Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
new and loving it!

1978 28' Ambassador
sycamore , Illinois
A huge thank you

My friend and I purchased a 1978 28foot Ambassador and Have started the process of "gutting it" We have all the interior out and rusty orange carpet. We saw wet spots in the subfloor and have pulled the subfloor and insulation out in the rear. We found the black tank and gray tank and dropped those. We then came to the fresh water tank and that is full of water and completely broken, huge circle looks to have been cut right into it! Our frame is in amazing shape and believe it or not still have many pieces that are black! We ordered our POR15 new Aluminum sheets to replace the belly and a new water tank. Ripped out all the plumbing and are starting over one section at a time. I guess I'm just using this to document for our own benefit.
However, I want to thank everyone on this forum. I have read and read and read and I have learned so much and am grateful and full of respect for everyones knowledge, and commitment. I hope we can do as amazing as everyone else has! I am absolutely loving the learning and working process on this airstream. We are only able to work on it about 2 hours in the evenings and have got this far in 7 days. We keep saying if we are going to do it we are going to do it right and that is my huge thank you to everyone on this forum. Without all of you we wouldn't have a clue.
gina
gina529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, bring your redone rig to the Moraine View Rally near Leroy, iL, next June and show it off.

Or, if it is ready to roll by October, see the Fall Paddle Party, also at Moraine View State Park.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 07-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
new and loving it!

1978 28' Ambassador
sycamore , Illinois
Hi Maggie,
That's a deal! October not likely! Lol
Old 07-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Great! I will look for you.

Watch the rally page about mid-December, so you can get a reservation at the park, then the rest of the rally information will be in a thread in the Spring.

We like pictures here, so don't hesitate to post some as you go.

Maggie
Old 07-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
new and loving it!

1978 28' Ambassador
sycamore , Illinois
Will do! Thank you for the info. We look forward to going!
Old 08-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
Welcome u r spot on re this forum. U r taking on a big job. It has taken us 9 months just to replace the floors walls and kitchen. Took out oven put in 2 burner stove, got rid of table &benches replaced with microwave and lots of storage cabs. New wood counter tops and U shaped seating at front.
07007 is offline   Reply With Quote