a$$'d fix?

Anyhow, I'll probably contact the guy I bought it from and chew him out for lying, flat out saying there is "NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS TRAILER". But it is what it is. I also don't understand how my inspector missed this, except that I made a rookie mistake and agreed to use the sellers "recommended RV Dealer"

------

As far as the Airstream goes, I am going to keep her and restore her. This is "our" trailer. I am the 3rd owner, the guy who I just bought it from had it only since Jan. And I managed to contact the original owner, who was a WBCCI member. Wonderful, wonderful gentlemen whom my wife and I plan on visiting to hear more stories of his travels. He bought the Airstream originally and told us he's taken it everywhere.

To quote him:
Quote:
The trailer has been to every state and province of Canada except
the NW Territory, Newfoundland and Labrador. It has been to Alaska twice,
once on the top of the world highway from Dawson City, Yukon Territory
to Chicken, AK.
Yeah, I just love the history of this. I love that it's already been all the places we want to go. So I don't have buyer remorse here. Kind of hard to explain, but we knew this was "our" Airstream, good and bad.

I just wish the bad was told to me than hidden.

So starting this thread as I work thru this process of replacing the damaged floor and tracking down the source of the leak.

Since I have a 2007 and my forum search seems to point to checking the seal where the bumper makes contact at the rear under the belt line first.

Well, I'll keep smiling.

Certainly glad I paid extra for a covered storage unit now.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
So sorry to see this happen to you. I too am no stranger to PO surprises. You can knock out this fix in no time just roll up your sleeves and get to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
Great attitude and a big surprise. When you complete the project you will know it is done the way you want it and move forward. Good luck and many happy miles.
2007 Ram 2500
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I'm not even going to really bother calling the PO owner. Just venting in the thread. Thanks guys.

Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the Couch/Glaucho thing? I started looking for screws, but unsure where they all are. Going to need to remove it next.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up Floor Rot 2007 International Signature 27FB

So I spent a lot of time reviewing a number of threads on the leak issue, which seems to be common on 2007 Internationals & Safari's.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...eak-56099.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...e-56674-7.html

The floor has dried out, but going to leave fans on it for another day or so. From the looks of it, the edges near the wall seams are all still pretty hard, but right in the middle of the dinette area, it's completely shot. But looks like this might be an easy fix. I can tell that someone first tried fixing this with floor leveling putty. Unsuccessfully. Probably before putting the metal over it.

I think I might have to replace in front of the door as well.

Once I remove the floor sections that are damaged, I'm going to repair and salvage the areas I can and then replace what needs replacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dried_2014-08-31-15.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	220357   Click image for larger version

Name:	dried_2014-08-31.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	220358  

Old 08-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Sorry to hear of your problem. Kinda have to wonder if that much damage could occur in 8 months. I think you're on the right track with the rear bumper thread. There is another thread on here about disassembling and sealing the bumper area as well. Step by step pictures and explanations. Good luck with your repair. Now I'll have to check my moisture meter. I'm surprised that aluminum didn't register on yours. I thought they measured resistance.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Welcome and hats off to you! A newer model and that much damage I would be at war with someone because that is going to be a lot of work! Take a lot of csi type pictures for reference purposes and post some of them but most important take your time! Just my opinion.
Cliff
Old 08-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
That's a real bummer, man. Really.
The Gaucho will come out fairly easily. Just look for the screws attaching it to the floor and walls. You'll have to remove the lower interior skins and belly pan/rear banana wraps to properly fasten the new sub floor to the frame and shell. You'll get a chance to seal the rub rail and re do the bumper trunk plate that is probably the source of the leak. Luckily, you don't have holding tanks under there so it will be a pretty easy floor replacement. Good luck!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Admittedly I probably could of spotted this at the sale if I just spent the extra time not ignoring the nagging voice that said "why does the floor give here". But I decided to just ignore it. I'm pretty handy and used to working on older cars and things. And since it doesn't need a full shell off floor replacement, I'm not cursing the heavens or anything, lol. Everything will work out I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Kinda have to wonder if that much damage could occur in 8 months.
I can't imagine that covering it with metal helped any and probably exasperated the issue further based on the moisture level I found and rate of deterioration. According to the one thread I posted, the leak at the rear bumper can go unnoticed for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Welcome and hats off to you! A newer model and that much damage I would be at war with someone because that is going to be a lot of work! Take a lot of csi type pictures for reference purposes and post some of them but most important take your time! Just my opinion.
Cliff
I'll be documenting everything, and taking lots of pictures. Taking my time with this and doing a lot of reading around here.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The rear structural connection is the most important area. The floor away from the edges can be replaced pretty easily. I bet the original owner put that plate in. The rear bumper plate is a major leak area for the last 40 years. There are a few trailers of your era that the factory forgot to seal it at all. I have not put floor covering down because I am afraid of leaks that go under the floor covering and go unnoticed. It is best to leaver areas covered by cabinets bare so you can check for water and the floor can dry out if there is a leak. It is common practice to put the flooring down first then put the interior in. This saves time but it kills floors. I would pull the outside bump rail trim and see if there is even any caulk in that rear joint. Consider getting rid of the plate at the back.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am so sorry that someone would intentionally be so deceitful, because it is pretty clear that this was an intentional intent to defraud the buyer. I realize that "caveat emptor" prevails, but I would sure like to look at the PO in the eye and watch them squirm. Whatever happened to honor?
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I'm a victim of the same floor rot in my 2006 Safari FB and about to see what the floor looks like. The problem isn't the fault of the PO but for Airstream who built defective trailers that didn't show the leak problem til a few years after the warranty expired. I noticed a soft spot in the middle of the entrance area a year ago that was a sickening crunchy sound back in February. It's amazing how quickly this problem had spread toward the kitchen. I'll be posting pics soon of the repair.
The shame is that the PO in your case put a band aide on it and covered it up to sell.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Bold I also was like you and didn't want to count that first soft spot as a problem that would invade the trailer so quickly. I told myself that this trailer still is very new and I never saw a leak or wet spot on the floor. I just thought it was a design thing the way the floor felt. Oh well. Now I'm looking for replacement vinyl to match the back end.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I'm going to go back out to my unit this weekend and do some more work on her.

Yeah, I got that from the initial research and reading. Seems our years got hit the worst with the lack of sealing behind the rear bumper area.

I had read this earlier on and that's why I was originally looking at 2010-2012 models.

But I'm also glad I didn't pay 50K and have this problem.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
What a terrible surprise. I hope you don't beat yourself up for missing this during inspection. I don't think many of us would have seen this.

Maybe this is a perfect opportunity for some kind of really cool mod. I'm thinking of a hidden floor safe!

Good luck and keep smiling.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
Yea I'm going to have to replace the back 4 or 5 feet of floor this winter, the result of a leak by the door a couple of years ago I think... Complaining ain't gonna get it fixed so I guess I'll look at it that it is a lot cheaper than a new Classic and I get FREE winter storage in JC. Countrysong
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Mhem it is what it is. Not beating myself up. I've got some mods and ideas planned.

Currently lots of research and reading on this forum.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
why does the floor give here
Don't beat yourself up on the floor give. I have been in brand new show units where the floor moved underfoot. Mine has a few spots that give too. One of them I got to see when I tore the rear carpet out- nothing wrong but just a give spot. It is hard to tell. As far as the metal goes, perhaps the idea was to reinforce the floor and treat is as "fixed" as some do. Obviously it is crap and I join others in saying sorry it happened. Your last statement of glad you did not pay 50K is dead on for there are some who have!

Was it then mostly bumper sealing or window leakage?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Feel Your Pain

Sorry to hear about your floor, but I am in the exact same spot with our 2008 28' CCD jus purchased in July...
We took our first trip to JC and had them assess. Rear floor rot with no diagnosis on specific area of the leak as of yet. I am planning on having them do the fix. Not cheap.
I do know that Airstream was shut down during the 2008 market crash and the employees dropped what they had in their hands and left. This would have been the time period of my build. This makes me wonder about some quality control issues during that time period. Just saying...
Good luck with your floor and maybe I'll see you streaming someday!
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I don't know if it's bumper or window. Here is where I am at today. Debating if I want to tackle this myself or take it somewhere.

I don't think there is anyone in my area. And have a feeling all the certified repair places are hundreds of miles away.

If anyone knows of a person or place that could tackle this, or help me even within the Tampa or central Florida area. Please send them my way. I'll even consider south and north Florida.

But I just don't have the ability to haul it off to Dallas or even Jackson Center as I work a fulltime job still.

I'm pretty handy, but I am nervous about getting in over my head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-13-14.52.19.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	221680   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-13-14.52.24.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	221681