Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Mornin' Top. I've been reading thru your thread and remembering my trip down this road. You're doing a fabulous job, keep it up!

I think I have one of those cutting boards out in the garage someplace (and lots of other stuff, as well). We don't intend to use it. It's yours if you want it.

Jim
Thanks very much Jim. I would love to have the cutting board if you aren't using it!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #296
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Your bathroom components look really good. I think the painter done a great job!

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #297
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Thanks JS, For what it cost, $579, it should look like new. I think they look pretty good. Unfortunately, under the new paint is old plastic. This stuff is a PITA to rivet back into place. I should be able to wash my hands in the sink and flush the toilet by tomorrow evening.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #298
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I should be able to wash my hands in the sink and flush the toilet by tomorrow evening.
Lance that will be much better than the other way around. It will certainly involve a lot less kneeling.

Seriously though they do look great and so does the A/C cover. Your cover is different than mine. It is one piece and mine is a two piece unit. I would suggest a screen set up like I did to keep the debris out. Mine was chock full of crap when I took off the original one.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #299
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Tedious work

Thanks Chris. I plan on using some kind of screen over the fan. Just haven't figured out what exactly.

Today I got a fairly early start. Then I had to pick up my daughter from a sleep over and take her to Guitar Center to get some new strings for her guitar. I also made a trip to Lowe's for some more flexible hose from the city water inlet to the pex plumbing. There was too much interference with the routing of the hoses. The under sink cabinet would not fit properly. It took a bunch of sweating, cussing and grunting, but I did manage to get the whole bath surround installed and plumbed. The sink works!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110529_150024.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	131034

I have most of the trim installed in the bath. I sealed the joints with Trempro 644 white silicone RTV. I then sealed the top of the trim piece with the same RTV after it was installed. I attempted to install the white insert that goes into the trim extrusion. I lubed it with some soapy water and pushed it in as far as I could. I could only get about two feet to go in before it stopped sliding. I jacked around with it for about an hour or so, pushing, pulling, cussing and grunting to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It isn't going to stop me from finishing this, but I'd eventually like to have the proper trim insert installed.

I know I thought I'd have the toilet installed, but I am missing one of the flange bolts. I should have checked to see that I had all the proper parts before leaving for Lowe's. It is one of those maintenance management "P"s I preach to Soldiers about.
P4T4
Problem
People
Parts
Plan
Tools
Time
Training
T
echnology

I should get a bunch of things done tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_20110529_200259.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	131039

Old 05-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #300
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Awesome work....Can't wait to see her next weekend.

Steve
Old 05-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #301
x

XXXX , XXXX
Lance That looks fantastic. Better than a new A/S.
For the A/C I had a local window and door company make up a window screen, painted it silver and attached it to the shroud with stainless screws. That way it is easily removable for servicing and cleaning if needed.
A couple of suggestions for the trim. What if you lubed the extrusion instead of the trim? Also can you place the bottom of the trim in the extrusion and then flex the trim and use a hook tool to get the top of the trim to go into the extrusion?

You're almost done. I bet by next weekend Abby is ready for the road.
P.S. I painted my tambour doors with Krylon white spray paint that I got from Wally Mart. It worked great and looks like new. I know it's a little late now seeing that you've already installed yours but just an idea.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #302
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Major maintenance

Thanks Steve and Chris.
I lubed the trim and the insert. Just wasn't going to go in. It can wait. Thanks for the tip. I'll try some other ways like the hook slider.
I should be ready for the road by Wednesday. I'll take her out for a test drive and make sure everything is working and get the cob webs shook off, so to speak! We will be going on our first camping trip since January next weekend! We're going to the First Annual Central Texas AirForums Rally in San Marcos. Can't wait. It has been a long time and a LOT of work. When I look at a picture like this from January, I know that I have really done something. I have never worked so hard on any project before. Keep in mind I have been in aircraft maintenance for 22 years now and have taken aircraft and their sub systems down to the basics, rebuilt/repaired/reassembled them and gone for the post maintenance test flight. Rebuilding an Airstream is really challenging and rewarding! I couldn't have done what I have done in five months without this forum and the help of its wonderful members like you reading this right now.

Name:	DSC_0087.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	131057

Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #303
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Lookin' very good, Top! Congrats on the second running water pic.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #304
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Thanks Steve! This evening there will be a flushing water pic!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #305
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Man!!! You just gotta LOVE them floors. Up against the fixtures that is really unique lookin'! Love it, man, love it!.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #306
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Top,

Will the trim I sent you with for the floor end up working?

Steve
Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #307
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Thanks Steve and Chris.
I lubed the trim and the insert. Just wasn't going to go in. It can wait. Thanks for the tip. I'll try some other ways like the hook slider.
I should be ready for the road by Wednesday. I'll take her out for a test drive and make sure everything is working and get the cob webs shook off, so to speak! We will be going on our first camping trip since January next weekend! We're going to the First Annual Central Texas AirForums Rally in San Marcos. Can't wait. It has been a long time and a LOT of work. When I look at a picture like this from January, I know that I have really done something. I have never worked so hard on any project before. Keep in mind I have been in aircraft maintenance for 22 years now and have taken aircraft and their sub systems down to the basics, rebuilt/repaired/reassembled them and gone for the post maintenance test flight. Rebuilding an Airstream is really challenging and rewarding! I couldn't have done what I have done in five months without this forum and the help of its wonderful members like you reading this right now.
Attachment 131057
Lookin good! Funny how long ago January feels. I still look at my inspection pics and trip on how far I have come. But I really try not to think about how far I have left to go, yikes!!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #308

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Hey Top-

I figured you would be grillin' today! I was firing up the wood fire pit and thought of ya...

ribs and brisket today...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Big-o-grill.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	131098  

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1972 ambassador, 29', rear end separation, floor repair