Old 02-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Additional Support before removing plywood rear bath?

I am hoping I someone could keep me out of trouble. I am about to cut out the floor in the rear bathroom of my 1973 TW. Can I just go about my business and remove it or do I need to provide support to the rear end in some way?

I have read many posts but I am still a little confused about adding addition support to correct or improve the strength of the rear end connection. Do I just weld on some angle iron to existing cross member below c channel? Or?

I was very pleased with the shape of the frame and worried about the rear end.

Thanks for your help

Tony S
Rogue River, Oregon

Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
You can just cut out the wood and remove it. Unless the frame is seriously compromised, nothing will happen. If you replace the wood and correctly fasten it to the frame and the shell, you will have a box and it will be plenty strong. Where this design falls down is that it depends on the plywood as the joining medium between the frame and shell and when the wood rots, the box structure and stiffness is gone.

Here is a thread with my progress on replacing the floor in my 73 Overlander:

Ongoing adventures at:
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks I have been following your thread with interest. To see the battery box removed was informative. It is amazing how these units rot out in the same places.

Yours seems to be bit more advanced and more of a challenge.

I have gone to a thread and thought there damage was mine. I had to take a double take. l

I also was glad to see how your dump values is set up. I am going to move mine to the side.

Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote