Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
A heartbreaking first start: '69 Safari

I have my first airstream and I should be ecstatic about it but, before I even stepped foot inside, it was resold out from under me, admittedly.

My Mom and Stepdad looked at it twice on my behalf as, I was living in Brooklyn and it was close to their home in San Antonio, where I was going to relocate for the summer so I could finally build out my dream of a mobile fashion truck (I had been dreaming of this for the last 4 years of my life...and saving for it).

I texted and spoke with the seller, my stepdad even new her from years ago as, her daughter use to be one of my stepdad's tenants. She was very friendly and all that jazz. I flew in from NY for a week to go with my Grandpa to pick up the airstream and she informed me she would be out of town for a week for her daughters wedding and that we should NOT go by the house because there were a lot of break-ins recently and the neighbors would call the cops if any suspicious behavior were to occur. (I should have seen the red flag...she had already re-sold it).

I wished her congratulations on a wedding and said, I had to fly back to Brooklyn (deflated) and that my Mom and Grandpa would come the following Saturday to pick it if that was ok? She said yes.

So, long story short, she kept putting us off after a month of back and forth and my Mom finally felt something was wrong so, they went to the property and the airstream was gone, sold. No one was home so, my Mom sent upset text messages to which the woman finally DID reply and admit she resold it and blamed me saying she "begged me" over the phone to come pick it up which was all an utter lie. (We are now trying to sue her in court..it's considered a "civil matter" which we all know means probably nothing will happen).

I still did not know about all this and booked another ticket home to finally come see my airstream and start working on it. I was so excited! My Mom told me it was finally on her property. I came home and ran to the backyard to look at it. It didn't look like the pictures...actually it looked way worse. I was confused. Where are all the windows? Where's the green shag carpet? My Mom had a confession and told me what happened.

I was so enraged, not only that someone had stolen from us and lied (not the first time) but, that my poor Mother did not want to disappoint me and scrambled with only one week before my arrival home to find on Craigslist ANOTHER airstream to take it's place. She found one in Austin for double the price (mind you my Mother does not have much money and 5 kids) and it's well, a real piece.

So, I am sucking it up. Going to go with the flow and take what the Universe is providing me. The most amazing mother in the world and a 1969 23' Land Yacht Safari with rotted out floors, rusted frame, dents, rat crap infested, asbestos tiles and a shell that is unbolted on 3 sides and bobbing to the ground. All the money I had saved so I can quit my job and make my mobile retail dreams come true have come down to this event. Well, onward and upward.

I hope that I can reach out to all on this forum as I am doing most of the renovations myself. I am new to all this stuff and I am NO mechanic. I don't know the jargon but, am googling everything and trying to learn. I'm on day 3 of renovations and have ripped out all the fixtures, interior walls and insulations. Tomorrow I start to rip out the rotted floor a little at time to see the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	216002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	216003  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	216004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	216005  

AmrcnDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, sounds very disappointing, surely.

So, just to give us some material to offer some condolences, what was the trailer that was sold out from under you, and what was the asking price? How much did the Safari cost? You may have gotten a better deal than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Texas or NY?

It will work out...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So, without knowing much about the original, resold trailer, I can offer some thoughts. First, any trailer that is ~40 years old is going to require a lot of work. The trailer you now have has had the work begun, the trailer you thought you were buying probably required much of the same remediation (ie., rotting floors, leaks, etc.), it just wasn't visible yet with all the interior in place. Had you bought that trailer, and started the gutting/remodeling, I would bet you would have run into many unhappy surprises.

I wouldn't bother with any legal action against the person with the failed sale. Unless money had changed hands, and a title signed over, or at least a bill of sale signed and dated, you don't have much basis for a lawsuit. I understand your disappointment, but dragging the incident out, and funding the lawyers for essentially nothing isn't going to help you move on.

The trailer you have pictured looks rough because the previous owner has already started disassembly, but from what I can see, it isn't as bad as you perceive, and is pretty typical of a vintage trailer that hasn't had any renovation.

So try not to get overwhelmed--people will spend several years rebuilding a vintage trailer from scratch. Seek out the assistance of other vintage owners in your area who might be able to advise you on how best to proceed, and use the forums--there is a wealth of information here.

good luck!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
The original trailer was a 1960 Landyacht, 22'. It was $1600 had all it's original windows, good axel/frame, only one dent.

The trailer my Mom scrambled to buy was $3000.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
I live in Brooklyn but, I purchased the airstream via Craigslist in San Antonio (where my family is). I am working on the airstream in San Antonio where I have the property to work on it, resources and another helping hand (Mom, grandpa). I have to fly back and forth to complete the contract job I am on in NY right now...which is how I'm making money to keep funding this project. Once the contract job is over, I will stay in SATX working on the airstream and opening the mobile shop...traveling only locally to work out all the kinks, etc.

Then, come December, I will hopefully be able to travel more nationally.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Thank you,
Yes money was exchanged and no title but, a a signed piece of paper type situation. I agree with you, they (vintage trailers) are all going to have the same issues, etc.

I am very happy this forum exists and will use it.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrcnDrifter View Post
Thank you,
Yes money was exchanged and no title but, a a signed piece of paper type situation. I agree with you, they (vintage trailers) are all going to have the same issues, etc.

I am very happy this forum exists and will use it.
Has the seller offered to return your money?
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
No, she would not answer our calls or texts after we drove by and saw it missing from her property. She only replied when my mom got a little nasty in the texts and she admitted she sold it to someone else and it was our fault we lost the airstream and our money.

We called the cops and filed a report and they told us (in the city of Marion, TX) there was nothing they could do that it was a civil matter, even though we paid her in full, she signed a paper too.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Sounds like a crime was committed to me...it is one thing to change your mind about who you are selling something to, something entirely different to pocket the money and not deliver the merchandise.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Sounds like fraud to me.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't think you need lawyers to take someone to civil court for that. Good luck. Sounds like a pretty strong case.

But on to your project, you'll find people here who have done pretty much everything you will need to do, so dig in and ask questions when needed, search old posts for answers, and I'll bet you'll have your dream on the road in no time!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
We are not getting lawyers, just taking her to civil court. We may get a judgement against her but, that does not mean she'll ever pay us back the money she stole.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Small claims?

We're here for you....

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrcnDrifter View Post
We are not getting lawyers, just taking her to civil court. We may get a judgement against her but, that does not mean she'll ever pay us back the money she stole.
No but if you have a judgement you have the ability to seize property to settle the debt, in some cases.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It looks like you are off to a good start. Be aware that 1969 models have some features that were only seen in that year, in particular the wing windows on each front corner have a squared off lower outside corner. That makes the almost impossible to find replacements so be very careful not to damage them!

Post lots of photos of your progress, you will get a TON of help here.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I read your post, and wanted to let you know that on the airstream classifieds right now there is a trailer (newer and longer) that has been converted to a clothing retail trailer. It was in Arkansas. Just thought you might want to review the ad for some ideas for when you get to the fun part.

Best of luck with your project.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
You can always put a lien on any property she owns. Do a title search at the local courthouse to see if she owns any property, then file a lien.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Corpus Christi , Texas
We have just recently gotten a 63 safari and are in the same rebuilding boat. We are in Corpus Christi, TX, maybe we can help each other!!
RevandDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Rusted elevator bolts are the bane of my existence. Seriously, I see them in my sleep. Having the shell 3/4 off isn't such a bad thing
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote