Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
1965 26' Overlander
Lizton , Indiana
Question Added Support For Frame Rear End

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting after months of viewing. I am in the beginning stages of a 26' 1965 Overlader restore. I am have the shell braced and suspended about few inches above the frame. Last week my friend came over and we fixed the frame in the rear end where the black tank is and we added 1/8 inch straps between the outriggers to attach the outer skin. The step were completly shot so we added new outriggers that will be used to house new steps (Elkhart Tool and Die Hide-A-Step #424).

I thought I was finished with the frame until I was walking around on the back and my firend noticed how much the frame moved. I onlyweigh 145 and the frame was moving cosiderable. I also noticed that the frame had given (sagged) an buckeled slightly at ther last section near the grey water tank.

I am considering adding additional channel or tubular steel reinforcement along the inside of the main 5" C channel frame members. I have apprx. 6.5 feet of frame overhanging from the rear axle. I was thinking about adding 12 feet of C channel to the main frame on the inside. This will go allthe way to the front of the first axle. In order to do this I was would have to cut out a portion of the cross member's side to allow the C channel or tubular steel to pass on the side of the main frame rails. Then I would level the entire frame and jack up the rear end slighlty above level and weld in the C channel support.

Please let tme know what is the best way to add additional support for the rear end.

Thank you,

I have tried to attach some pictures of the frame repair ( not that relevent to question but fun to look at).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrameDescr.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	44479   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewStepSupport.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	448.2 KB
ID:	44480  

Click image for larger version

Name:	NewStepSupport2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	44481  

tisaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
wow - on my '73 Overlander they used spray adhesive to tack the fiberglass up, removed the liners and insulation and have no fun looking at the ugly pink and yellow glass fuzz instead of that clean & bright aluminum... nice project!

Remember the shells 'monoque' construction is meant to hold up the frame to a certain degree - getting frame overly stiff can insert trouble over time by distorting the floor channel or shearing rivets when the non-reinforced frame sections still have the original 'bounce' to them amplified by wear and tear & rust, and the shell having relaxed over 40 years still wanting to move... I hope that communicates my understanding of vintage frames!

I don't think you need to reinforce more that half your spanned 6 1/2 foot length - just to pick up along trailing axle plate section and tack in some .100 or .125 plate in center of frame rail, 3" wide or so, just to snub flex out of the rusted or 'relaxed' metal channel?

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
1965 26' Overlander
Lizton , Indiana
Thanks Wabbiteer.

The shell is in good condition other than a few dings here and there. I had read about the shell adding additional support on some of the tail sag posts. It would be a lot easier to add plate steel in the trouble areas. This is my first camper and the tail sag postings started to worry me. Thanks for the info. -Todd
tisaacs is offline   Reply With Quote