Old 09-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
What a terrible surprise. I hope you don't beat yourself up for missing this during inspection. I don't think many of us would have seen this.

Maybe this is a perfect opportunity for some kind of really cool mod. I'm thinking of a hidden floor safe!

Good luck and keep smiling.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
Yea I'm going to have to replace the back 4 or 5 feet of floor this winter, the result of a leak by the door a couple of years ago I think... Complaining ain't gonna get it fixed so I guess I'll look at it that it is a lot cheaper than a new Classic and I get FREE winter storage in JC. Countrysong

Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Mhem it is what it is. Not beating myself up. I've got some mods and ideas planned.

Currently lots of research and reading on this forum.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
why does the floor give here
Don't beat yourself up on the floor give. I have been in brand new show units where the floor moved underfoot. Mine has a few spots that give too. One of them I got to see when I tore the rear carpet out- nothing wrong but just a give spot. It is hard to tell. As far as the metal goes, perhaps the idea was to reinforce the floor and treat is as "fixed" as some do. Obviously it is crap and I join others in saying sorry it happened. Your last statement of glad you did not pay 50K is dead on for there are some who have!

Was it then mostly bumper sealing or window leakage?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Feel Your Pain

Sorry to hear about your floor, but I am in the exact same spot with our 2008 28' CCD jus purchased in July...
We took our first trip to JC and had them assess. Rear floor rot with no diagnosis on specific area of the leak as of yet. I am planning on having them do the fix. Not cheap.
I do know that Airstream was shut down during the 2008 market crash and the employees dropped what they had in their hands and left. This would have been the time period of my build. This makes me wonder about some quality control issues during that time period. Just saying...
Good luck with your floor and maybe I'll see you streaming someday!
Old 09-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I don't know if it's bumper or window. Here is where I am at today. Debating if I want to tackle this myself or take it somewhere.

I don't think there is anyone in my area. And have a feeling all the certified repair places are hundreds of miles away.

If anyone knows of a person or place that could tackle this, or help me even within the Tampa or central Florida area. Please send them my way. I'll even consider south and north Florida.

But I just don't have the ability to haul it off to Dallas or even Jackson Center as I work a fulltime job still.

I'm pretty handy, but I am nervous about getting in over my head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-13-14.52.19.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	221680   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-13-14.52.24.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	221681  

Old 09-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I think the first thing I am going to do though is get to sealing the outside of the Airstream.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Before you and someone takes out the plywood try to trace the source (s) of the leakage on it. Usually it's at the rear bumper plate where it meets the shell and you will have to remove the exterior trim pieces there to seal it, I believe.

An additional source is often where the lower awning brackets are riveted/screwed to the shell, all six of them in your case. Another is the channel under all the operating windows, water can leak in there or condense on the window and run down. The seal around the pano windows can leak as the thin sealant degrades in the sun.

The point is there may be several sources of leaks. Find them, get someone who really knows what they are doing (experience) to fix this floor, and monitor the floor for future leaks regularly as part of a maintenance plan with a moisture detection meter that can probe through the vinyl flooring into the plywood subfloor.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #23
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
While the following thread is for a motorhome, the skills, materials used and technics can be transfered to a trailer. Also be careful, as I stated in the thread I found plywood appearing to be solid only once the Fein saw cut through the first 1/16 th of an inch or so it was rotten and wet.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...me-106269.html

I can't stress this enough about using a proper flooring replacement. I used Coosa board which is 40% lighter than the equivalent plywood, easy to machine, will not ever rot, mildew or promote the growth of fungus. If you want peace of mind, use Coosa. You will get back the investment of the Coosa if you decide to sell the trailer.

Goodluck
Cheers
Tony
Old 09-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That Coosa stuff might be a good idea. They make in Birmingham just down the road from me.

Perry
Old 09-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #25
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
That Coosa stuff might be a good idea. They make in Birmingham just down the road from me.

Perry
Perry,
If I were you I'd get Coosa to do a run of 5/8th board and promote it on this site for sale or at least talk to Coosa to do a run of 5/8 and stock it. If you could drop in on Coosa and show them the problems that people are having with their Airstream sub floors, maybe they would think about promoting their product on this site.
HECK I think Coosa should be made an option at the factory....no I take that back....Coosa should be the floor that Airstreams are made of, PERIOD!!!! For $50,000+++ and you're getting OSB board?????SERIOUSLY????

Most Marina's stock only 1/2 or 3/4 board. Seriously, it is fantastic stuff to work with and I have no worries for leaks or mild.

Cheers
Tony
Old 09-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I've helped do a deck with that stuff. It shapes very easily. But then I'd want to do the whole trailer floor with it. Wonder how much weight reduction that would be? yeah.. then I'd really be way in over my head. And I wouldn't be full-timing. I've got till Jan to square this Airstream away.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #27
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Well I brought the Airstream home over the weekend to tinker with things. And decided to wash her this morning with my pressure washer. We found the leak. And spent a good time testing problem areas that others have mentioned.

The annoying factor is that it was suppose to be sunny today and now in typical Florida fashion it is heavily down pouring and yeah, it's that rear belt line, and holy cow, it fills up!

As soon as it lets up, I'm running her back to the storage unit. And getting the sealant kit from Airstream. And then I'm going to give JD Sanders a phone call. They're in North Florida, and are the only certified Airstream service dealer. Going to call about their work for the floor. They can also do Sealtech RV Leak Detector which I think it probably worth the cash.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstreams are built with plywood not OSB floors, but the flooring material is not the problem. The problem is water leaks, which must be checked on a regular basis and repaired when needed to prevent floor problems.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote